Is that the end of Swancraft?

Annoyingly the nice 'sporty' one Swan Rhapsody, does not seem to have made it over to Richardson's - I always liked this and remember when was new thinking it was the bees knees. 

Good news is the eye watering non-refundable damage waivers of £75.00 have gone to the more sensible prices Richardson's charge, along with reductions (so far as I can see) in the actual hire charges - I rather like Swan Rapide, very spacious boat - http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/swan-rapide/

Hi All

There was an earlier thread on this http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/topic/7478-swancraft/#comment-106801 but yes, Swancraft have sold their hire fleet to Richardsons as of now. The yard will still be operating but concentrating on new builds, engineering, repairs and refurbs.

I'm a little bit biased but they did have one of the most modern and best maintained fleets on the Broads. The damage waiver did go up a little in recent years I admit but I didn't worry about a few quid when hiring boats of that quality. In addition the boats were so well maintained they seemed to run on fresh air so the fuel bill was always so small its a bit of swings and roundabouts. Also in fairness most of the fleet was under 10 years old.

We hired from Swancraft for many years. they were always friendly, accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. I couldn't begin to list everything they did for us, it really felt like being part of the family. I shall miss them greatly. Good as the bigger yards are I just don't think you get the same personal level of service. I suppose economies of scale will take over in the end. Very sad.

And they used to let me have a boat in December :cry

• Like 7

I take it you loved Swan Craft then, Howard, can't say I've heard you mention it before :naughty: Seriously though, all though never hired one they do look cracking Boats, it's an awful shame to lose another hire base, especially on the South side. We hired a proper old Boat (Sand Martin) when we were first married from Sanderson Marine, fantastic people and great service, let's hope they continue, would hate to see another small hire yard go :clap

Grace 

• Like 3

Although we have booked our favourite Swancraft boat for next year through Richardson's, we do love the southern side of the Broads and haven't found a suitable replacement boat from any of the hiring yards left. So not sure what we will do after next summer as we don't feel inclined to want to waste time crossing Breydon when we only come for four to seven days.

• Like 2

We had an Alpha 42 the exact same design and layout as Swan Rapid on the Thames.  Quality wise I'm sure it's fantastic but in my opinion the design is very poor.

The view from the lower helm is diabolical, one of the worst I've seen and I've seen quite a few.  You cannot even put your head out of a side window for reversing as they tilt, not slide so are forced to use the outside helm most of the time. 

This was also poor as it gave me backache due to the position of the seat moulding and steering wheel, we had a few comments about it from hirers.

If I remember correctly the folding windscreen hit the throttle when it was lowered, they also had sliding side screens which kept breaking.  They didn't have any practical value so we removed the lot.

If you stood up from the semi circular seating in the saloon you would bash your head on the ceiling.  The saloon was huge but at the expense of sleeping cabin space.

• Like 2

Hi Jean,

I used to hire from Swancraft or Brooms on 7 day breaks and always went north for a couple of days if the tide times were right. Now that we hire on the north side, we always try to go south for a couple of days if the tides are right. We like cruising and I just get totally relaxed at the helm (pass me another beer please). Each to their own I suppose, but for me, if I pay good money for a nice boat, I'll do my best to empty the fuel tank lol.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, NeilB said:

We had an Alpha 42 the exact same design and layout as Swan Rapid on the Thames.  Quality wise I'm sure it's fantastic but in my opinion the design is very poor.

The view from the lower helm is diabolical, one of the worst I've seen and I've seen quite a few.  You cannot even put your head out of a side window for reversing as they tilt, not slide so are forced to use the outside helm most of the time. 

This was also poor as it gave me backache due to the position of the seat moulding and steering wheel, we had a few comments about it from hirers.

If I remember correctly the folding windscreen hit the throttle when it was lowered, they also had sliding side screens which kept breaking.  They didn't have any practical value so we removed the lot.

If you stood up from the semi circular seating in the saloon you would bash your head on the ceiling.  The saloon was huge but at the expense of sleeping cabin space.

I think that particular model is generally regarded as one of Alphacraft's less illustrious designs. Rapide was a boat I didn't hire from Swancraft so I comment specifically but I'm sure they made the best of the design. It used to hire reasonably well as I recall :-) 

Interesting points - what I like about the design is the interior space and no folding table - sure the cabins are small but then most boat cabins are and as long as you can get in bed and lay down is what I care about :)

It is a 'maybe' hire for me because it was not until I hired White Champagne earlier this year did I realize how my loyalty points had accrued with Richardson's so am considering the options.

I had a look over Grecian Girl, which is the same design as Swan Rapide, when we had finished our week on Grande Girl with a view to booking her for next year.  The cabins and heads were acceptable, but the visibility from the helm in the stateroom was awful.  The headroom was poor, decreasing substantially as you moved towards forward end of the living area and access to the upper helm was not easy.

Although not as stylish as some of the newer designs on the Broads, the Aquafibre Pearl (Grande Girl, Royall Commander etc.) still looks good and is very practical for a family size cruiser, with good access and excellent visibility from the raised steering position.

Sorry Howard, it won't be possible, our Pesky Mods are a lot of things but extremely clever is pushing it a bit :naughty: just kidding, they are lovely, where's the kiss bottom smilie when you need one lol

Have you managed to book anything for this winter Howard? (sorry for off topic)

Grace

• Like 3

I agree about Swan Rhapsody Robin, a great looking boat and I can't think why Richardsons wouldn't want it so I can only assume Swan Craft received a better offer.

On the Swan Rapide subject, I hired Grecian Girl in 2011 and it wasn't great in my view. The rear cabin arrangement just wasn't right and I completely agree with the comments about the interior helm. I drove inside for 10 minutes on a wet day and I could see so little I felt completely unsafe and came back outside in the rain. The outdoor steering is Ok but the wheel is very low in relation to the seat and if the crew were indoors I felt very separated from them (unlike the Broom 32 dual steers). Its a very low boat for a dual steer and we went under Beccles Bridge comfortably. I like the look of the interior on Swan Rapide, better than Grecian Girl in my view.