Gear Knobs

webntweb

Top Gear was like Marmite, you either loved it, or you thought that the presenters had completely lost the plot over the years.

Imagine how boating enthusiasts would feel about a program that "reviewed" boats with the same childish wit and sadly simplistic sense of entertainment.

(My apologies to genuine "children"  though, most of them are far more intelligent than that trio)..... :)

Top Gear was like Marmite, you either loved it, or you thought that the presenters had completely lost the plot over the years.

Imagine how boating enthusiasts would feel about a program that "reviewed" boats with the same childish wit and sadly simplistic sense of entertainment.

(My apologies to genuine "children"  though, most of them are far more intelligent than that trio)..... :)

Personally i loved it. Although i will agree, sometimes it looked like they were running out of ideas, some of the things they did were pretty spectacular. like the bikes through Vietnam, the endurance race in an aging BMW diesel, and lots more.  I often did`nt bother with the road test around the track in yet another German super car, and often the star in a reasonably priced car was worth turning off. That said, on the whole, i found it very entertaining, and often watch the re runs of the good ones on Dave.

One of the main reasons i was so pleased to see it being so succesful was that it was the last all male bastion to cocking a snoot to political corectness.  That`s probably why the BBC hierachy tried so hard for so long to find a way of sacking Clarkson, because he flatly refused to tow the party line. Did i say party?, i wonder what i meant by that?.

• Like 2

Sorry Neil, but the huge expenditure of BBC license payers' money could have been better used to produce a far more intelligent show about cars, rather than three personal egos.

Too much political correctness may indeed stifle some things, but this opposite extreme was so often just banal rubbish, insulting the intelligence of  the large proportion of viewers that are genuinely interested in cars and motoring.

Sorry Neil, but the huge expenditure of BBC license payers' money could have been better used to produce a far more intelligent show about cars, rather than three personal egos.

Too much political correctness may indeed stifle some things, but this opposite extreme was so often just banal rubbish, insulting the intelligence of  the large proportion of viewers that are genuinely interested in cars and motoring.

Sorry Strowager,

Top Gear was the BBC's Golden Goose and was sold worldwide and still is, you struggle to not find a channel on free-view that is not screening it at sometime during the day.

My guess is that heads will have rolled at Aunties house, I doubt however we will hear the full story.

Regards

Alan

Those reasonably priced cars took some stick, too much stick, some needed new clutches in less than a few hundred miles, suspension struts breaking, wheels coming off, brake fade, if every one drove their brand new car like that from day one out of the show room, I wonder how many of those jobs would be covered by warranty?

Top gear must have obtained them with a special clause... ie no warranty and that they were crushed and no parts sold on after the series.

The show was no longer about three guys road testing new affordable cars, or even good second hand cars, they just looked at how far they could punish a car to breaking point, and even that Toyota pick up would have done no harm to Toyota's future sales, and the sales of the Skoda Yeti increased, although not many of us envisage landing a helicopter onto the roof, but great being prepared. lol.

I enjoyed the survival episodes, jungle, snow and ice, desserts, crossing rivers etc. 

The one I didn't like, were the one taking the micky out of the locals, like in the Mississippi states and their slogans on the cars etc. 

• Like 1

Sorry Strowager,

Top Gear was the BBC's Golden Goose and was sold worldwide and still is, you struggle to not find a channel on free-view that is not screening it at sometime during the day.

My guess is that heads will have rolled at Aunties house, I doubt however we will hear the full story.

Regards

Alan

I stand corrected then Alan, that's a comfort to know that if it was profitable it wasn't increasing the cost of my license fee.

............The one I didn't like, were the one taking the micky out of the locals, like in the Mississippi states and their slogans on the cars etc. 

Yes indeed Viking, many of the episodes were in very poor taste, far to much ethnic discrimination.

India, China, Southern USA, Vietnam (the "born in the USA" tune blaring out).....

They also kept giving a very distorted view of secondhand "classic" cars too, like their British Leyland episode.

It seemed like a concerted effort to rubbish anything that was over ten years old, purely to get laughs.

Well we will all have to wait to see how Evans presents it. Can't stand the guy really, but I shall watch the first few programmes, just to see what it's like and take it from there. I just hope it takes a different form from what it was, as it was getting a bit boring, especially the time trial at the end of each programme. 

I`ve been told that in reality he`s a very decent fella, however, i can`t get past when he was an obnoxious t..t on TFI Friday. I too will give the new series a try, but to be honest, i`m not holding my breath. Unfortunately, we don`t get Amazon Prime, so won`t be able to watch the three amigos new show, whatever it`s called. Never mind, i`l probably be able to watch it on Dave in a couple of years.

• Like 1