AA Gill on Norfolk

Poppy

I have always considered AA Gill as a noxious and objectionable ****! The author of this piece seems to share my view - but is perhaps not quite so outspoken!

He's obviously not one of the North Norfolk 'Chelsea set'.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/mar/02/aa-gill-spittle-flecked-indignation-norfolk?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Twenty years? More like three generations! One well known boatyard owner even insists that it's the ability to trace one's family tree in Broadland back to at least 1066! Although my family have boated & fished for the regulation three generations I have managed to trace my family locally to 1400 on my mum's side, dad was an interloper from mid Suffolk, back to 1700, as an inn keeper. Regretfully no keel or wherrymen in my family!

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If us locals were some special species then we would have been protected from incoming ones. Bit like red versus grey squirrels. Sadly you are now more likely to hear an Essex whine than you are a Norfolk mumble on many of our streets!

Awaits replies from the ESSEX whiners! :naughty:......Charlie!!!!

cheersIain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poppy said:

You may have forgotten that JM hails from Lowestoft ( OK, Oulton Broad, same as ;) ), and therefore hears little else...

:naughty:

Oh no, I knew that Poppy, JM has a "rich" Suffolk accent if I remember rightly from his days at the old shop at WRC.:naughty:

cheersIain.

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

An Essex girl's favourite wine: ....

"... I want to go to Lakeside!"

whine/wine; and for those of you who don't know, Lakeside is a large shopping complex.

That will explain why Charlie calls Inge the wench. What he really means is WRENCH to free her from the Lakeside!:naughty:

cheersIain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Did we meet back then, Iain? A sadly forgotten occurrence if we did.

Hi JM,

I think you were on the phone, probably giving a rep what for! :naughty: Twas a long time ago, but I remember your daughter, well think it was your daughter serving at the checkout at the exit door? It was a very hot day, and the chill cabinet was well down with liquid refreshments!

I took the last pack of Stella Artois.cheersbar

cheersIain.

Not my daughter, Iain, she's now over forty, back then she was only a year or two old! 

The forecourt, where the petrol pumps are, back then, had a raised timber lip all the way round it. My Sarah had a 'baby walker' and used to spend glorious hours out in the sun careering, quite safely, around that area. We used to have numerous comments about a toddler being at risk but in reality she was quite safe! 

26 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Not my daughter, Iain, she's now over forty, back then she was only a year or two old! 

The forecourt, where the petrol pumps are, back then, had a raised timber lip all the way round it. My Sarah had a 'baby walker' and used to spend glorious hours out in the sun careering, quite safely, around that area. We used to have numerous comments about a toddler being at risk but in reality she was quite safe! 

In the days of the dove cote then JM ?

44 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Did someone mention wine? now that sounds good in any accent lol cheers

Grace

What was that rugby song again ..Grace???

Now some like the whisky it makes them feel frisky, but I prefer the vino....oh the vino...the vino is oh supremo! cheers

• Like 1