Shaving

Poppy

Being a pogonophile of many years duration, I would be grateful for some advice. My son has indicated that a new electric razor would be much appreciated from Santa this year.

Clearly, I have NO experience of these things. Could ant forumite help ? - Gracie, I don't think that one of those epilator things will do :naughty:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Being a pogonophile of many years duration

Hmmmmmm no idea what that is but it sounds like I should   :River Police    lol.

Anyways on the razor issue I think the first thing to establish if he wants a rotary type or not, its a preference thing, I cannot use them personally and go for the other type with a standard foil and pivoting head. Mains or rechargeable, wet / dry use.....Its a minefield.

S.

Poppy, very thin ice that you are entering onto. Ladies and shaving are sensitive matters best left out of the equation! 

I can only imagine that a battery driven shaver would have much to recommend it on a sailing boat. Alternatively tell him that passionate women like a beard, so long as it's not populated by yesterday's food scraps or well fed mice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, riyadhcrew said:

I've used Phillips rotary shavers for years and can't fault them. My latest is rechargable and rinses clean under the tap. A charge covers a week on the boat with no problem at all.

Likewise Eric, a Philips Recharge /Wet Shaver. With skin problems like I have had for many years, I have always bought Philips. This latest one is the best yet. Easy to keep clean too.

cheersIain.

• Like 1

When I began shaving, I was lead by by father and he always used Braun and an electric shaver...As time passed I found these got cheaper and lighter and just not very nice things to use. 

I tried other brands and systems - such as Philishave but the same results would follow me.  I get a fair amount of stubble after just a day and it would take some time to get it back to a 'smooth' skin, along with it all the red burn as it turns out I have sensitive skin.  Not to mention the cleaning of the shaver and replacement foils or cutters I ditched the electric and tried wet shaving instead.

Wow much easier, faster and smoother results - but ouch! Still that burn and sensitive skin.

Again, after a lot of trial and error with all the major branded fancy razors I still had issues so more investment into balms and shave gels and really was thinking I had to shave and suffer with the problem of red rash after and generally not a very happy face.

Then, in need of a new razor in a rush I did not want to buy a disposable but the Salisbury's I was in had none of the Gillette Fusion 'Pro-Glide' razors that I had found was the best for myself - so I took a gamble and bought Sainsbury's own branded 'Men Advance Razor System'.

Well well - this, combined with Gillette Sensitive Skin shaving gel (the plain cheap one not the fancy one) gives me the most close, amazing shave ever - not only this but with SIX blades they last and last and last way longer than the branded equivalents I'd tried in the past.

So, if you do wet shave give this a go for a week - be sure to get the Advance System - and you might well be impressed.

I'd never return to electric shavers now but we are all very different of course. 

Hi Robin,

I tried the Sainsbury's system, and agree its very good indeed. However, I have to stay with the Philips, that way I don't end up like someone who has been in a boxing ring!:naughty: Psoriasis on the fizzog and razor blades just don't like each other, sadly. :(

cheersIain.

Robin, looks like you have all the excuses for growing a full set! I once read, in Readers Digest, that the average man will spend seven months of his life shaving. Never bothered to justify that claim but decided there and then that I would far rather spend that seven months in a nice warm bed with a nice warm woman!

• Like 2

It was in 1966... no hot water and as a callow youth trying to wet shave on a camping holiday in Austria. After 3 days I could stand it no more. By the time I got back to the UK the 'scruffy' stage was over. Never looked back - extra ten minutes in the morning - LUXURY. 

Furthermore, SWMBO says  she'll divorce me if I ever shave it off. Handy to keep one's options open :naughty:

• Like 4

I use to suffer badly from cold sores on my mouth ends when working out on building sites with brick dust from wraggling walls. My Doctor suggested I grew a "tash" to see if that stopped said sores. Well, forty years on, I can honestly say, it has worked! :party: Not much use for Gracie though!:naughty:

cheersIain.

• Like 1

I was one of those unfortunates that 'needed' to shave twice a day if I didn't want complaints from my girl-friend. So that was probably 15 to 20 minutes a day, best part of two hours a week, eight hours a month, ninety plus hours a year. Started shaving when I was about fifteen so that was getting on for fifty-five potential years shaving, what a waste of time!  I don't expect a lady to have her boobs removed so why should a man remove his facial hair?

33 minutes ago, Poppy said:

It was in 1966... no hot water and as a callow youth trying to wet shave on a camping holiday in Austria. After 3 days I could stand it no more. By the time I got back to the UK the 'scruffy' stage was over. Never looked back - extra ten minutes in the morning - LUXURY. 

Furthermore, SWMBO says  she'll divorce me if I ever shave it off. Handy to keep one's options open :naughty:

Hi Poppy,

I have had my beard from the early 70's Tan would not be best pleased if I shaved it off.

It used to be black but white now and for some reason seems to grow quicker towards Christmas:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I used to use a battery electric shaver, but two in to weeks going for a swim costs too much...( I was getting out of my sailing boat with the wash kit wrapped up in a towel while heading for the Sailing club shower block...) so I've wet shaved ever since, and none of them took a flying leap into the water..

I used to have a full set until it started to look older than the rest of me, then I "downsized" to a goatee about 10 years ago and finally bit the bullet and removed the bottom half whilst on holiday in 2011. I have tried everything equipment-wise and conclude that their is nothing like a proper wet shave with soap and a brush to make lather and a "king of shaves" razor with disposable multi-blade heads.  I got on OK with a Phillips rotary for a while but then started to get a rash from it.

cheers

Steve