Horsey

macroft1

Hello all.

I might be making mountains out of mole hills here - so excuse my ignorance if that is the case.

The wife and I would like to visit Horsey at some point next season but I find the entrance from Hickling Broad a little confusing. There seems to be posts all over the place and no clear way through. I'm paranoid about going the wrong side and grounding.

Can anyone advise on this and also is there plenty of mooring up there?

Thanks and regards.

Mark.

I always find the approach from Martham way is a lot easier (purely because you can see the entrance towards Horsey Mere that much sooner). Just be a little careful whilst on the connecting river between hickling & Horsey - it gets tight in places with sharp turns and with my (albeit limited) experience people don't seem to slow down much...

Follow the other boats and prey that they can't all have got it wrong!

Re moorings, there are generally plenty but not always. First time that I went up there was in a sailing boat, I had the wind behind me and the dyke got narrower and narrower and narrower, with boats moored either side there was no room to turn a twenty one footer! Had to drop the sails with the wind behind me, not to be recommended! You might have to reverse out, you may be able to turn the boat round with the help of folk on both banks. Delightful place though, the toasted sandwiches from the National Trust shop are deservedly legendary,  as is the bloke who avidly collects the mooring fees, but the reasons for the legendary status are poles apart! Well worth the effort, lovely spot. I never fail to go there when in the area.

Hi Mark

I’ve done this many times but yes, care is needed as the entrance to Meadow Dyke leading to Horsey is quite narrow and hard to spot until you are quite close.

Keep an eye on the posts, remember when travelling away from Great Yarmouth the red posts are to port and when travelling towards GY the green posts are to port. Look out for the yellow post, this where you need to turn when approaching from Hickling. If approaching from Martham turn before the yellow post and look out for the entrance to the dyke. I’ve attached a photo – this was taken a couple of years ago but I don’t think it has changed much.

Horsey is a lovely mooring but as others have said it is very narrow. I have reversed out a couple of times which can be interesting!  There’s a very pleasant walk to the beach and also a superb pub in the Nelson Head. Well worth the effort of getting there. Meadow Dyke is narrow too, it can be interesting meeting a tacking yacht down there! (been there got the T shirt)

Others may know better but I believe that the BA cordon off the entrance to Horsey Mere in winter, something to do with protecting wildlife but I’m not sure of the details.

Meadow Dyke.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and it seems a must now.

Howard - does that mean that if I'm approaching from the north (left to right on that photo) I turn left after the yellow bollard?

Damage from other boats in tight spaces also worries me after some of the sights I've seen recently.

Thanks for the info and it seems a must now.

Howard - does that mean that if I'm approaching from the north (left to right on that photo) I turn left after the yellow bollard?

Damage from other boats in tight spaces also worries me after some of the sights I've seen recently.

Hi Mark, yes that's right, as long as you turn after the yellow post from the North you'll be fine.

Because of the natural restriction of Potter Heigham Bridge fewer boats can get up there and to be honest it's a far cry from the hot spots where damage is more of a risk. You'll be fine particularly if you avoid peak season. Main thing to watch for is this lot :Sailing

:-)  :-) 

• Like 1

I think the "bollard" has now been replaced by a proper yellow and black post, but am not certain. The important thing when approaching from the Hickling direction is to turn after the yellow marker (pass with it on your port side), and then keep the red posts to port and the green to starboard. The posts are only there for a short distance, until you get into the dyke proper.

I wouldn't worry about taking a small boat like yours into Horsey dyke, I'm sure you'll be fine there. Yes, it is narrow but (most!) people take it slowly.

Horsey Mere is quite shallow at the fringes, caused mostly by weed build up. If you see weeds above the surface, or water lilies, then in my experience, the water is generally around 2 feet deep, depending on tidal rise and fall.

Having an outboard that tilts helps.

We are shallow drafted, and we wouldn't cut the corner behind the yellow post, as you transit from Hickling to Horsey, as there could be less than 18" in places. 

There was a day launch caught in the mud a little further up, a couple of months ago, we tilted the engine, but couldn't get even close.We suggested he contacted his local boatyard, he had a phone signal, and when we went past later to check on him, just in case, he had gone. So moral of the story... don't go beyond any lines of posts unless you have local knowledge.

Even then, one year later, we have returned to some areas, and they have silted up in that time.

Boater beware...

1 minute ago, Polly said:

Look out for adders on that walk, including in the sand dunes. The seals are awesome.

Use to see a lot of adders on the Isle of Arran golf courses. Going into the thick grass, was a somewhat dangerous thing to do!

cheersIain.

Fully endorse all the comments above, but suggest you consider entering the mooring dyke at Horsey (approaching the NT Mill) backwards - means the subsequent departure will be forwards and by turning in the open Mere you can get some steerage way on in reverse before it gets too narrow to about-turn.

I generally find it harder move backwards from moored because I need a little more speed before the rudder answers, and when entering you can't see how crowded the moorings are until you're committed. if you're set up to exit forwards it doesn't get difficult later.

That said, we're 34ft long over the bowsprit so can't turn even if it's empty, so colours my view....

Enjoy

Horsey Mere is part of the 'winter refuge' for birds.  There is a voluntary agreement between the BA, NWT, the NT, the local fishing and boating clubs etc that boats will not enter the Mere between the end of October and (I think) the end of February.  This is not strictly enforcible, because a right of navigation exists, but most people try to respect the agreement.

As others have said, if you're coming from Martham direction, when you see the yellow post, keep that to your left (and the green posts to your right) and you'll soon see the sign that marks the entrance to Meadow Dyke.  If you're coming from Hickling, turn left just after the yellow post, and again proceed to the entrance to the Dyke.

Sailing into the  staithe dyke at the far end of Horsey is not recommended (certainly not with mainsail up) - most people drop sail just outside and quant, paddle or motor in (depending what they've got), or possibly creep in on the jib alone.  Space is rarely an issue, but as has been said, the further down the dyke you go the more difficult it will be to turn round.

I like the idea of reversing in but to be honest my boat steers very well in reverse so I don't think there'd be any issues backing out of the staithe.

I launch at Whispering Reeds and have to back out of the slip in sometimes tight spaces and never had a problem.

Mark.

Macroft, I was passing the entrance to Meadow Dyke today and was able to refresh my memory  If you're coming from Hickling (you said you normally launch at Whispering Reeds), at the end of Hickling Broad you enter the narrower channel past Deep Dyke, White Slea and Deep Go Dyke moorings.  The channel then begins to widen, and on your left, because you're going downstream, you'll see three green channel marker posts (and one green buoy where there should be a 4th post), continue past these and then you'll see a post with a black base and a yellow top.  Turn to port just past this black and yellow post (turning through about 280 degrees or so, thus coming slightly back on yourself).  You'll now see on your left (and keep them on your left), because you're heading upstream, two red channel marker posts, and just beyond them a big green sign on the bank explaining that you're heading to Horsey Mere (an important nature reserve).  You'll then see two 4mph speed limit signs, one either side of the channel you need to take (Meadow Dyke) to lead you through to Horsey Mere.

• Like 1