Norfolk Yacht Station

wooster

Hi all. We're off to the Broads for a bit this week. Sadly we won't have much time ( work gets in the way of so many things! ) but we hoped to spend one night in Norwich and I wondered if the yacht station there is now considered safe. It's a place I've never been but reading a few posts here and there it seems it has had a reputation for not being secure. I believe this has changed in recent times though but just would like some confirmation before we risk leaving the boat unattended while we paint the town red.

Thanks

We've also moored there many times. As Ian says Friday and Saturday are busy on nearby Prince of Wales Road. There are now security gates and CCTV. The guy at the Yacht Station told me incidents are very rare. Just remember to drop your mudweight. Also if you moor towards the Bishops Bridge end of the moorings it will be quieter. But then again if you are out anyway it shouldn't matter! cheersbar

Enjoy!

Thank you both for your very speedy and helpful replies :)

We will probably stay Thursday night there so hopefully avoiding the crowds. I plan to meet some friends in Norwich that night and doubt it will be a late night bash so we should be back well before midnight 

Wow. Good call Bobdog. That'll change things then. Time for plan B which I haven't formulated yet ;)

I know there's a cut below Norwich where you can get a bus into town easily but I also recall there being problems with people cutting ropes etc there. ( What's up with folk :???:????) 

There`s always Thorpe, either the river green, but you have to go through the bridges for that, so only if it`s low tide, or low enough at the time you want?. Alternatively, there`s the free moorings in the dyke on the bend in the river just upstream from the A47 flyover, either way, you could get a bus from their, or there`s a possible plan c, and that is to ask Andy from Freedom if he will permit you to moor at his yard if there`s space, and for a small donation to the yards Christmas box for tea and sausage rolls?.  Either way, it will also save you the extra journey by river, which can sometimes be full of rubbish around this time of year.

To quote from the BA website

The Broads Authority runs yacht stations at Norwich and Great Yarmouth.

These are staffed daily from 8.00am to 8.00pm from the Saturday before Easter until the first week of November.

That's shame. I suppose there is nothing to stop you mooring there but it would be at your own risk. I've certainly seen live a boards moored there in winter. With Christmas lights even.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm more inclined to look at some of the other options. Glad I found out though before going there. I might well just moor at the boatyard in Brundall and drive to Norwich.

Thanks for all the good information and tips folks 

• Like 1

The mooring someone else referred to is Commissioners Cut - just before the Thorpe railway bridge ( East end) and the sailing club. It is a 24 hr mooring and you will probably get in but sometimes it has boats "overstaying" for some reason!!!

Walk towards and over the railway line and you come to the main road with plenty of buses in and out.

Simples!!!

46 minutes ago, wooster said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm more inclined to look at some of the other options. Glad I found out though before going there. I might well just moor at the boatyard in Brundall and drive to Norwich.

Thanks for all the good information and tips folks 

That`s what we plan to do next Friday.

Last train from Norwich to Brundall on a Thursday is 23.00 hours. Time for a last one in  the Compleat Angler :-) 

We don't drive so use the trains quite a bit, its a good service around the Broads. If you can moor at one of the Brundall boatyards the station is just at the top of the riverside road next to the Yare pub.

Commissioners Cut is a handy mooring I agree but in the dark in winter I don't think I'd be so keen. It's a bit of a walk to the road along a rough track and it's not lit.

In fact a taxi from Norwich to Brundall probably wouldn't break the bank. We've found Courtesy Cars good and reliable.

Have a good one, and please let us know how you get on! cheersbar

Hello - there is also a good bus service which goes into Norwich from Brundall from the top of Station Road - it also goes right into the city centre. The train is very good and takes around 10 minutes but it's a walk up the hill to the city centre. Enjoy - the Christmas lights are starting to go up now! 

Because the yacht station and its facilities are closed, does this mean there is no mooring at Norwich until the yacht station re opens ? I would think that's not the case ? Just means no Ranger to relieve you of a mooring fee....... Happy days . 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2015, 7:01:27, NorfolkNog said:

To quote from the BA website

The Broads Authority runs yacht stations at Norwich and Great Yarmouth.

These are staffed daily from 8.00am to 8.00pm from the Saturday before Easter until the first week of November.

That's shame. I suppose there is nothing to stop you mooring there but it would be at your own risk. I've certainly seen live a boards moored there in winter. With Christmas lights even.

Hello William,

Enjoy your trip, you will need to plan your trip in order to get under the railway bridge at low water.

We found the Norwich Yacht Station too noisy for us when we visited a couple of years ago, the pictures of the tree lined moorings look ideal but during the day the traffic noise is always there and talking to people who have moored there overnight decided it was not for us.

Commissioners Cut is ideal to moor and a short walk over the railway bridge and up the lane and there is a bus stop on the left. I have heard a few stories but I have not met anyone that has had trouble here, sadly there are no electric posts here. We have moored here during the day and have visited Norwich via a bus, we have then moored at Bramerton Green or outside of the Waters Edge.

I thought all mooring at any of the Yacht Stations was at your own risk? whether manned or not!

I agree with others that if you have doubts about any mooring then drop the mud weight or moor elsewhere.

Regards 

Alan

Hi there,

If you moor at the NYS just make sure you put the ropes through the rings and back on to the boat. Yes, drop the mudweight and take its rope also through the ring if possible.

I have never had a problem with the noise, well lets face it, they are all going to work etc, while you are on holiday on the boat!:party:

If you can walk from the Bishopsgate Bridge end, walk along the path to the Cathedral you will have avoided the climb up Prince Of Wales Road into the city.

Stop at the Edith Cavel, for a swift one, before a gentle walk down the hill into the main city shops and market. Most of all have a safe and enjoyable time in Norwich.:)

If laden on the way back, if memory serves me right, there is a Taxi Rank next to the Market on the right hand side near Tescos. If I am wrong, I am sure one of the many Norwich members will correct me.

cheersIain

• Like 2

I'll stand to be corrected but I'm pretty sure all buses through Thorpe into Norwich finish in the early evening. I'm not aware there is a night service. 

Commissioners Cut is fine in daylight and provides good access to the main road through Thorpe  but as I said I wouldn't fancy it in the dark particularly after a beer or two. 

I've moored at most of the manned, or should it be personed Yacht stations in winter. There's nothing to stop you doing so but clearly the BA try to discourage you, an example being the closed signs they put up at GY in the winter which I ignore. I guess at Norwich it will still be at your own risk as in summer the difference being they may not monitor the CCTV or maintain the gates. Just an observation.  

Thanks folks. The tides, and the uncertainty of security at the NYS and all the rest puts me off it a fair bit. We'll probably get the train or drive from Brundall. ]

We're also now wondering if, given the current weather, which is unlikely to change for the foreseeable, we might spend the day in Norwich. If we do then we will probably get up their early this morning and return around 10pm either by car or train form Brundall.

Thank you all again :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Poggymale said:

Hello - there is also a good bus service which goes into Norwich from Brundall from the top of Station Road - it also goes right into the city centre. The train is very good and takes around 10 minutes but it's a walk up the hill to the city centre. Enjoy - the Christmas lights are starting to go up now! 

Bus, in the evening? HAHA! This is Norfolk.

• Like 1