upton mooring

nollock

It is very tight at the end of navigation, but not impossible pending how many of the Boatyard yachts are moored up. I do believe you could moor near the mouth on the dyke at one time, but not 100% sure now. Its most certainly worth a walk to the village pub.

cheersIain. 

The White Horse is one of the best pubs on the Broads and a must visit IMHO 

As Iain says it is tight but mooring is possible. It very much depends what boats are moored at Whelptons yard. If you have bow thrusters this is a place where they can be useful. I have moored there many times and always managed to find a spot. I have also moored at the entrance to the dyke, I think there is a no mooring sign but not sure if it is enforced. Brilliant pub though, well worth the effort. 

Edited by NorfolkNog

The White Horse is one of the best pubs on the Broads and a must visit IMHO 

As Iain says it is tight but mooring is possible. It very much depends what boats are moored at Whelptons yard. If you have bow thrusters this is a place where they can be useful. I have moored there many times and always managed to find a spot. I have also moored at the entrance to the dyke, I think there is a no mooring sign but not sure if it is enforced. Brilliant pub though, well worth the effort. 

Thanks Howard, I wasn't sure about that mooring at the mouth of the Dyke.

cheersIain.

• Like 1

It is narrow but there should be space to turn.. if not turn the boat around using ropes i.e  no power from the engine. The pub there is worth the walk, it's owned and run by the local community and is well worth a visit. 

Certainly the safest way to turn a boat in a tight spot, and to be fair, often the quickest. It also saves raising the pulse rates of any boat owners down there too.

To help you to turn, try to use the wind if any, that might help you, when deciding whether to start pushing out the bow or the stern, and on rivers, with flow, consider that too. 

• Like 3

I'd agree with that. The key to mooring at Upton is to go very carefully and take your time. There are quite a few private boats down there and yachts too, some even have the sticking out bits on the front :-o  :-)  

I've got quite a few photos of Upton Dyke, I'll try to dig them out. 

Hi Again

Found a couple of photos mainly of the moorings at the end of the dyke but one of the corner on the main river. as I mentioned earlier you can moor here although the bank is a bit low. I'm sure there is a small no mooring sign but I don't think its an official BA one. I have seen boats moored here. If you do moor on the corner It is a bit of a long walk back from the pub though, particularly at night! (been there, got the T shirt) Best to head carefully down the dyke if possible. On the left (heading down the dyke)  are the grassy public moorings shown on the photos. On the right is the concrete quay heading of Eastwood Whelpton. This is the best place to moor and you can if you are on hire boat. As shown on the photos it can be a bit congested if all their yachts are in although they are all lifted out of the water out of season and there is usually room anyway, just look out for the pointy bits!"

I can't recall ever having failed to moor there. Enjoy!

upton no yachts.jpg

Upton Public mooring.jpg

Upton from Eastwood Whelpton side.jpg

Upton - view up dyke towards river.jpg

• Like 3

You're most welcome. Fair Prince will be breeze. You have excellent visibility from that raised steering position. Might be worth sliding back the canopy if you can to get maximum all round vision. You also have bow thrusters which will turn you on a sixpence if needed. Just remember to activate them before you go down. 

Take it slow and steady and you will be fine. Oh, and please do let us know how you get on!  cheers 

Wow... I remember Upton Dyke when there were no private moorings, ( I think lol) you could start at Whelptons and walk that side of the bank all the way to the Bure, and they were all visiting craft, mostly hire craft, as we were.

Oh are you that old? :naughty: I too remember the dyke having more public mooring spaces then.

cheersIain

• Like 1

Upton Dyke holds a very special place in my heart, it was the last time I saw my father... My father and step mother had taken their caravan and parked it in the field next to Whelptons, we happened to have chosen that week to trail our Viking 23 to the Broads. So we took them out on several day trips, and on the final day, I helped my Dad to connect the caravan to his Discovery, we waved them off and continued our holiday for an extra week. 

We returned home, and a week later we received "The Phone call" that he had died, so it was the last time we saw him alive.

The following year in Mid June, I was helping my son move into rented accomodation in Great Yarmouth, for his industrial training, from University. On the evening of the 16th, Father's day, I drove alone to Upton dyke... and had a quiet moment to myself... I felt I had to have closure, other wise I couldn't go there again. We have been there many times since, and I always have that quiet moment.

Edited by Viking23
  • Like 10

Many thanks again,

and a very loving story too Viking if I may say so!

My Father normally trailed his Sunstar 18 to the Broads, but this year I think was too much for him, it was quite an effort to get the Bilge keel yacht onto the trailer, but he still wanted a Broads holiday, had he discussed his plans with us before hand, I could have been available to assist him, with his boat, as I had for many years as a youth. 

cheers norfolk nog for photo's real handy to get an insight before i start slinging fair prince down there blind, an thanks to you too speed triple for your pic, i take it you own a trumpet (triumph) with that monica?

I certainly have, but not a Speedtriple. I own 2 Daytonas, a 955i, and a Daytona 1000. The 955 is down here in not so sunny Dorset, but the Thou is in my brothers back garden up in Kent, and is in need a full restoration. The Thou was a lovely comfortable bike but the 955i is a more sports focused bike, and the riding position makes for aching wrists and hands if i ride it round the forest. I should have bought the Speedtriple, but bought with my heart rather than my head.

I`m now looking at buying a Bonneville, but theres a far more up to date new version coming out next year (i think?) with sharper more posative handling and better braking, plus it`s an 1100 twin, so i might just wait and see what i can afford nearer the time. Karen hates 955i, too uncomfortable on the back, but found the Thou really nice, but her favourite is the Bonnie, and she`ll go on the back of that.

How about yourself, do you own a Trumpet, or any other make of bike for that matter?. Griff (Broad Ambition) has a Tiger 1050 which he absolutely loves, and there have been several other forumites in the past which either own, or have owned bikes in the pas. Maybe we should start the forum hairy bikers branch?

• Like 2

Indeed i do,

been a biker since79, both older brother's an me sister at  few  points have bikes, bought my KTM990 supermoto brand new in 09, me an some lads ave done a few GP's too! iv'e never had a bike like it, cant stop laughin everytime i ride it, 

still better not harp on as we'll get told to find another type of forum,

Happy bikin & boatin

• Like 2