Boat Shield is launched

Wildfuzz

I will post more details as I get them, look out for the local yards and info points.

Norfolk police has joined forces with boatyards, chandlers, clubs and groups in the area to launch BoatShield in a bid to help stamp out boat crime in the county.

The scheme was launched at the Marine Crime Prevention Open Day held at the Brundall Bay Marina on Saturday and encourages boat owners to be serious about security by joining BoatShield, marking property and removing valuables from boats.

PC Amy Barrell and PCSO Martin Chapman from the Broads Beat team were kept busy with between 30 and 40 people visiting them during the morning and a number signed up to the initiative, which features alerts about boat crime in the area.

PCSO Chapman said: “A lot of people will come off their boat in September, lock it up and think no more about it until next year, and in the spring we get all these reports.”

Last winter there were more than 40 reports of outboard motors being stolen from boats in the county but it is hoped the scheme will help cut such crime.

The Broads Beat team inspector, Teresa Eagleton said: “Signing up to it sends out a strong message to thieves that people with the BoatShield emblem have taken steps to secure their boat, and at the same time it will help boat owners to be aware of the risks.”

For more details or to sign up to the scheme call the Broads Beat team on 101

• Like 6

Gives our Stuart time to practice his whittling during those cold, dark winter evenings.:naughty:

Does seem strange although would be interesting to hear if there are more thefts during the season or out of season? I guess a lot more opportunistic thefts during the season. The real crims will be at it when it's harder to detect and possibly would require thousands of Stuarts to cover all the areas. So what is the collective noun for a lot of Stuarts?

I think a flock would be nice? Or maybe a gaggle.

Some might disagree but I've always found the most useful security on the broads is the live aboards. They're the most likely people to spot suspicious activity as they're always about. Better relations with the liveaboards could be a free 24hr security service :)

branden

• Like 7

Sadly the BA and councils don't share that view Branden... I must say though what you probably mean is they are about more frequently than holiday makers because some of us do work ;)  it's also a good idea a good point of being friendly which fell moored boats as anyone moored near you as anyone can act as security, I typically ask anyone I moor next if they wouldn't mind keeping an eye on the boat (and ropes) whilst we wonder off and I happily do the same to others.. Saying that even fisher people..

When we was out in the dinghy last year on a very secluded part of the broads (under that bridge) we stopped off next to a sailboat and asked if they can keep an eye on it whilst we find the pub.. They didn't even blink :) and pretty much told us to tie the dinghy to their boat! They was so kind and even appeared to wait until we returned (it was only a lunch).. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Sadly Alan next time you do that you may return and not find the saily or dinghy there!!

I do hope there are more nice people like that than the nasty ones. Well we are on here anyway.

They were typical friendly yachties Mark ;) .. I admit though it's not the most secure thing to motor around in but any boat can be untied I guess.. :( (I certainly need to look into this boat shield scheme ;) ) 

Just bought myself some cable locks for my trip in march as the dinghy will be left unattended at times so want it secured. Along with the outboard and tanks all nicely locked up. I know they can be cut if your armed with the right gear, but hopefully as we will be moving about it will deter the opportunists out there. Going to get myself one of the outboard covers as well for use at night.

18 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

Gives our Stuart time to practice his whittling during those cold, dark winter evenings.:naughty:

Does seem strange although would be interesting to hear if there are more thefts during the season or out of season? I guess a lot more opportunistic thefts during the season. The real crims will be at it when it's harder to detect and possibly would require thousands of Stuarts to cover all the areas. So what is the collective noun for a lot of Stuarts?

I think a flock would be nice? Or maybe a gaggle.

Or maybe a "gossip" or "Plod" of police officers

• Like 2

Although it shows as seasonal there is a fulltime Broads Beat Officer 365, as stated winter is the time for opportunist crime which often goes un noticed until the following season, everyone is the eyes and ears for marine crime prevention as by the very nature of our wonderful Broads they are problematic to patrol.

S.

• Like 1

As stated in a previous thread, Deb and I turned up to our boat rather late one night, must have been about 11:45pm. Before we had even emptied our stuff out of the van some headlights appeared and parked up next to said van. A young policeman came down to the boat armed with a torch to see what was going on. Not sure if someone had called him or he was just patrolling that area. After a short chat he left us to finish our unpacking satisfied that we were indeed the boat owners.

my only complaint was he could have grabbed some stuff out of the van and brought it to the boat, after all he was only carrying a torch :D.

my point is I am sure someone moored at the marina had heard a vehicle pull up and then maybe our footsteps as we walked along the moorings and called the authorities. It was just after the thefts of a couple of outboards from the marina so maybe extra checks were being made. Whichever it was it was good, as an owner, to know this was happening.

cheers

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Tangara said:

When trying to join the network my email keeps getting bumped back undeliverable on the Norfolk address :shocked

anyone else having this problem?

cheers

Ray

Having  the same problem Ray with email being bumped back and undeliverable to Norfolk email address...