Do you use Yellow Pages Book

Brian

Do you use the Paper Yellow Pages or use a online search instead ?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Im not so sure Brian, theres still quite a few people who dont have access to the internet and still rely on directories such as yellow pages. Ok I know that its possible to get online via your local libary, but the hassel of booking a slot, getting yourself there, knowing how to use the PC when you do can all be a bit much for some, and they still prefare the old fashioned methods of a directory or scanning the local paper for the information they need :)

Julz :wave

I have always been in the yellow pages, but the cost !!! i have two adds in there small ones costing about £2000

It wont be long before the yellow pages rep ( different one every year) calls to sort out next years add.

Im wondering if its the best way to advertise. The majority of our work is through recommendations. ( about 80%)

On paper, it does not pay for itself, then there's YEll the online yellow pages.

But is the whole thing of searching for a local plumber who you don't know for example still about ?

I mean, everyone knows someone, if you want a local plumber, you phone a friend to see who they used. - Word of Mouth.

Its a bit like Air Con and refrigeration, shop owner phones a friend to see who they use.

When we moved to Norfolk last year we were really in need of a Yellow Pages but did not receive one until a few months ago.

Internet connection was rubbish, and not much better now. There is still a need for it but hard to see how they can justify the price of the advertising.

As newcomers, we use the village directories that are around in various locations, proved quite useful so far.

Ken

Difficult one Brian but I agree I think Yellow Pages days are numbered.

I think tradesfolk are looking for more for their £ from advertising. An advert in the Yellow Pages does not link to a web site or show customers recommendations and previous work etc.

I would be more inclined to contact a business that had these rather than a non interactive advert. You can do this yourself using Google etc you might be able to get the site tecchies to assist you or you could look at linking into one of the new generations of websites such as http://www.trustatrader.com/join.asp

Here in Derbyshire we have something called 'Thomson Local' its a free directory of local business ads and numbers with website addresses which i believe is much cheaper to place an add in as its a much thinner directory and specific to the local area, unlike Yellow pages which often covers more than one county :)

Maybe the Norfolk equivelent would be an option for you to consider Brian, as i believe there are still those who rely on the directories to fine the service they need, especially in an emergency as with burst pipes or electrics off ect when theres often no time to start phoning around friends first for advice :?

Julz :wave

I have always been in the yellow pages, but the cost !!! i have two adds in there small ones costing about £2000

Brian

for that i wouldn't be surprised if you could put an add on the local tv programs or pay ex Broadland radio for an add with them over the Air not as if only a few people listen.

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

its great for laying on things to flatten them

or as an emergency door stop etc

jill cheers

Or to drop on those brown and furry jobs with 8 legs before they scarper under some immoveable piece of furniture.

Like Rod I also still use the Yellow Pages for contacts (after carefully wiping off any squashed Tegenaria gigantea that is).

We stopped advertising through the yellow pages a year ago, although we still do yell.com.

Adam keeps a spreadsheet showing where all our business comes from and it splits something like 70% word of mouth, 25% bridal fayres, 5% other. Out of the other, we have not had one booking in two years from the yellow pages. In fact, we find the only people that ring having looked in the yellow pages are those who have left it too late and are desperate and every time, we are booked. We have however taken bookings from people who have linked to the website from yell.com.

So, for us just not worth the £2k.