Tis I the pesky mod...

BroadScot

Hi folks,

Well if you read my pal Scoot's blog, you will see I have had to leave him behind. Sadly just not enough spare space for him on the boat.

I have used many yards on the broads, over many decades, and I really have to repeat what I said earlier, hats off to Horizon Craft. Best welcome ever!:clap

May I just give you a few examples, we were greeted as soon as I stopped the car, by Jason, and Ruth (SWMBO) went and did the paperwork etc.

Jason then came over and told me to bring my car down to the boat. Sparkling Horizon lives up to its name, we are two weeks from the end of the season and its barely showing any battle scars of note.

Once on board, it was noted the beds were made up for us, and lovely towels rolled up as well, arranged on the bed, almost like a cruise liner!

So once all bits and bobs on board we were given a quick show of the relevant controls.

No trial run, and we were off down to Stokesby to settle down to watch the rugby. BA and the rest of Lads Week passed us, and we did get waves from the two Jewel boats.

The water is like glass again tonight, just as it was in May. Hope to head for Womack Water and Potter Heigham tomorrow.

And so to bed. 

Night All.

cheersIain

• Like 12

What a great start, it's always lovely to get a warm welcome, we are down south from Monday so hoping the weather holds.

Have a great time, here's hoping we will too, never been with Brooms before, sure all will be fine.

If you're crossing over to the south we may catch sight of you.

Best Regards

Jon & Jo

• Like 1

Glad you arrived safe and sound Iain. Never ever hired from Horizon Craft but always heard good reports. We have hired from their neighbours Bridgecraft and can't fault them either. Acle's a great place to start.

The weather looks promising for the next week so let's hope you are as lucky as we were.

Have a great time

• Like 2

Hope you're waking up to a peaceful morning. I keep watching the webcams hoping Barnes' yard looks full so there'll be less boats out but they have a special offer on and I think the rivers sound busier than last October. I'll be interested to see what you think as we're out on Fair Prince, probably number 2, from Tuesday.

Have a great week. :)

• Like 1

Evening all,

Woke up to a lovely morning river like glass but only briefly. I would call it a stiffish breeze got up but not vicious in any way. Gracies pals, the flappy things:naughty: were out in profusion from Thurne Mouth heading for Potter Heigham, looks like some began in full sail but had to go into the reeds and rejig things I think, I could be wrong, just looked that way.

Our first destination was Womack Water, and it was busy! Much busier than in May. Luckily one of NBD finest moved and I reversed in to the vacant spot. Not as easily as I would have liked. Sparky my name for the boat, well it cuts down typing has a very high rev nanni engine, and it appears if not set at those revs, it cuts out, hey ho something new to challenge us.

We had just settled for lunch when the mobby went, a miracle in itself as EE is rubbish at Womack Water. It was a text from young Alan (Jaws Orca) asking where we were and could he call and say hello with Dave. I sent a text and after much footering my text went to him, job done!

They duly arrived about an hour later, and we had a right good chin wag, I did most  of the talking! What a decent lad, well both lads, Ian and Marina you should be very proud of Alan. He even had a 0% San Miguel!:naughty:

We :wave goodbye and headed for Potter Heigham, well you have to, Lathams, yes anno rubbish now, but maybe improve Ruth said. It is full of the C word clobber I was informed by SWMBO, all organised even Santa's Grotto is erected for use in late November!

Oh forgot, peeked into HW yard, full of their craft so we are moored across from their bridge entry.

Time to try and get my Sky Go working. Take care all

Night night, more to follow.

cheersIain.

p.s. Gracie, Ruth couldn't resist touching Dave's spikey hair!:naughty:

• Like 9

Lol really good to meet up with you both! After so much chatting online! I really thought we would never be in the same spot! Big shame there's no space for scoot though :( Brilliant chat too lol. Thanks for the erm beer lol!! Have a great trip and hope to see you again on the next NBN meet up! cheers 

Not guilty JM, this skipper is oop North all week. I  bet they had a shock though.

Todays boating news is brief. Engine run for four hours, me in bed listening to the said engine!

My back has flared up - the joys of arthritis - so we are still at Potter Heigham, yes, anno breaking the rules staying more than 24 hours on the mooring, but needs must, just unfit to handle the boat today.

Ruth brought me back a slice of that very nice home made drizzle lemon sponge cake from the coffee shop at the bridge.

Hope to go back to the yard tomorrow and use the car and "Scoot"  poor bugga will be feeling very lonely at the yard. 

cheersIain

Weather so far has been awfy guid.:party:

• Like 7

Agree with Eric, my lovely, get your back better so you can enjoy your holiday, I am sure people won't mind you running the engine and staying a bit longer at the moorings under the circumstances, take care :kiss

Grace

Edited by Gracie

If ya are still stuck in bed tomorrow Mr Pesky One, let me know. My humans are up there checking up on one of my good friends and would be happy to pop along and take the preverbial....

Do you need a chocolate parcel delivered? Would it help? Shall I tell Scoot for you? I bet he's got a wicked sense of humour on him.

Anyway, enough of that. You get that back working again chap and enjoy yourselves.

• Like 2

If ya are still stuck in bed tomorrow Mr Pesky One, let me know. My humans are up there checking up on one of my good friends and would be happy to pop along and take the preverbial....

Do you need a chocolate parcel delivered? Would it help? Shall I tell Scoot for you? I bet he's got a wicked sense of humour on him.

Anyway, enough of that. You get that back working again chap and enjoy yourselves.

Oh, well said you luscious lass!    :clap

Get them humans to bring you a barrow of chocolate!    :kiss

JA I am a shy retarded type I couldn't possibly take the proverbial....but...Scoot can!:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Hello all,

Well, I have sad news, I had to return home from Norfolk. It looks like that was one boat too far for this old decrepit body of mine. Arthritis is one thing, add being a Chronic Psoriasis Sufferer, was just too much. I rested Monday all day in the hope it would maybe calm down, but, sadly this was not to be. Tuesday, Ruth steered the boat most of the way back to the yard at Acle, I managed to reverse it in to the basin quay, where one of the many helpful staff there tied us up. He duly refilled the diesel, and all the paper work etc completed. Jason the boss kindly reversed my car outside to the boat so that we could reload the car.

I rested on the bed which caused all the problem its a cracking little cruiser but not for one with a less nibble body.

We left the yard at 6.30pm, just as it happens the rain came thumping down, so as always driving I take my time to readjust to SPEED! The A47 was not too busy and getting around Norwich was easier than expected.

Made go time to Kings Lynn, Then of course its our "favourite" road the A17 or in this case tonight the road into Lincoln!

Yes you read right, Lincoln, many of the roads were closed for overnight roadworks so it was a big diversion to Lincoln and then back out the road towards Newark. Eventually getting on to the A1 heading south first then off and back on to head North. My target for a break was Wetherby Services. May I add at this point without cruise control, driving would not have been so easy. Anyway we arrived at 10pm at the Services.  

Decision made to book into the Days Inn, never used before, but will in the future! The room was well set out, and the bed for me was brilliant! A good nights kip was had there.

We packed up the overnight bag, and left Wetherby at 10am. So glad we decided to stay overnight there, as we heard the A1 and A66 were also shut that night for roadworks.

A very nice drive over the A66 and a short break at Southwaite, we were home just before 2.15pm.

As the old saying goes, East/West hames best! It was not an easy choice, but it was the sensible one. I honestly do not know if I will be fit and able to holiday on a boat again. Time will tell on that one.

Sorry no pics, worth showing to all of you. This was not an easy blog to write.

cheersIain.

• Like 9