RYA Training Centre

Moderators, I hope you do not mind a little plug?! 

East Coast Motorboat Training is an RYA recognised training centre situated on the beautiful River Waveney at Somerleyton. 

The centre was established in 2015 by our Principle Chris Billson, who has over 25 years boating experience on inland waterways of the UK and at sea. We have a mission to deliver professional, quality tuition that is fun, safe and rewarding for the whole family.

Our clients range from leisure boaters with their first day boat to those with 40ft cruisers. Whether you are new to boating or have owned a boat for years, we can offer courses tailored to your needs.

Training can either be taken on our training vessel Maujon or on your own boat. Our main base is situated in East Anglia but we are happy to discuss training throughout the UK. We also run the Short Range Certificate VHF course from our classroom near Diss, Norfolk. We teach this course to a wide range of clients from private boaters to commercial clients such as local authorities.

Our courses are fully certified by the RYA for Inland Waterways Crew, Inland Waterways Helmsman and Short Range Certificate VHF.

For those wishing to boat abroad we also offer the International Certificate of Competence (ICC) training and assessments for Inland Power craft under and over 10m LOA including the CEVNI examination.

If you would prefer to concentrate more on a particular subject we can offer non RYA clinics that focus on areas to improve your skills such as Boat Handling, Crew Safety and Deckwork. These can either be as an individual or as part of a club or organisation.

For those wishing to venture onto coastal waters we can offer assisted passages either on your boat or alongside our training vessel.

To discuss your training or to find out more information on what we can offer, please do not hesitate to contact us on 07570 794196 or by email at info@eastcoastmotorboattraining.co.uk.

Edited by JawsOrca
Amended email

Hi Jenny

Thank you for your response. We do currently work with some organisations in Brundall but also love to work on every type of motorboat. We have trained those with open top day boats right through to those with 40ft cruisers, including those who work on the broads network.

Do you sail? I'd love to move the centre into teaching sailing as well but there already seems to be a number of centres operating on the broads.

Chris, strangely enough I do sail, was an RYA coach for a number of years both at Cowes itself and Chichester. Unfortunately let my qualifications lapse but hey-ho I can still sail! You are right about other organisations teaching sailing. Sailability & the Suffolk Water Sports Centre at Oulton Broad for example.

• Like 1

Hi Chris... Would most definitely interested in getting/doing the short range vhf radio course.

If you want to drop me a call to discuss I would be happy to talk to you. My number is 07570 794196. I have a couple of course dates coming up in the near future which may be convenient for you. You can also email me at info@eastcoastmotorboattraining.co.uk

Chris

Good luck Chris.

I had had boats for the last 20 odd years, but decided a few years ago to do some training. Not much help to you, but I learnt a lot and made me much more aware of what I didn't know (or thought I knew)!! And all boats handle differently - I also think handling a boat on the rivers/broads needs a lot more skill than at sea (if you take out the navigation bit) - more to hit in confined spaces!!

Would recommend everyone takes a handling course if your new or an old hand as always good to get a few tips or be shown the easy/right way to do stuff.

:welcome:

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the NBN and nice to have you onboard

The one course I have not done with the RYA that I wanted to do was the 'Inland waterways helms certificate'  I looked into it years ago with a view for getting four of us onto the course using 'B.A'.  I discovered that I was higher qualified (ala RYA) than the instructor, and that my current RYA qualifications were higher than the course I was enquiring after.  I asked the RYA head office if I could send an admin fee and have the certificate - ';NO' was the reply, you need to do the course and pay the full whack for it.  I then became somewhat sceptical realising it was just a moneymaker for the RYA so didn't bother, don't think I ever will do so now either

Griff

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the NBN and nice to have you onboard

The one course I have not done with the RYA that I wanted to do was the 'Inland waterways helms certificate'  I looked into it years ago with a view for getting four of us onto the course using 'B.A'.  I discovered that I was higher qualified (ala RYA) than the instructor, and that my current RYA qualifications were higher than the course I was enquiring after.  I asked the RYA head office if I could send an admin fee and have the certificate - ';NO' was the reply, you need to do the course and pay the full whack for it.  I then became somewhat sceptical realising it was just a moneymaker for the RYA so didn't bother, don't think I ever will do so now either

Griff

Hi Griff

What qualifications do you currently hold? There are some overlaps when it comes to RYA courses for example if you take a powerboat level 2 course you will go through leaving and arriving at a mooring. The same aspects are in the Inland Waterways Helmsman course. this can also be said for Day Skipper and Yachtmaster qualifications also. 

There are options open to you though dependant on what qualifications you hold. There is still that element of doing the course but not necessarily to whole 2 days and the full price.  

I'd be happy to discuss options open to you if you still wanted to obtain the certification.

Chris

• Like 1

Yes, it was with him,

I have not done the practical, so wont be yachting abroad, it was just for my own knowledge as it is handy to know just a little sometimes! now off to do VHF at  the end of the month then Powerboat level 2 so I can get my ICC (international certificate of competence)

He is a very good instructor and has bags of experience so you should learn a lot from him. I can recommend powerboat advanced if you want to move yourself on further, which you should find pretty easy now you have the Yachtmaster qualification. 

• Like 1