new boat linings

oceandawn

Kingfisher Boat Services can do this kind of work. 

However, costs vary greatly depending on what you want to line the cabin with. Carpet is generally the cheapest option. You can use vinyl or hard linings, sometimes finished with a hard-wearing formica laminate. 

It is a big job and the costs cannot be estimated without seeing what needs to be removed to get at the existing linings and to ensure that the new linings fit properly with edges hidden beneath ceiling panels, furniture and so on. 

We did an extensive refit of a Princess 33 earlier this year including brand new ceiling panels, lighting, the lot. The original boat had suspended ceiling vinyls that were aging. Rather than redoing in the same vein, the new linings are on boards so that you can drop them down to get to fixings above (say to reseal a handrail fixing that's leaking) - something that can't be done with suspended cloth. The new panels have no visible fixings at all, leaving exceptionally clean lines. 

I've attached a few pictures. 

20150721_214805.jpg

20150721_214818.jpg

20150721_214828.jpg

It's expensive. The ceiling panelling, can be challenging as every panel needs to be properly templated, cut, trimmed, trimmed with vinyl, pre-fitted, jiggled and so on. 

We did a lot more to the boat than just the linings, but the cost of relining (in carpet) all the cabin sides and every headling was about £3.5k. But that was a high-spec job. The costs can be greatly reduced in many areas but at the cost of the finish. For instance, covering joins in headlings with varnished strips avoids a lot of jiggling which is man-hours. 

There are LOTS of options for bulkhead coverings too. If we get the opportunity, we hope to repanel some fleet boats in a very contemporary fashion this winter. 

Away for a few days now, but drop me a line in November and we can talk. 

Edited by FreedomBoatingHols

To which angle are you bias?

Lets just say l can have a rather blinkered approach to old wooden boats...

Having said that, on an icy winters morning when your body heat has condensed all night and frozen to the ceiling, at the point it starts to defrost and drip on you those nice soft dry headlinings start to look really cozy!!

• Like 1

Lets just say l can have a rather blinkered approach to old wooden boats...

Having said that, on an icy winters morning when your body heat has condensed all night and frozen to the ceiling, at the point it starts to defrost and drip on you those nice soft dry headlinings start to look really cozy!!

That I remember, sleeping in a Lysander 17, my arm would come out of the sleeping bag reach across, to the cooker, turn the gas on, light up and retreat until.

A, The kettle was boiling,

B, The frost line had melted down the windows...

Hi Janet Anne

How do you get that fabulous finish on the woodwork? Beautiful!

Layers, you varinsh without trying to apply 1/8" thinkness at a time, flat it back when hard and repeat over and over until you have a beautiful smooth mirror finish as pictured. it cannot be rushed, if you do you will **** it up.

Hi Clive

We have spoken to Phil but we understood that Moonfleet didn't do linings and he had to subcontract. Maybe we misunderstood.However. we are seeing him next week to look at some other work. The work that he as done for us in the past has been 1st class. Thoroughly reliable and a pleasure to do business with.A really good guy to entrust your boat to.

Very good job on the Princess there Andy, I have been following progress on the Kingfisher Facebook page of this boat.  (note your link from the Kingfisher Website does not work to your Facebook page).

I really like the 33 and think generally they have aged well, but I can't help posting a photo of one for sale which is my favorite and must have cost a fortune to completely re-fit. 

6703_princess-yachts-plymouth-princess-3

• 2 weeks later...