Heater exhaust silencers - Warning!

Regulo

Just a quick warning to anyone thinking of DIYing a heater exhaust silencer. Be sure to get a MARINE gas tight one. I sent for one off ebay, not realising most of them on there are not gas sealed, and are specifically to be fitted externally (usually on motor homes and trucks). We can do without any tragedies.

• Like 5

As with any burning appliance, it is wise to fit a carbon monoxide detector, you never know when an exhaust pipe can fail, or even the seal between the cabin air and the combustion air in the heater. A motor often drives a fan for both, relying on a seal on the shaft.

We often run these heaters without maintenance, only looking at them when something goes wrong.

• Like 3

I have a concern about running these and other motors on moorings. We are a low freeboard and canvas sided when moored. It scares me when a neighbour runs stuff because we are very likely in the path of his exhaust. 

Yes we have a CO detector, but not all sailies will be equipped with one. If you are moored by one, please check where your exhaust is in relation to them. 

Zingara's skipper will have an expert view on this with a knowledge of both sides of the equation, I'd be interested to know if my concerns have foundation. :)