Can you scull?

JennyMorgan

Arthur Ransome taught me how to scull about 50 years ago.... :)

"In the stern of Swallow there was a half-circle cut out of the transom, like a bite out of the edge of a bit of bread and butter. There was just room for an oar to lie loosely in it, so that the boat could be moved along by one oar worked from side to side, and twisted this way and that so that it always pushes against the water. A lot of people do not know how to scull over the stern of a boat, but it is easy enough if you do know; and John had been taught by his father long ago in Falmouth harbour."

From "Swallows & Amazons" 1931.

I consequently usually fitted a third rowlock socket to the transom on most of my dinghies, but I confess the outboard motor usually won......

Sculling was the first thing I learned in moving a boat. It was a clinker built tender in the local harbour that was moored to the bottom of a ladder and used by fishermen to get to their boats moored on bouys. A young lad was a handy way to take the tender back to shore if they were going out fishing.

• Like 1