Bridge building in China

Someone sent me this clip bridge building in China.

That is certainly a bit of kit.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/B6X82g2UZOs

Regards 

Alan

I really think that the design engineers for this machine had a Mecano set as a child. In this video, the bridge building machine gets the credit, more than the finished structure.

With the Milleau viaduct... wow what a structure, my wife loves bridges, and this is one that we have to cross, and of course, look up to it from the valley.

• Like 2

Yes, but you can't DRIVE over it, can you? ;)

Yup, you can drive a Train over it! :naughty: The new road bridge is fairly moving on at a pace and last I heard.  I must take a wee look see the next time we are over at Linlithgow, and check it out. The M way slip roads to it, are certainly well in progress.

cheersIain

Yes, but you can't DRIVE over it, can you? ;)

And you can't drive a train over it either...

The only bridge that satisfies both criterias in the UK must be the Menai Straits bridge 

Britannia Bridge (WelshPont Britannia) is a bridge across the Menai Straitbetween the island of Anglesey and the mainland of Wales. It was originally designed and built by Robert Stephenson as a tubular bridge of wrought iron rectangular box-section spans for carrying rail traffic. Following a fire in 1970 it was rebuilt as a two-tier steel truss arch bridge, carrying both road and rail traffic.

• Like 1

Yup, you can drive a Train over it! :naughty: The new road bridge is fairly moving on at a pace and last I heard.  I must take a wee look see the next time we are over at Linlithgow, and check it out. The M way slip roads to it, are certainly well in progress.

cheersIain

Hi Iain, 

As soon as there is any pictures or footage of the new road I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Regards

Alan

Hi Iain, 

As soon as there is any pictures or footage of the new road I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

No problem, I will put on here as and when. The two towers are well on I believe. Will delve through Google for you, there have been programmes about it up here.

cheersIain.

• Like 1

Sorry folks,

I admit, I am totally biased here. There is only ONE Bridge ! This one! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-33397980 

:bow

Iain, I have to agree with you here. The Forth Rail Bridge is in my mind, the most magnificent bridge ever built in the world. Considering it was built in Victorian times, where technology was not any where near as advanced as it is today. This bridge was built by men who relied on shear skill alone, connecting each steel piece with hot rivets, working with no  proper safety equipment, not even hard hats, in atrocious weather conditions. It cost the lives of many and is a tribute to British engineering.

I spent quite a few years at Rosyth during 1961/2, when I was in the Royal Navy and witnessed the construction of the first road bridge. During that time, we had to cross the Forth by Dockyard Tenders to South Queensferry, or use the civilian car ferry. I have travelled across the rail bridge on many occasions and also the road bridge since it was completed. I am so pleased that the rail bridge has now been given World Heritage status, which is a tribute to the men who built it and for families today, whose great grandfathers worked on this mighty structure.

Regarding the building of that Chinese bridge, that machine is one mighty vehicle and it makes you wonder how it stays in one piece as it overhangs the gap towards the next pillar.

The French bridge of course has to be the icing on the cake as far as technology is concerned in bridge building, but this is now the case with many other colossal structures being constructed around the world.

Many years from now we will be living above the clouds  :angel:  in vast complexes to accommodate the ever growing population of the world, if we don't destroy ourselves by starving the world of its natural resources, or pollute our atmosphere or even destroy the planet by nuclear means.

:bow

With a rather dismal outlook to finish on, it does make you wonder where our future generations are heading. Possibly we will be colonising Mars, or some of the Moons of Jupiter & Saturn in a few hundred years from now, because Earth will be too over populated. 

Edited by GeoffandWendy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2015 19:22:26, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Iain, 

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Sorry pics not that clear today, very dull and misty. Due to open next year. The THREE pillars are complete by the looks of things. P1000638.thumb.JPG.8f2f444dea853bb1563c4P1000639.thumb.JPG.c07b2f84df0424bf1b4b7P1000640.thumb.JPG.f250c8e8bd779d68f41bfP1000649.thumb.JPG.7e7db6a0806d92c7edfcdP1000650.thumb.JPG.de248901136e406026cd120151105_123502.thumb.jpg.8dce51061e8b45

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2015‎ ‎16‎:‎06‎:‎08, Viking23 said:

And you can't drive a train over it either...

The only bridge that satisfies both criterias in the UK must be the Menai Straits bridge 

Britannia Bridge (WelshPont Britannia) is a bridge across the Menai Straitbetween the island of Anglesey and the mainland of Wales. It was originally designed and built by Robert Stephenson as a tubular bridge of wrought iron rectangular box-section spans for carrying rail traffic. Following a fire in 1970 it was rebuilt as a two-tier steel truss arch bridge, carrying both road and rail traffic.

The high level bridge in Newcastle is a road and Rail Bridge images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOqTfyDrPBbexfrV9_ePK

And  a bridge many have crossed over on the A17 Sutton Bridge was a road rail bridgeimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEMrWWimgCnebJSGsMHRU

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 05/11/2015 at 6:17 PM, BroadScot said:

Hi Alan,

Sorry pics not that clear today, very dull and misty. Due to open next year. The THREE pillars are complete by the looks of things. P1000638.JPGP1000639.JPGP1000640.JPGP1000649.JPGP1000650.JPG20151105_123502.jpg

This is the latest on the Queensferry Bridge.....20160621_113347.jpg20160621_113429.jpg20160621_113304.jpg20160621_113323.jpg20160621_113311.jpg

• Like 1