paypal scam

unclemike

beware, email purporting to be from ebay, saying "we have noticed unusual activity on your account!,your account has been limited,please contact us to resolve this"

the civeaway was the spelling of unusual ,UNSUAL. otherwise looked exactly like a paypal email

Just look at who sent it in email details will give it away...... I get about 4 or 5 such emails weekly as they seem to know that a lot of my business gets paid via paypal.

Report it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and spoof@paypal.com and they will thank you and get it shut down

Charlie

PS if in doubt they always start emails with your name not a hello customer etc

• Like 2

We have an elderly friend who fell for this PayPal scam and had money taken from her account (which she later got refunded)

as Charlie says official PayPal emails always start with your name.

We had a call on Thursday from an Indian "lady" supposedly from Talktalk saying that it appears that someone had hijacked our internet connection. She didn't ask for the account holder by name or account details. I didn't give her the chance to continue but could tell I was going to be asked to download something and When I suggested that she was lying the call was terminated.

this call showed up as private caller on the display. 

I rang Talktalk but as you would imagine they are being inundated with calls (or not answering if I'm being cynical )

just be extra vigilant.

• Like 2

PayPal is still the most safe on line payment processor, whether you be buying or selling. 

I have had scam emails from nat west i dont bank with them ......

So just use a little of what you was born with, and youll be ok.

Charlie

PS ive been with PayPal since 1997 it only was in $ then and have never had a single problem. Mind I do use what i was born with in the grey matter

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Charlie said:

PayPal is still the most safe on line payment processor, whether you be buying or selling.

I have had scam emails from nat west i dont bank with them ......

So just use a little of what you was born with, and youll be ok.

Charlie

PS ive been with PayPal since 1997 it only was in $ then and have never had a single problem. Mind I do use what i was born with in the grey matter

I've also been using Paypal and Ebay for almost ten years, and have had no problems. I've both sent and received thousands of pounds through them, and I've also successfully  used their money back guarantee with the very occasional bad seller.

I also use online banking to transfer my funds between accounts and make payments, and have had no problems.

I would however say that I'm bombarded with every scam and spoof email under the sun, purporting to come from all the banks, ebay, amazon, and even the inland revenue.

Anyone who is not very computer literate would be well advised to not take the chance with any form of online banking.

I use paypal BUT never use any link supplied by email from whomsoever but log into the account from my log in.

Caller ID is also worth having, no number showing we no answer.

As an aside I accidentally deleted our recorded answerphone message and the pre-supplied took over, as soon as the robot answers the call it rings of, with our recorded voice we got a message.

If I slip up and answer a spoof call my stock answer is, solly no speekie eenglish.

paul

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Strowager said:

Anyone who is not very computer literate would be well advised to not take the chance with any form of online banking.

Rather alarmist perhaps? Those who choose to follow this advice might find their options somewhat limited.

2 minutes ago, Samuel said:

Rather alarmist perhaps? Those who choose to follow this advice might find their options somewhat limited.

what options?

, i have a local bank, ATMs,phone banking,.i  have no need for internet banking at the minute,

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Samuel said:

I apologise for sounding rather blunt, but I know personally two pensioners that have tried online banking and have been conned by spoof emails, despite being warned of the possibility.

They're very "streetwise" in normal face to face situations, but the virtual world of the Internet can be much more misleading with spoof emails looking so genuine.

Anyone using PAYPAL does so at their own risk, you have been warned!

We have been using paypal for in excess of 10 years now and have completed several hundred transactions. On just two

occasions in all those years we have encountered a problem and those problems has been rectified by Paypal immediately.

I don't think that we need to be warned at all. Its possibly one of the most secure  and efficient sites around.   Dave R......

9 hours ago, DaveRolaves said:

Anyone using PAYPAL does so at their own risk, you have been warned!

We have been using paypal for in excess of 10 years now and have completed several hundred transactions. On just two

occasions in all those years we have encountered a problem and those problems has been rectified by Paypal immediately.

I don't think that we need to be warned at all. Its possibly one of the most secure  and efficient sites around.   Dave R......

Another advantage of Paypal is minimisation of risk. 

Most online sellers accept Paypal, so I always choose them whenever possible, because it saves giving my credit card details to other payment intermediaries, like Sagepay, Nochex, Worldpay etc.etc..

The fewer online sites that have my account details, the better ! :)

"Jumping down Heron's Throat" ?

I wasn't trying to do that at all MM.

Like others, I was just telling fellow "Forumites" of my opposite experience with Paypal.

I quite readily accept that many people will have had bad experiences with Paypal, as with every other online payment method.

It can be a minefield for anyone other than Computer Geeks, avoiding the scams and spoofs.

27 minutes ago, Strowager said:

Another advantage of Paypal is minimisation of risk. 

Most online sellers accept Paypal, so I always choose them whenever possible, because it saves giving my credit card details to other payment intermediaries, like Sagepay, Nochex, Worldpay etc.etc..

The fewer online sites that have my account details, the better ! :)

Hi Strowager,

Like yourself we have used Paypal and Ebay for years, likewise the least number of people that know any of your banking/credit card details the better.

Paypal can sort out most issues when a problem arises but at times the account can be frozen whilst this happens.

We have only been caught out once with a Paypal purchase from the USA, the company stopped trading using Paypal, because of this Paypal could not claim off of this company so we were not refunded for our payment.

There are loads of scams out there at the moment and the nearer it get to Christmas the worse it will get.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

My PayPal account is backed up by a seperate bank account, we transfer by phone, money to it as required, so we hope the account acts as a back stop to any additional money taken from it. The Bank weren't happy to have it for this reason as such, but I said I'm sure we can find one that is lol. I also use the bank account to pay up front for any car parking charges,  or those that want to charge for using credit cards lol.

I'm sorry but i just cant see why all this distrust from PayPal.

Why would you not take advantage of using its money back guarantee if your buyer. Also they work out cheaper than my bank quoted me for  (via thier payment arm) card payments up to £1500 3.4% + 20p per transaction over that it goes down.

Im puzzled i really am

Charlie

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I'm sorry but i just cant see why all this distrust from PayPal...

Charlie

I don't think it's a distrust in PayPal, more a distrust of parties claiming to be from PayPal that is the issue. Some of the scams look quite realistic, but If you take miss spellings as a guide to a scammer then I wouldn't have responded to Charlie's post lol, a few typos there, capitalisation and punctuation errors too. lol.

We all do them at some time, usually when we are in a hurry lol.

I think most of the late edits take care of most, at least mine do lol.

Edited:- to correct a few typos, and mispellings lol.

I received the same scam but quickly realized in was a scam because...

The big clue to it being a scam is it claimed to be from Ebay claiming a problem with the money, Ebay sold PAYPAL some time ago, so Ebay would not  have anything to do with rectifying Paypal  Account  problems.

The simplest advice to avoid being scammed is to never respond to emails arriving out of the blue, unless they are answers to questions you had previously emailed.

Never click on the attachment in an unsolicited email, it could whisk you away to a spoof copy of the real website, which then asks you to log in, and captures your ID and password.

Instead, in the very rare instance of a genuine out of the blue email from a bank or other financial institution, visit their website via your already saved genuine hyperlinks/bookmarks, and log in that way, to see if they have a message for you.