On countdown for 17th October

Gramps

We are on countdown less than two weeks to go before we are back on the Broads. We are hoping to visit the south this time and providing the weather is kind, hope to pass through GY between 9-30 and 10am on Monday 19th October. Looking for suggestions for mooring spot that night. thinking of Beccles, Oulton B or Waveney River Centre, What do you recommend. The party consists of myself, my son and 3 teenage grandsons. We will probably be looking at dining out in the evening.

Ron

• Like 1

When we've done the south side we've always hired on the south so I don't know which option is best for overall journey times but with crossing Breydon relatively early in the day it sounds like you'll have plenty of time for reaching your destination.

I always enjoy mooring at Beccles Yacht Station and that does give you quite a number of options for your evening meal.

Loddon is another place I always enjoy - not as many mooring spots in the basin as at Beccles if you definitely want to be able to eat out that night.

Hope you have a great time. Have you done the south side before?

• Like 1

Hi Ron

I agree with Jean Beccles is good plenty of pubs and places to eat Kings Head is a Weatherspoons also Bear and Balls as a good reputation.

Oulton Broad as a good few places am sure Peter (Jenny Morgan) will recomend

The Bell at St Olaves is good but mooring can be a bit difficult if the tide is running

Loddon as a few pubs White Horse at Chedgrave and the Swan are good there are also a couple of other pubs but they do not do food.

On the Yare there are several places fronting the river

Ship and Ferry at Reedham, Red House Cantley Ferry Surlingham

Any way wherever you go have a great time

Ray 

• Like 1

Hello SwanR

Thanks for your comments, Loddon is already noted as a possible destination for later in the week, The last time I ventured south was 40 years ago, we did hire that side twice once from Brundall and once from Thorpe Green. My son who is with me on this trip was about 4 the last time we went south.

I have a photo taken outside the "Locks" at Gedleston with myself, both my sons and our family pet (a shetland sheepdog) outside the pub, would love to go back and make comparisons and take a photo with my son and grandsons.but fear this may be restrictive tidewise. The last time there it was a pub without electricity.

Eric thanks for your input, Glad to see you are home safe and sound.

Ray, thanks for your suggestions much appreciated

Ron

Ron I would highly recommend going down the Chet to Loddon if you can. I love going down that river especially since the work that was done a couple of years ago has made it feel slightly wider than it used to.

We've hired from Brundall three times now and really enjoy the quietness of the south side with generally less river traffic than the north. Bramerton Common is a lovely mooring too. 

In fact if you go to the holiday tales and check out my week on Swan Reflection at the end of June this year, you will get a feel for all the places I really like. And there's a slideshow of some of my photos that you can watch as well should it take your fancy. :)

• Like 2

Hi Ron

All three are great stays for the night. The yacht station at Oulton Broad I would highly recommend. The River Centre is a great family environment and also has the benefit of a swimming pool for your grandsons. 

I'm sure wherever you choose you will have a fantastic time. What is the name of your boat? I am out on the water that week and will keep an eye out for you.

Chris

Hi Ron everyone has said it,just to add Oulton is a good spot,I would prebook even now,you can also get the train into Lowestoft,Coldham hall Surlingham,also the ferry house.Both of which very good pubs for food and drink.Go into Norwich,but perhaps not Friday or Saturday nights.

Ian

Hi Ron

All three are great stays for the night. The yacht station at Oulton Broad I would highly recommend. The River Centre is a great family environment and also has the benefit of a swimming pool for your grandsons. 

I'm sure wherever you choose you will have a fantastic time. What is the name of your boat? I am out on the water that week and will keep an eye out for you.

Chris

Hi Chris we will be on Majorca 1 out of Stalham, don't know where our first night stop will be, will depend on takeover time, but we hope to be at Acle on the Sunday night ready for passage through GY on Monday morning.

Ron

Thanks for all the replies people, you have certainly given us something to think about. Beccles looks favourite now. The lads are 14 16 and 19 years, the young ones are more into fishing  than the delights of Lowestoft, they have been there several times on shore based holidays. 

What are your thoughts on Thorpe Green or the commissioners cut?

Ron

Morning - Commissioners Cut has been relatively empty recently and a good spot for fishing plus you can walk to the pubs and bus stop to Norwich. Thorpe Green is lovely - it is next to a road but it's also good for fishing, bus into Norwich and a choice of pubs. You might be limited on times to arrive and leave due to the bridge heights - depends very much on the boat you have - some cannot get under at all! Have a great time - the colours on the river are fabulous at present! 29bdee5ce22f73d6443b43dd23671e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Agree about Thorpe Green, and taking a bus into the city, but, it use to be a limited service, and stopped quite early I seem to remember? It could of course have been changed. Lovely spot. Began many holidays from the old Hearts yard.

cheersIain.

• Like 1

Air Draft at 6ft-7in we may have a little leeway either side of Low Water perhaps (weather permitting). Not sure who 's yard we departed from at thorpe but do remember the car being parked somewhere by a member of staff and we were ferried across river for our boat.

We hoping to travel through Norwich, is there plenty of turning room at the head of Hirecraft navigation?

Ron

Hi Ron

Chris

What is the name of your boat Chris?

Hi Gramps,

Plenty of turning space before Bishopsgate Bridge at the Yacht Station. Pending what year you used Hearts or later New Horizon at Thorpe, the parking was in a grass compound down the road. I always parked my car myself there.

The tide rises quite quick at Thorpe Green so watch your height.

You can see the width in this pic at the Yacht atation.

P1000554.thumb.JPG.e08f835a0577e47a1fad6

Edited by BroadScot

Bus service good now- it serves the business park, lots of new Houses and beyond. Unsure when it stops but there is always a taxi. Yes good turning space before Bishops Bridge some great old and new bits along the River Wensum - the industry of the past meets the modern riverside developments of today! Thorpe railway bridges were around 7.5 feet on Sunday but as mentioned that changes fast. Enjoy! a89080a8977e1f27c2327e0d74cc8ec7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1