Earwigs

fishtone

Anyone any ideas how to keep earwigs away.I always put conkers on to help keep spiders away but the boat seems to have been taken over by earwigs this Autumn. Perhaps its the lack of spiders causing the problem. I know its an Old Wives Tale but conkers seem to work for me.

Hi Tony,

We had some inside the canopy last year, we removed them all but found more again, I saw one that was blown onto the top of the canopy, we were in the marina and the trees are not that near. 

We also had an issue last year from earwigs dropping from the trees at Loddon staithe, mind you the earwigs were not as bad as when the trees dropped all the sap filled seeds onto the boat.

Regards

Alan 

Here's what I've found.

boric acidEarwigs can be controlled with boric acid powder. To get rid of earwigs that have made it into your home despite proper sealing and landscaping techniques, spreading a residual insecticide like boric acid near baseboards, cracks, and hard to reach places is recommended. Boric acid is a natural insecticide and works only if the earwig is forced to travel through the powder.
  • Like 1