WINTER CRUISING

SPEEDTRIPLE

7 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

The church at Burgh St Peter. we had a walk up and a look inside.

2015_1111variousneilspics0014.JPG

Now I seem to remember that Carol did a really fascinating blog about the Church at burgh St Peter. I think the Vicar was called Rev Boycott if I remember rightly . I'm not sure how to do the link but perhaps Carol might spot this and help out :-) 

Yet more blue sky, this time with Karen steering from above for the first time. It was at this time she realised just exactly how long Lightning is, and found it a bit daunting. She soon got used to it, and after i told her it`s the same boat she was driving from inside the day before.

2015_1111variousneilspics0039.JPG

• Like 3

Yes, thanks Peter. I just read the opening paragraph and it describes me to a tee. I`m not religeous, but love to look at old churches, and have many really nice photo`s of stained glass windows. What i also like about churches is the history they can tell about the parish, and its people.  Even though their individual history may not be of imediate interest tome, it`s a vital for those that need and use it.

And these last 2 showing what was in store for tomorrow. This time the weathermen got it right, so we moored at home for Thursday night and Friday, and went to Beccles by car, then to Thurne to see Liz at Ramblers.

It was a lovely 3 days cruising on empty rivers under mostly blue sky. If anyone ever gets the chance to hire a boat out of season, do it. You can`t garuntee the weather, but you can`t do that in this country at ANY time of year no matter what the season But if you`re blessed with sunny weather, the Broads has a totally different but equally as magical charm.

2015_1111variousneilspics0073.JPG

2015_1111variousneilspics0078.JPG

• Like 5

Loved seeing your photos. We really like Langley Dyke and it made a great first night mooring when we hired out of Brundall on a Friday start last June. We're looking forward to getting out next March just ahead of the start of the season with Easter falling early next year.

We have been on board autumn/winter on a number of occasions since we bought into Moonlight Shadow, It can be magical, so quiet and peaceful.

We've even done Christmas once, with Christmas/New year allocated for 2016.  Our first trip for 2016 is straight after winter maintenance so, hopefully, she should be in excellent order.

As discussed, cleaning can be an interesting topic.  We have the same contract as Thunder and it does save us time  and stress on turnround day.  Like Thunder a ticklist has been agreed between the syndicate and the cleaners.

Like Matt, we too could not clean her in an hour, our problem being Rosie's hairs, for which we pay a £10 premium (individually not as part of the syndicate budget).

SueH

Edited by BroadScot
Removed duplicates :-)
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Now I seem to remember that Carol did a really fascinating blog about the Church at burgh St Peter. I think the Vicar was called Rev Boycott if I remember rightly . I'm not sure how to do the link but perhaps Carol might spot this and help out :-) 

More pics of said church. P1000173.thumb.JPG.f98894169e13083b29c2eP1000174.thumb.JPG.9a3ecbc2e910bdb6d0085P1000175.thumb.JPG.e1ae45f314dbf74e65a1b

• Like 3

I think to anyone who really loves the Broads, cruising out of season is wonderful with empty rivers and moorings. November has mostly been very mild this year and made for some splendid cruising, I know it's all changed now though. Whilst we have our boat taken out of the water for 3/4 months over the winter, we still enjoy early and late cruising. (Ageing bones/joints and our distance from the Broads preclude us from the coldest months sadly!) It is a shame that there are not more hire boats available during the winter but, reading the reasons that Freedom limit hirings, does give a real insight to the difficulties faced by hire boat operators. One of the most fascinating books I have read is 'A Broad Experience' (Diary of a Norfolk Broads hire fleet 1999 - 2006) written by Robin Godber who owned Alexander Cruisers. I really recommend it to anyone, both current hirer and ex-hirer, it contains loads of lovely stories and really had me laughing at some of them! It was published by Hamilton Publications (who else?!) in 2010.

• Like 6

We bought a copy 2 weeks ago when we were up there.

I totally agree, that`s why i started this thread. I do believe that fleet operators could stretch their season by a couple of weeks or so, but as you say, Andy has given some very valid reasons why it might not be feasable. However, when you take into account people like Howard (Norfolk Nog), and others like him, if you predominantly hire from one fleet, and have demostrated to that fleet operator that you are very competent, and always look after their boats, i think that it may be a good idea to leave the maintainance of one or two popular boats til last, to allow those that love to cruise out of season the chance to do so.  If however that is NOT going to happen, then buy into a syndicate boat, we cruise all year round.

We have been out for a week from just after Christmas and over New Year when we had a share in Moonlight. Lucky with the weather and really enjoyed the quite rivers. An added bonus was seeing a Bittern slowly wading along the reeds on the Yare near Rockland.

Matt and Neil. As you know we now have a share in Lightning and we do use the same cleaner as Thunder. They clean everything internally except: inside of microwave, inside of fridge and inside of oven and grill.

We clean one side of the exterior on the last afternoon then return to Brooms to clean the other side.

Internally we  vacuum throughout and clean the galley and inside cupboards and drawers. The rest we then leave to the cleaner and haven't had any complaints from other owners.

We are not as fit as we were and doing it this way stil takes us more than an hour for the inside.

We think paying £40 for the remainder to be cleaned is good value considering that this sum (4 weeks £160) added to our annual running costs still gives us a summer weeks cruising for less than the cost of an equivalent hire boat - leaving us with the rest of the three weeks for a cost of about £100 per week (fuel and pumpouts).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webntweb said:

We have been out for a week from just after Christmas and over New Year when we had a share in Moonlight. Lucky with the weather and really enjoyed the quite rivers. An added bonus was seeing a Bittern slowly wading along the reeds on the Yare near Rockland.

Matt and Neil. As you know we now have a share in Lightning and we do use the same cleaner as Thunder. They clean everything internally except: inside of microwave, inside of fridge and inside of oven and grill.

We clean one side of the exterior on the last afternoon then return to Brooms to clean the other side.

Internally we  vacuum throughout and clean the galley and inside cupboards and drawers. The rest we then leave to the cleaner and haven't had any complaints from other owners.

We are not as fit as we were and doing it this way stil takes us more than an hour for the inside.

We think paying £40 for the remainder to be cleaned is good value considering that this sum (4 weeks £160) added to our annual running costs still gives us a summer weeks cruising for less than the cost of an equivalent hire boat - leaving us with the rest of the three weeks for a cost of about £100 per week (fuel and pumpouts).

Having had a share in Thunder prior to a cleaner being available I can say I much prefer it with a cleaner! It also stops any issues of owners differing standards.

• Like 1