Tolls

RayandCarole

Going back to the OP,

How are the BA justifying there current increase, given that inflation is 0 and they are supposed to be reducing their overall costs in line with other Government departments?

Given the above surely this years tolls should be lower than last years

Edited by senator
  • Like 4

Coming from ea waters to the broads is way cheaper you lot don't know how lucky you are. On the great Ouse  you get broken locks, lots of flooding ( navigation closed), lots of weed and some very shallow parts. And cost nearly twice as much. 

Coming from ea waters to the broads is way cheaper you lot don't know how lucky you are. On the great Ouse  you get broken locks, lots of flooding ( navigation closed), lots of weed and some very shallow parts. And cost nearly twice as much. 

Quite true John, the Broads even with the much maligned BA is envied by many EA toll payers, as that agency is just as unaccountable, being a huge government department.

I have a cousin with a boat on the Great Ouse, and he's had many a moan with his ludicrous toll fees and regular faults like guillotine locks being faulty, needing to be operated by staff, and therefore unusable after 6pm.  Now that's a real obstruction to navigation......

Only one hire fleet in ely 10-12 boats may be. I don't know what they pay . I used to pay £444 for my 27ft boat on the ouse, about 100 mls of water ways.

people always go on about tolls going up a few quid but don't mined paying up to £40/ft for mooring in a marina.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

I emailed the BA today about a large diesel slick going up river past Brundall.,   the obvious category  was safety, so I selected that,  I received an automated reply saying they would respond within 10 days. 

I just hope they never have an email about something urgent.  

I know I could ring, and I did,  but who in the real world can afford to ignore emails for up to 10 days.   

Edited by psychicsurveyor

Only one hire fleet in ely 10-12 boats may be. I don't know what they pay . I used to pay £444 for my 27ft boat on the ouse, about 100 mls of water ways.

people always go on about tolls going up a few quid but don't mined paying up to £40/ft for mooring in a marina.

Other areas pay a higher charge than the Broads overall. But many other areas are more affluent and have fewer boats and a bigger infrastructure such as locks. 

Actually JA.. There is the breydon mud which the SOB can't get to because it's built for maintenance work on wind farms and not rescuing people from the norfolk broads...

You forgot to add - SOB is also for swanning around in with their noses in the air.    I shall never forget the day we were moored next to SOB and hubby went up to say hello and was completely and utterly blanked by the entire crew.   Rude , Ignorant,  up their own backsides !!!! you pick.

Edited by Hylander
  • Like 2

.......You forgot to add - SOB is also for swanning around in with their noses in the air.    I shall never forget the day we were moored next to SOB and hubby went up to say hello and was completely and utterly blanked by the entire crew.   Rude , Ignorant,  up their own backsides !!!! you pick........

But then again, rudeness and ignorance are human traits which some people are naturally gifted with from birth.

Maybe it's unfair to blame the poor old boat for that.

I bet those same people could have acted just as obnoxiously in a standard BA launch...... :rolleyes:

I have it on very good authority that fraternisation is now officially discouraged. Heaven forbid that Rangers are seen in a pub talking to us prols during their lunch breaks. How differant to Broads Beat where fraternisation is very much to the fore, although maybe not in a boozer! One Ranger was telling me that being shouted at and abused is now far from uncommon, something that would never have happened a few years ago. For generations there has always been an excellent relationship between the Little People and the River Inspectors / Rangers, still strong with the locals apparently, a pity that it is now under threat because of the policies of one man. At one time we were all in it together, working for a common purpose, the Broads. The trust with the executive has gone, the relationship with the Rangers is under threat, such a shame.

Edited by JennyMorgan
  • Like 6

I have it on very good authority that fraternisation is now officially discouraged. 

What absolute twaddle!  Rangers are most definitely not discouraged from chatting to the general public and boaters in particular - it is seen as a key part of their role - and most of them are more than happy to spend a little time with folk.  They can't always stop - there are jobs to be done - but they will when they can.  

Agreed they're not going to have a pint with you at lunchtime - imagine the furore that would cause on here; "I saw a Ranger in uniform knocking back pints at lunchtime and then setting off in his launch, what if an emergency occurred".  The days of the village 'bobby' having a social drink with the locals are also long gone.  But that's indicative of a general change in our society that makes boozing on the job less acceptable than it once might have been.

• Like 2

Bob, remember Hylander's experience with the SOB crew, she's not the first to make similar comments.

Now, you may consider my comments absolute twaddle but I wouldn't have made the comment if it was groundless. I have heard, first hand, the same from two different sources, both within the BA so I have absolutely no reason to doubt it. I have also heard the same from two good friends that I trust implicitly. I don't make groundless accusations.

• Like 2

What absolute twaddle!  Rangers are most definitely not discouraged from chatting to the general public and boaters in particular - it is seen as a key part of their role - and most of them are more than happy to spend a little time with folk.  They can't always stop - there are jobs to be done - but they will when they can......

That's certainly my impression too, Bobdog.

That's always been the case in my experience, and is undoubtedly encouraged, they being the public facing ambassadors of the Authority.

It would indeed be illogical to actually encourage them to be rude and aloof.

Broads forum users have always been most appreciative of the BA's  "men on the ground", even the select  individuals vehemently opposed to the management.

It's a real shame if they're going to be shunned and bad-mouthed now, just as a means to an end.

Anyway, back to topic. When it comes to costs that have to be carried by the Authority we mustn't forget the Catfield Fen people who are challenging the BA over the National Park re-branding. Educated guesses suggest costs exceeding one hundred thousand are on the books. I doubt that in the ordinary run of things that the BA can afford these challenges, in other words the BA needs more money. Serious questions need to be asked. I feel a letter to my MP coming on!

• Like 1

Educated guesses suggest costs exceeding one hundred thousand are on the books. I doubt that in the ordinary run of things that the BA can afford these challenges, in other words the BA needs more money. Serious questions need to be asked. I feel a letter to my MP coming on!

Simples JM...... BOATTTT

Bung on another thousand to the toll     ! I'll get my coat!:coat: Only kidding!

cheersIain

• Like 1

Quite true John, the Broads even with the much maligned BA is envied by many EA toll payers, as that agency is just as unaccountable, being a huge government department.

I have a cousin with a boat on the Great Ouse, and he's had many a moan with his ludicrous toll fees and regular faults like guillotine locks being faulty, needing to be operated by staff, and therefore unusable after 6pm.  Now that's a real obstruction to navigation......

With all due respect Strow, just because one authority is much cheaper than another, it`s absolutely no justification whatsoever to increase costs if it`s not warranted. I think the comments regarding the Fenland locks etc etc is wholly irrelavent in relation to the tidal Broads, especially when you`ve already raised the issue re Mutford lock, and how it SHOULD`NT BE in the BA`s remit, which incidently, i agree with you wholeheartedly.

Re your earlier comments about your good self being well known for defending the BA, you have every rite to do so, and i`m sure we all respect your opinion?.

You and me in agreement over something Strow?,  that has to be a first?.

Edited by SPEEDTRIPLE
  • Like 1

There are three boats fewer for 2016 from one small yard already and a significant likelihood of a number of others being sold out of hire from one other yard. At least one northern yard appears to be shrinking too. 

Some of this contraction may be taken up by new builds which I am not keeping up with, but only two smaller yards appear to be building anything. We can only afford to build our small pod vessels (and not many either). It's just 19ft long, but the toll for this was around £460 this year. 

I assume the three boats from the small yard are the three that Maffetts have deleted from their web site Andy?. They have gone back to the two wooden ones "Swallow and Merlin". A real shame because of the time and money invested in the three newer boats is all waisted.  I do sometimes wonder whether there should be some form of assistance for the smaller operaters, as the much bigger yards can stand the extra costs much easier, though any increase will have a negative effect on ALL fleets, large and small, and i`m sure everyone on this forum appreciates all the hard work that you, and others like you put in?. The big problem is, appreciation DOES`NT pay the bills.

Still, never mind, when there`s no boating on the Broads left, the BA will have to tax the RSPB and local angling clubs instead?.

bigger yards have different costs and restraints that the 'one man band' can ignore. 

sounds a bit unfair to suggest big yards rake it in, the answer is to diversify, and try to find something which pays, a bit like if you think you  don't get paid enough for the job you do.

• Like 2