RYA Training Centre

Hi Chris, sorry for delay in replying - I had to find my logbooks - in a safe place - which is why it took me a while to find them

Competent Crew Practical sailing.    Shorebased Course day skipper for sail and power craft.    Day Skipper Tidal practical sailing course.    RYA/DoT Basic Sea Survival.    Safety Boat.    National Powerboat Level 2.   National Powerboat Advanced.    Powerboat Instructor.    Maritime Radio Short Range.

Ski boat coxswain/Instructor, RIB Coxswain, Dory Coxwain,  Fishing boat Coxswain - All Local Gibraltar RN quals

Then there is the RN quals which wouldn't mean much or be worth owt nowadays.  Maybe the Navigators Yeoman and QRB Coxswain (= Quick Reaction Boat which in N.I was a large rib capable of 70mph with 12 fully armed crew onboard)

I have no intention of going any further with power or sail, but did consider having the inland waterways certificate, it maybe kinda handy for the other skippers of 'B.A' though.  If we could do some sort of deal for the four of us together onboard 'B.A' I might consider it but would need to know what subjects are covered or tuition given

Thanks,

Griff

• 3 weeks later...

I took the RYA inland waterways helmsman course yesterday with Chris on my own boat on one of the best days weather wise of the year. We were hoping for a stiff breeze to provide a test for leaving and arriving at a mooring in wind.....calm as you like. Anyway, self taught and confident in my abilities I decided to take the course to get advice and tips and an opinion from a qualified instructor of my skills. 

Chris arrived on time as arranged, explained the course , what was required and off we went. I spent 10 years developing my ability to moor in a tight space, arrive and leave a mooring without problems but within a couple of hours , I had changed my thinking, understanding and approach to almost everything I did, and it all made perfect sense.

I don't care how good you think you are, or how many qualifications or letters you have after your name, trust me, you never stop learning on the water, and a qualified ' third eye ' on your boat underway is a great way to pick up valuable advice and tips.

I can highly recommend this course to all abilities, Chris is a likeable young man with a wealth of boating knowledge. 

PS .......... I passed ! 

• Like 6

Hi Chris,

My wife and I would like to do the Competent Crew sailing course, albeit not on the broads, might I ask a question?

Am I right in thinking that this course would not matter if the area we took it in  was tidal or not? The qualification would stand regardless.

The reason I ask is that we have done a couple of trips down the Great Glen out of Laggan with just a couple of hours basic tuition, I would like to take the course in Croatia next June and combine it with my wife's 50th. I have been told that the Adriatic, as well as the Med are classed as Non - Tidal so higher up the course ladder the qualification outcome would be different. ie  Day Skipper.

Could you please clarify this point for us

Many thanks in advance

Jon & Jo

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

My wife and I would like to do the Competent Crew sailing course, albeit not on the broads, might I ask a question?

Am I right in thinking that this course would not matter if the area we took it in  was tidal or not? The qualification would stand regardless.

The reason I ask is that we have done a couple of trips down the Great Glen out of Laggan with just a couple of hours basic tuition, I would like to take the course in Croatia next June and combine it with my wife's 50th. I have been told that the Adriatic, as well as the Med are classed as Non - Tidal so higher up the course ladder the qualification outcome would be different. ie  Day Skipper.

Could you please clarify this point for us

Many thanks in advance

Jon & Jo

Hi Jon & Jo

I will drop you a PM.

Regards

Chris

• Like 1