Sponsorship?

JennyMorgan

I haven't seen the Airwick "eau de Cantley" on sale yet and don't expect it to be a winner!!

I actually think the sponsorship thing is a good idea as long as it helps out and adds to the area. I am sure we have all seen adverts on roundabouts sponsored by a local company. Don't see anything wrong with that. Might keep toll prices pegged a bit? 

An example, my brother lives outside of the UK and the main road to the airport where he lives was an eyesore with stuff being dumped etc. The government initiated a "Sponsor a mile" campaign and local businesses get to put up a small advertisement when they sign up. It's now the best kept road on the island as anyone going in or out has to go down said road.

Why not if it's done in a "not so in your face" way? Too many cynics around:dance

Although I like the idea of the Potter bridge theme. How many kids would insist Dad took the boat through Goofies mouth? Ok may be more accidents, but if they use the pilot service it would put more pennies towards keeping that going. I will say this last bit wasn't a serious comment.

I rather suspect that the aim is to gain tens of thousands of pounds and there aren't many local Broads river related businesses that will stump up a lot of money or perceive any great benefit. However, Richardsons already sponsors a good many publications and I suspect that such things will continue. As for sponsoring roundabouts (perhaps 24 hour moorings) will be the equivalent, then I don't see this as a goer. 

However, as I pointed out elsewhere, there will be few commercial operations who would not be looking to gain some favour over and above advertising by entering into any such deal. 

It is the thin end of the wedge. 

I'd say that we are not quite at the stage of 'this mooring is funded by Cadbury Fruit & Nut' - but if you are a large company it is always nice to show shareholders and the public that you support good causes and favorable 'green' projects.

I suspect therefore what the Broads Authority will be after is some cash in return for a company being able to use say they have help support 'Britain's newest National Park' and use the Broads Authority logo so people think that good is coming out of something that might not necessarily be so good to the wider environment.

29 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I'd say that we are not quite at the stage of 'this mooring is funded by Cadbury Fruit & Nut' - but if you are a large company it is always nice to show shareholders and the public that you support good causes and favorable 'green' projects.

I suspect therefore what the Broads Authority will be after is some cash in return for a company being able to use say they have help support 'Britain's newest National Park' and use the Broads Authority logo so people think that good is coming out of something that might not necessarily be so good to the wider environment.

Would they, Robin, and leave themselves open to vociferous criticism for misleading their customers over the legal status of the Broads? 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2015, 20:18:20, JennyMorgan said:

Would they, Robin, and leave themselves open to vociferous criticism for misleading their customers over the legal status of the Broads? 

Perhaps. It's not the same as drowning babies though.

For some companies (though perhaps not VW), there is no such thing as bad publicity. 

• Like 1

Andy, Coca-cola chose to distance itself from football's international bosses. perhaps they wouldn't agree with you? Hopefully the NP question can be sorted though, but at DEFRA rather than BA level, then we can all move forward.

In the meantime the Broads have two valuable tags, Broadland and The Broads, both capable of supporting both our identity and our tourism industry. 

• Like 4

Regarding Andy`s (freedom) mention of moorings, this could be just waht the BA are after. What`s the betting on big buisness doing a sponsorship deal with the BA for somewhere like, Pye`s mill moorings on the Chet, and insisting on being able to errect advertising hordings along the quay heading (much you get in a football stadium) or along  the back of the walkway beside it, and using BA volunteers to hand out flyers to all moored boats, promoting that buisnesses product or service?.  No, the simplest way to raise the vital income is to downsize the manning levels in Dragonfly house and elsewhere, and to stop BA bosses being sent on all expenses paid jollies.

It's called Yare House! :-)

I only said "some companies", Peter. 

For the BA to close it's planning department and transfer this responsibility back to the respective local councils (which are more than capable of dealing with this) would be most pleasing for many.

Has anybody got details of what the planning department costs the BA annually?

• Like 1

Yare House it is, the old grey matter is on the decline! Packman Towers to many of us.

Thorpe House, isn't that a school for the wayward daughters of Norfolk's gentry, or is it a figment of my fevered imagination?

Re department costs, where's Paladin when you need him?

Re that department, it's not just the case of its costs that is open to question.

• Like 1