Free boat any takers

imtamping2

37 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Ferro concrete? Built in Norfolk? Windboats? She looks familiar.

Worth having!

She certainly looks like Ferro, there's the faint outline of the vertical armatures along the top of the gunwales.

I doubt if she was built in Norfolk though, at nearly 100ft long I'd guess she was built exactly where she now lays....

No wonder it's free. The cost of moving it would be tremendous.

Even though it's free, it would be a hell of a gamble Peter.

30 metres long?  in ferro cement ?

It could easily cost around a hundred grand to complete, even on a DIY basis, with this foundation of completely unknown provenance.

It was always the problem with ferro! So cheap to produce a hull, so many built too big. They had not taken into account the exponential fitting out cost for each metre added. 

All over The World in the seventies and eighties were elephant graveyards of hulls, often beautifully made.

The return is also not great on these boats. BONIFY is for sale lying Ipswich. She did the round Britain for the OGA 50 anniversary. Ferro, with pitch pine on oak deck, heating and ready to go blue water she is for sale at just £28000.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChrisB said:

........The return is also not great on these boats. BONIFY is for sale lying Ipswich. She did the round Britain for the OGA 50 anniversary. Ferro, with pitch pine on oak deck, heating and ready to go blue water she is for sale at just £28000.

Yes, there's always a question mark hanging over them when they sell, ferro demanded a meticulous attention to detail when being constructed.

Bonify is a beautiful ferro boat though, the best I've ever seen, you'd swear she was an old woodie..

http://www.oga.org.uk/boat/bonify

bonify.jpg

Yes, you are so right, just wish I was younger and fitter. She was the owners home for five years and in my opinion an absolute bargain at £28k. You could not put a 19ft gaffer in the water for that money and she is 37ft

11 hours ago, ChrisB said:

It was always the problem with ferro! So cheap to produce a hull, so many built too big. They had not taken into account the exponential fitting out cost for each metre added. 

All over The World in the seventies and eighties were elephant graveyards of hulls, often beautifully made.

The return is also not great on these boats. BONIFY is for sale lying Ipswich. She did the round Britain for the OGA 50 anniversary. Ferro, with pitch pine on oak deck, heating and ready to go blue water she is for sale at just £28000.

I can think of four Windboat Endurance hulls sat in farm-yards or gardens across Norfolk & Suffolk, probably just as they were delivered. One in Oulton Broad, for example, has sat there for decades.

Good, long lasting stuff though:

http://www.theexcelsiortrust.co.uk/concretion-fcb/