Southern Broad water levels

Steve2604

Hi Steve

Also, if you intend doing any "wild" mooring, be very careful to ensure that there is sufficient water under the keel. Spots which look very inviting at high water can be far too shallow at low water. Your boat hook makes a great impromptu depth gauge!

A warm Welcome Aboard the NBN, Steve.

Yes it is true and if you're not moored on a floating pontoon you'll need to use "springs". That's the way you use the mooring ropes and the boat yard will show you how to do it.

Have a great time and have you planned an itinerary yet?   :wave

We plan on spending most of the time on the northern broads but planning on travelling to Norwich. Other than that havent planned anything yet. Its just me my wife and the dog. We just want a relaxing week, is there any paticular stand out pretty places to stop?

Steve,

If you want a relaxing week then stay on the Northern broads.  Anywhere "above" Acle is scenic!  There are equally good spots on the southern broads, but you have to travel between them.

If you stop "North" then there are many villages, broads, staithes etc. or just "wild moorings" that you can stop at, so plan not to go far and stop often to explore.

You can visit Norwich by car, bus, train, or taxi from many locations, but Wroxham springs to mind as having most forms of transport available.

Have a good week.

• Like 2

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself.

Lots of pretty places on the Northern & Southern Broads, but some of them are dependent on the height of the boat you have hired.

You more than likely would not be able to get under Potter Heighem bridge, but you may get under Wroxham Bridge (in both cases you will have to contact the pilot to take you through).

Womak Staithe is a good place to moor and there is only a short walk up the lane to the Ludham village for provisions and food at the pub.

Stokesby is also a good place to moor, we prefer the green if there is any space, if not then outside the Ferry Inn, a good shop here behind the pub that has a cafe and cakes to die for.

Horning again the green if there is space, if not there is three pubs to moor at.

Acle moor at the Bridge Inn if you can.

Loads of places on the Southern Broads and if you are going to head up to Norwich, go up the River Chet to Loddon it is well worth the diversion.

We also like mooring at Bramerton Common or outside the Waters Edge pub, (just up the lane/river).

As already said by Jonathan the train service is great on the Broads with several trains per day. 

Please let the forum members know how your first time on the Broads goes.

If you want any advice please ask we have a wealth of knowledge shared by the forum members.

Go onto the Richardson's website to check out their first timers and information video's.

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/first-timers/

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Steve,

If you want a relaxing week then stay on the Northern broads.  Anywhere "above" Acle is scenic!  There are equally good spots on the southern broads, but you have to travel between them.

If you stop "North" then there are many villages, broads, staithes etc. or just "wild moorings" that you can stop at, so plan not to go far and stop often to explore.

You can visit Norwich by car, bus, train, or taxi from many locations, but Wroxham springs to mind as having most forms of transport available.

Have a good week.

Due to the boat we have we cant get under potter heigham, Wroxham & Wayford bridges. I only planned on doing the south aswell as i thought maybe we'd run out of places. Which side of Wroxham is the bridge? Could I actually get to Wroxham? We are picking boat up from Herbert Woods.

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself.

Lots of pretty places on the Northern & Southern Broads, but some of them are dependent on the height of the boat you have hired.

You more than likely would not be able to get under Potter Heighem bridge, but you may get under Wroxham Bridge (in both cases you will have to contact the pilot to take you through).

Womak Staithe is a good place to moor and there is only a short walk up the lane to the Ludham village for provisions and food at the pub.

Stokesby is also a good place to moor, we prefer the green if there is any space, if not then outside the Ferry Inn, a good shop here behind the pub that has a cafe and cakes to die for.

Horning again the green if there is space, if not there is three pubs to moor at.

Acle moor at the Bridge Inn if you can.

Loads of places on the Southern Broads and if you are going to head up to Norwich, go up the River Chet to Loddon it is well worth the diversion.

We also like mooring at Bramerton Common or outside the Waters Edge pub, (just up the lane/river).

As already said by Jonathan the train service is great on the Broads with several trains per day. 

Please let the forum members know how your first time on the Broads goes.

If you want any advice please ask we have a wealth of knowledge shared by the forum members.

Go onto the Richardson's website to check out their first timers and information video's.

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/first-timers/

Regards

Alan

Hi, The boat we have will not go under Potter, Wroxham & Wayford bridges. I hope that wont limit our exploring too much

Hello Steve,

You can get to Wroxham, but there is not that many moorings before the bridge. You can pre-book  a mooring at the Hotel Wroxham (01603 782061) also there is a few mooring spaces at the day boat hire company just before the hotel.

You can also moor at other Hire companies bases (but not on change over days) there are a number in Wroxham, your hire company will give you details of this, but if not ask.

Regards

Alan

You will find lots to do for 1 week.  Look here http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/topic/8666-western-light-2-26th-sep-to-3-oct/ for my week (a week ago!), starting from Herbert Woods.  There are many other "holiday tales" here which will give you ideas.

Wroxham bridge is in the middle of the town.  There is mooring available both sides of the bridge.  You can usually stop in another of the boat yards for a few hours as long as you ask them.

I saw Alan's reply just as I was about to "Submit" this.

Steve, if you are here for just a week then, as much I like 'down South', I'd stay up North. Plenty to do and see in October. If you should come down South then yes, tides are a factor but as a consideration rather than a problem. If you stick to popular moorings then simply ask other boaters, bound to be someone around who knows the local ropes. I've been here a long time and I still ask;).

Edited by JennyMorgan
  • Like 3

Steve, if you are here for just a week then, as much I like 'down South', I'd stay up North. Plenty to do and see in October. If you should come down South then yes, tides are a factor but as a consideration rather than a problem. If you stick to popular moorings then simply ask other boaters, bound to be someone around who knows the local ropes. I've been here a long time and I still ask;).

Thank you for you advice. I think after peoples advice we will stay up north. Aslong as theres plenty of places to walk my dog

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the NBN forum:wave. If you are on the rivers this week our paths may cross. Look out for a NBN burgee on Sparkling Horizon. I am 99% certain the aptly named Dog Inn at Ludham Bridge allow dogs in there pub. Have a great holiday.

cheersIain. 

Sorry, Steve, was sure that there was a thread dedicated to dog friendly establishments but I'm either wrong or so patently incapable that I can't find it. Hopefully someone infinitely more able will come along shortly and all will be revealed. 

no worries Jenny. Thank you for trying much appreciated

Hi Steve, :welcome: enjoy your time on the boat and north river is a great place. We can only get up to north river from Brundall on our two week hols, because of the boat height and the bridge height at GYS and of course the tides.

Enjoy  :dance.

Regards 

Marina  :Stinky

And because someones so much of a wimp over breydon so therefore someone else can only be bothered to do it once a year...

Edited by JawsOrca