What ladies drank on the Broads in the 1960's

NorfolkNog

Firstly humble apologies to Carol for nicking this from her Twitter feed :naughty::naughty:

but I thought it was such a good photo 

No WKD or fancy lager, these ladies are drinking Steward and Pattesons fine ales :-)

Interestingly beer is still being brewed under the S & P brand but not at the original brewery which has long gone. Very fine beer indeed and well worth seeking out among the Wherry and other usual suspects :-) 

IMG_20151127_093528.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Hi Iain 

I can see exactly where you are coming from but no, it's Horning Ferry. Bit deceptive because it was taken before the thatched roof was destroyed by fire. 

Hi Howard,

Sorry, I meant I have seen the S&P letters at Thorpe St Andrew, is what I meant. I remember TFI before the fire. It was the RAF Pilots local for many in WW2 I believe.

cheersIain

When friends and I took on the Waveney Inn during the 1970's we had the car-park resurfaced courtesy of Watneys on the condition that a Watney's Red Barrel had prime position on the bar. We also had Courage Directors, various Adnams ales, a couple of Scottish-Newcastle beers and Green King so the Watneys had some real competition. We must have got something right as we regularly won the Broads Pub of the Year Award. Anyway, try as we might, Red Barrel accounted for around one percent of our ale sales. When it was revamped as Red sales diminished even further! Don't suppose it had anything to do with pump-out storage tank, a big drum on the quay head outside the shop, that was painted pillar box red!

• Like 5

Howard, you're a very naughty boy! Slapped wrist when I see you next week! :naughty:

It is a great photo and was from the 1965 Blake's boating brochure. The photo was obviously taken in 1964 as the fire which destroyed the thatch occurred in March 1965. Excuse the plug, but there is a photo of that fire (and the story of the Luftwaffe bombing raid which destroyed the earlier building) in an old Broadland Memories blog post here: http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2010/10/the-ferry-inn-horning-an-eventful-history/

Carol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They used to reckon that S&P was the best bitter and Bullards was the best mild, while Youngs and Crawshays was the best bottled light ale. There was also some stuff for cold-starting diesel engines, called a Bullards Nip.

Broadscot - I thought of Thorpe as well at first. Thorpe Gardens was S&P, and the Buck was Bullards. I seem to remember that the King's Head (now the River Garden) was Morgans.

• Like 1

70s it was Dubonnet and lemonade, and then dry martini and lemonade - both in retrospect were pretty revolting, certainly the dry martini and lemonade. Even the wine then was pretty vile.....but you could still drink too much wine but not the martini :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

They used to reckon that S&P was the best bitter and Bullards was the best mild, while Youngs and Crawshays was the best bottled light ale. There was also some stuff for cold-starting diesel engines, called a Bullards Nip.

Broadscot - I thought of Thorpe as well at first. Thorpe Gardens was S&P, and the Buck was Bullards. I seem to remember that the King's Head (now the River Garden) was Morgans.

That's very interesting as I believe the Norwich Brewery later brought out versions of Bullards Mild and S and P bitter although I suspect they were not a patch on the originals. Barry (Springsong) would know better as I belive he used to sell them at the Ship cheersbar