The old "New Content" button

2 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

My opinion is that this forum update is a step backwards. The loss of the New Content button as was and creation of the "streams" make for keeping up to date with changes tedious. I find the stream display overly complicated; is there really a need to read the content on this page which makes the page and therefore your ability to scan the content far more of a chore. 

Sorry if I am the only one who thinks this, but it seems like change for the sake of change. To me, this no improvement; the New Content button did not need "fixing".

I appreciate that this may be part of a wider software update and difficult or impossible to change. 

Hi Andy, Can't say I disagree as it's certainly a bit annoying for us all. As DF mentioned you may want to create your own new content button and set us as the default that will workaround the hiccup here. Scroll back to the first page on this thread for screenshots if you need help. Or drop me a message for help.

cheers 

I get all that and have it working; it's just presenting too much information to be useful. I don't need to see all the posts since I last logged on (even the condensed view is terrible), I just want to see what topics have received new posts as before.

Can you forward this feedback to the developers or is there any customisable features of the software that can be used? 

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but when looking at the everything view there is a little Blue circle next to the thread title that takes you to the first unread post on that thread. Sometimes this is a Blue star and does the same job. What is the subtle difference between a star and circle?

Edited to add that both disappear once you have read the thread, and as a suggestion it would be nice to have the equivalent of the Blue circle to take you back to the end of the thread if you have read it. I sometimes go back to reread something and once the forum thinks you are up to date you have to click on the thread title and then go to the last post. No criticism, but if you are feeding things back, then probably a nice to have function?

cheers Alan, I knew there must be a reason for the different icon, but it had never clicked. I do wonder if there is a use for a short tutorial on navigating the forum, which could perhaps be updated before, or soon after any forum updates? The ability to click on the time and go straight to the last post is also one that had escaped me until now, but will be put to use. cheers

• Like 1

Glad to help Keith.

I like the tutorial idea, I'll try to do although my spare time at the moment is close to non existant at present, and I'd be worried that it will be a bit of a waste as the person may have well learnt most of what would be mentioned to get there. But I'll have a think. 

cheers 

Well after having a hissy fit over the horrible changes to the forum, and having been away working for a while decided to log in tonight and see where things are. 

Well a vast improvement, still dont think its quite right but at least can work round it now, so see how it goes, better start looking for a few crap jokes to post i guess.

Carole goes in for the heart reboot next week so hopefully after that we can start to resume a semi normal life style and have our December sunshine holiday

poor old Tangara has been sorely neglected this her first year with us but I have spent quite a bit of money and time on the various upgrades so hopefully will be good for next year

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 6

Hi Clive... as you a site sponsor (and you know where my boat is kept) I won't comment over the fact you admit to using a mac and daren't go any further. ;) 

I would have thought it would work but I don't use apples.. When you click this...:

http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/discover/8/

...you should see a list of "everything".. You may want to bookmark that and just use that (Can you do that in an apple?!).

cheers 

• oldgregg unfeatured and unpinned this topic