Suitcase safety

JawsOrca

A couple of erm interesting videos have shown on my facebook.. Pretty alarming.  If you fly I think you need to be aware.

So, here's how to open a zipped suitcase with a pen!

And here's one how to access the combination lock!! Which most non zipped cases have.. Joys of the bloody internet ey.

Obviously this information is in the public domain so I'm just sharing what's public already. Hopefully the more awareness of this, then manufacturers can get their act together and the improve design.

Don't forget if you are flying you are responsible for what's in your bag. (At least we don't need to worry about losing those padlock keys anymore...!) 

Yes indeed, I'm afraid the low lifes of this world now have unlimited technical help and youtube training videos.

Even padlocks themselves are no longer safe, most being able to be opened quickly with a carefully cut piece of drinks can.

After seeing this, I quickly changed all of my padlocks for the more secure circular hasp ones...  :rolleyes:

I now use this sort....

circular hasp padlocks.jpg

Which is why I've always had a security strap around my suitcase wherever I went. The most likely place to have your bag opened is between the aeroplane and the carousel and a security strap just makes that a bit more difficult The result is that the ****** will usually/hopefully turn to easier pickings.

In hundreds of occasions dead-heading I've never had a problem.....   :clap

Just an FYI - if you make it too secure and security wish to check it they will just rip it open and tough luck. I am pretty sure in the US they still recommend not locking cases for this reason. I am sure someone will dispute this, but have knowledge of this from those that do.

The likelyhood of having my dirty pants and socks nicked is pretty slim and so is that of someone putting something dodgy in the case. Rule of thumb if it is worth anything then keep it on you (unless it's an antique sabre of course!!).

• Like 1

Good point Mark. I must admit I have put valuables in my case before so certainly not now.

I guess the chances of security needing to open it though is pretty low to, so I would rather have it secure and or clearly know when it's been tampered with.  

Alan, I always lock mine as well (they have the built in combination locks) and I always use the Samsonite style cases with no zips to thwart the biro thieves.

I agree with you and the security guys can get past most locks (if they watch YouTube) - but if it is too secure be warned. Mind you we probably all look dodgy anyway so bound to be searched!!! :dance

• Like 1

What strap do you  use John? are you sure they can't be undone?

I bet nothing is bloody safe these days... Must admit I'm clearly very naive as it didn't know any of this :(  

Of course they can be undone, Alan, but they only have a very short time in which top do it and hopefully will turn their attention to easier pickings.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Security-Luggage-Strap-colours-vary/dp/B014G7GTPW

• Like 1

My father would make perhaps 20 international trips a year on business, many to America but increasingly to the places such as Dubai, China and Russia not to mention the short hopes to Germany, France and so on...

He used to have padlocks, locking suitcase straps even one that would set off an alarm if the lock was broken.  He stopped using these when our good American friends would have broken them all off to see inside the case then wrap the entire thing in ‘industrial cling film’ with notices it had been opened by the TSA.

The main culprit not only do cases all locked up ‘stand out more’ but he has a very old but very good Braun shaver – without question the internal wiring, shape and travel case which it fits into along with an extending curly lead makes this stand out like a sore thumb on x-ray machines and they must have a look.  

Now in all this time he had never suffered any loss from his actual suitcase even now with just a strap with no lock to help prevent the ‘bursting open’ of the case.

However, he has had briefcases stolen – one as he stood to check in at a hotel in New Orleans  (was between his legs as he stood and never felt a thing) had a wallet and currency converter stolen in a distraction robbery in Italy and his hotel room burgled and room safe physically ripped out in Turkey! 

I think therefore, worries about your luggage being broken into at an airport by luggage workers may happen, but not enough to warrant too much worry.  Always try to get to the luggage carousel quickly so your case is not going around and around waiting for someone to grab it and walk – if going short haul for a weekend, try packing what you need in your carry on luggage (and may save some money for having checked luggage with the likes of Ryan Air) and keep valuables with you.

I’ve had luggage tampered with on trains so I always make sure when booking my tickets to select ‘near luggage rack’ for seat reservations so I can keep an eye on it – also back packs on the London Underground finding they have been discreetly unzipped without you knowing as your rode up the escalator soon stopped me putting anything valuable inside them.

• Like 1

..........also back packs on the London Underground finding they have been discreetly unzipped without you knowing as your rode up the escalator soon stopped me putting anything valuable inside them. ....

When I worked in London I would never carry any bags on my back on public transport or in crowds.

Never mind about "discreet unzipping", it was all too common for thieves to cut a quick slice across with a stanley  knife.

The only place I would ever wear a backpack is walking or cycling in the countryside.....

"if going short haul for a weekend, try packing what you need in your carry on luggage (and may save some money for having checked luggage with the likes of Ryan Air) and keep valuables with you."

Come on Robin - how would grace get all her shoes for a weekend in hand luggage:bow:bow

• Like 1

my company had a spate of laptops in laptop cases stolen, and decided to go for backpacks instead, just before the bomb in the backpack incident in London, cue several incidents with employees being stopped by the police for carrying backpacks.

Grendel

A friend had his taken and he saw the man take it from the carousel, he tried to stop him by shouting (he was a distance away)but the local Saudi police promptly stopped my friend for making a disturbance!! 

I used Hard case suitcases, with my initials in 18inch high letters painted on both sides. it certainly stops casual thieves who would look a bit odd walking down the road with that, in places like Saudi. It also stops someone taking the bag, for it being the same type as their own.