Aldi, RSPB & The Broads

JennyMorgan

Why I won't be shopping at Aldi:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/about-aldi/useful-information/aldi-and-the-rspb/
The RSPB's support for coastal flooding in Norfolk might make homes for animals but at what cost to us humans? Then there is the RSPB's support for rebranding the Broads as well as the RSPB's unhelpful plans for the Broads, all issues that have come up on the forum. Sorry, Aldi, it's Lidl from now on! No, PLEASE don't lets have any more ad nauseum debates, we've done that to death! It's all down to personal decisions, just thought that might be interested, so you can decide.

I know i`m a bit synical at times, but i think this is nothing more than Aldi`s attempt to be seen to do the right thing, as well as trying to make money by being seen as promoting a major wildlife trust.

I wish big buisness would just concentrate on "the buisness" rather than try and play on being seen as taking the moral high ground.

They`re a leading supermarket aimed at bringing us customers our shopping at the cheapest price, so i wish they would just concentrate on that.

Moral brainwashing is a phrase that comes to mind.

• Like 2

I find myself in an odd and unusual position here, Aldi are in the position of having to charge 5p per bag and although obviously intended as a publicity stunt they have stayed within the spirit of the rules and chosen a charity to partner.

they could have, as it is being reported Sainsbury's are, found a loophole to keep the 5p.

Personaly the RSPB would not have been my first choice with many more charity's in my mind more deserving but I think both Aldis and on this occasional the governments intentions are honourable and may actually go some way to reducing the bag crises littering our fields, hedgerows and river banks. 

Some folks will sit for 15 minutes in a que at a petrol station because the  one with the empty forecourt across the road is 0.05p per litre more, saving 25p on their 50 litres of fuel. Just think of the lengths the same people will go to to save 50p on the 10 carriers from the weekly shop.

• Like 2

I have never understood this fuel thing. I don't know accurately what petrol costs. If the gauge or light/buzzer says fill, I do.

I too have serious reservations with regards to the RSPB but feel Aldi's PR Dept have tried to steal ground on the competition by linking the bag issue to a conservation body.

If my memory serves me correctly it was Natural England that was behind the "let the sea take over" non maintenance of hard defences between Happisburgh and Winterton. Though I am sure the RSPB would have welcomed such a move if it did not impact on membership revenue to much!

• Like 1

RE the petrol issue, down here in Dorset, we live not far from a Sainsburys , with a fuel station. There`s another sainsburys about 6 miles away in the outskirts of Poole, yet the one near us regularly charges at least 3p per litre MORE than the one near Poole. They`re both Sainsburys, so why the big difference in per litre charges?. It seems because our village is looked upon as "rural", and the other one is in a town, they must feel we are better off, and think we can afford to pay more?. It`s just another con, and i wonder if they do like Ian says (Senator) and keep ALL the 5p for carrier bags?.

Hi all,

As we had this plastic bag charge a while now, unless things have changed up here, ALL the  supermarkets are donating the 5p to charity. That includes Sainsbury's, they don't have a lot of stores up here, but we have two about 10 miles apart, and yes the fuel is fractionally dearer in Irvine than the Ayr/Prestwick one. Only by 1p though.

If you want eye watering fuel prices, try Wetherby Services, 120.9 petrol and diesel! It was not busy as we drove past it.

cheersIain

Whilst I haven't yet found printed evidence of the RSPB's support for those flooding plans I feel sure that that was the case. If I'm wrong on that one  then I apologise:

http://www.happisburgh.org.uk/press/telegraph280308.html

With the greatest respect JM I see no merit in bringing that up again and I am sure many that live in the area that was allegedly (but never really was) under threat would feel the same. 

RE the petrol issue, down here in Dorset, we live not far from a Sainsburys , with a fuel station. There`s another sainsburys about 6 miles away in the outskirts of Poole, yet the one near us regularly charges at least 3p per litre MORE than the one near Poole. They`re both Sainsburys, so why the big difference in per litre charges?. It seems because our village is looked upon as "rural", and the other one is in a town, they must feel we are better off, and think we can afford to pay more?. It`s just another con, and i wonder if they do like Ian says (Senator) and keep ALL the 5p for carrier bags?.

We have something similar here with Tesco. Stalham is always dearer than, for instance, the store at Blue Boar. The reason, apparently, is that the planning approval for the Stalham store took steps to ensure that a couple of local garages would not be forced out of business.

If my memory serves me correctly it was Natural England that was behind the "let the sea take over" non maintenance of hard defences between Happisburgh and Winterton. Though I am sure the RSPB would have welcomed such a move if it did not impact on membership revenue to much!

Quite correct ChrisB and it was not a direct recommendation it was one of a series of options. It was no more in effect that an analysis where alternatives are slung up on a white board for further debate. Of course, a well now publisher got hold of it and....well that is history that is best left that way now. But it was nothing to do with the RSPB or there is no evidence that I have seen to suggest that, although it might fit some agendas to paint the picture that way. And I am no fan of RSPB.

Edited by Soundings

You are entitled to your opinions JM as are the rest of us. I was very close to the issue you initially raised and likewise I shall leave it at that. But yes I agree the RSPB's influent is something to be concerned about.

Edited by Soundings
  • Like 1