2016 Beccles Wooden Broads Cruiser Show

JanetAnne

Whilst we are all huddled in front of a candle trying to survive the winters elements, news has finally come through regarding next years Beccles Wooden Broads Cruiser Rally.

The Beccles carnival committee et al, have, after much discussion, confirmed the dates for their gala weekend as August 20th – 21st 2016. Of course we have an automatic block booking for the north side of the yacht station and this is now all confirmed.

So, after the brilliant success of our 2015 event the doors are thrown open to all that have a thirst for varnished wood and an eye for some of the most fabulous old woodies still touring the broads to come along once again and join in.

We have 20 moorings available for the event this year and have booked them all from Thursday 18th through to Monday 22nd so that you can come early, miss the tides, and, if you are able, stay for the carnival Sunday and beyond.

The event will consist of a few competitions along the way (optional and all a bit of fun of course) as well as the chance to pick your boat of the weekend after having a nose round some of those attending. Yes, we will be encouraging you all to open your boats up again so we can drool over dressers and pick at plate racks, marvel at engines and chat about cabin sides!

This year we will have a few extra rally packs so that enthusiasts unable to bring their boat along will be able to take part as well.

As last year, there is no charge for the event (just your mooring fee to pay) and you are not being asked to join a club. There is no commercial sponsorship. Its purely a gathering of enthusiasts and a celebration of great boats from some of the greatest builders on the broads.

Don’t take too long in booking your place though. We expect demand to be high!

And yes, with a bit of luck I will be there this year as well. How can you resist?

Here's a reminder of last years event....

WP_20150816_11_59_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.8589aWP_20150816_11_57_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.c0abaWP_20150816_11_51_12_Pro.thumb.jpg.7d9b4IMG_7031.thumb.JPG.dfc2bb3c7588fd2913b0aIMG_7052.thumb.JPG.e5a381a18e09e05421284IMG_7136.thumb.JPG.4e1b3fe478cc9605035adIMG_7174.thumb.JPG.0df9ac7f753be54ae8689IMG_7194.thumb.JPG.33a08971af0c854c9784f

BA_from_MTB102_#01.JPG

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Saily said:

Does a wooden boat have to meet any age criteria to join in?

and does the wood have to be tree-wood, or does plywood count?

Just asking.... :-)

Is plywood not from a tree then? 

Actually we hadn't even considered a cut off date because wooden broads cruiser production faded away in the early 70's so its sort of self policing.

Just asking or just wondering if you can bring something along?

Bit of both really....

We weren't old enough to qualify for the sadly-defunct VWBA, but it always looked like a good showcase for the best of Broads boating, and at a lovely venue.

We're plywood and built between 2001 and 2004, (so we escaped the self-policing :-) ) and certainly a Broads Cruiser (as defined by the River Cruiser Class anyways), and can also boast some real tree-wood (mast, spars, tiller, rudder and myriad little bits of toe rail etc), but based in Ludham... and (confession time) - have flappy saily things too... so a round trip to Beccles isn't something we would realistically undertake in less than 3-4 days, even with perfect tides and weather (it's fun, not a race)

If we can find a hole in the diary we'd like to join in but it's dependent upon tide times and availability of leave from work, so I thought I'd check eligibility first :-) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saily said:

Bit of both really....

We weren't old enough to qualify for the sadly-defunct VWBA, but it always looked like a good showcase for the best of Broads boating, and at a lovely venue.

We would love to have you Saily. 

It's a bit different to the old vwba because we show the boats. It was trialed last year and really worked because everyone got to meet each other while being shown around and so, I hope, nobody felt out of place. Of course, not every one is able to 'show'. Manxman, for example, last year has an Alsatian with toothache aboard so we all steered well clear!!

There was no one representing the rag and sticks at Beccles last year although there are lots of other events and regattas for the river cruisers and so they are probably already busy enough! We are also hoping Brilliant will be there. I think you two, with what... 70 years between you will be really interesting to see.

Have a look at your diary. If its workable we would love to have you

Very kind, JA :-)

Tides are looking quite favourable but I'll have to monitor work issues, so if we get a chance we'd love to be there.

Busy RCC boats are often engaged racing and that's not high on our priority list but it's a good excuse for a South trip which is always fun, and getting a mixture of boat types has to be good for spectators and participants alike, seeing how the other half lives and all that.....

Don't save us a place just in case - we wouldn't want to block/waste it - but we're not that big that we can't take a chance on squeezing in somewhere close-ish

Feels like August is a long way away at present, but I'm sure it'll whizz round soon enough - have a great event regardless :-) 

On 14 December 2015 at 4:19 PM, Saily said:

can also boast some real tree-wood (mast, spars, tiller, rudder and myriad little bits of toe rail etc)

Sometimes its all even in one piece - don't forget to check it all for holes when you come out of hibernation:naughty:

If time is an issue we have spare experienced crew who can bring Water Rail down for you Liz - and return her after the weekend. That way you could attend on the weekend itself?

Would love Water Rail to make it this year, her empty space on the quay was a reminder that she was sadly missing in 2015.

It might just depend on how busy WR is trying to earn a living to pay her bills.

One of my biggest problems is getting away before a weekend as I work Fridays and it isn't an easy day to get cover due toto other staff commitments, hence why at Barton it is a mad dash up the A11 after work and amazingly we are usually on Barton with all three boats by 10-10.30.  However this year things might change............so I am more optimistic but the offer of someone else taking her there if she is available would be great.

Well here's a surprise.

On my list of confirmed attendee's I have just added one 'Janet 3'. Now obviously all the Martham built Janet's would qualify but this one is still in hire! I shall let the hirer's introduce themselves as and when they are ready to but they are real woodie enthusiasts and really wanted to attend and so have found something appropriate to bring along.

Top marks for effort chaps!

• Like 4

On 15/12/2015 at 6:27 PM, w-album said:

WR would like to say to Janet Anne that she would love to come but her owner can't at the moment make any promises. :)

Of course someone may follow Mark and Lynsey,s example and hire Water Rail Liz. Then you'll have to bring your tent instead!!

• Like 2