Hello from Vaughan

Vaughan

Hi Vaughan

Even this forum has its moments but it is wisely moderated.  There is that occasional thread that goes round and round in circles with the same contributors always having opposing views but it never descends into personal abuse.

Living away from the Broads (and unlikely to return permanently) I find this forum brilliant for getting that daily fix and I love anything that involves history or old photos.  Holiday tales usually start when I am at my most busiest with all my other interests so they don't get read.  However this particular thread had me totally gripped for several days until it was unravelled http://www.thenorfolkbroads.net/forum/topic/5433-where/?page=1

As to my nickname, that came about when I first joined one of the Broadland forum several years ago and relates to one of my other interests.  Now most people on here know me for beginning Water Rail's paymaster but even she has to start earning her keep.  This is where Jason has been so involved as without him and his care (with those at LBBY) she would have probably been on the bottom somewhere. He has a lot of photos of her transformation through the various phases of first making her usable, second stopping her from sinking, third stopping her from sinking and then finally making her look beautiful and part of the Broadlands heritage and still with only cold water running in her taps!

As to Facebook, it has its very bad points but also has some very good valuable points.  There are several groups run by Sue Hines (if you don't know her she takes some of the best boat pictures on the Broads) - these groups are closed groups (only viewable to members) and cover several local issues such as Broadland News which highlights many BA topics and one regarding the Hoveton Broad debate.  JC being a key contributor. All very valuable. Given a few weeks with this forum you might find your way to consider it as your input on those subjects would be well received.

I will try and find an old photo that you might like to see.

All the best

Liz

• Like 2

And a warm welcome from me Sir!

If there was ever a thread destined to send forumites up their loft ladders in search of old pictures and memoirs then this is it!

I will be excitedly looking forward to reading all about the Broads from a bygone age.

• Like 1

Hello  Vaughan

You wont remember me I first met you at Womack when your then 

wife was pregnant with I think your second child 1978 perhaps ?

We in the eighties took on the Ship at South Walsham and got to know

her quite well, I think we met a few times at NBYC as well. My uncle

was Gerald Sketch if you knew him from Wayford Marine.

Barry Battersby.

Hi Vaughan,

I should really have posted here. Yes there are still some of the 'older' generation around who remember the better days, and they were.

Still have labradors, present one is my avatar, plus a black one. 

Hi Liz, hope you are well too. Glad to know old Abbott is still remembered.

• Like 1

For Vaughan and Labrador - these are very old photos and some lost their colour.  I may have the negatives somewhere but they were only 110 film so don't scan well. I am sure one of these dogs is Abbott, one could be Vaughan's which I think was named after a shipping forecast area but I can't remember which one?  It's just possible the famous 'H' is also in one of the shots but not sure.  I remember Labrador took a home movie of the dogs jumping into the river and then running it backwards which was hilarious.  For Labrador I am also well...........

Womack1.jpg

Womack2.jpg

Womack3.jpg

Womack4.jpg

• Like 1

Springsong, indeed I remember. You probably saw Moira quite a lot after we were divorced as she lived in South Walsham for a while and I know she went in the pub. I was a guest at her third wedding in February!

And the dogs, aren't they lovely? The bottom photo is outside the door of the shop, in our first year at Womack and the pups are Malin, the black one, which was Pat Simpson's dog (his son is called Shannon!) and the yellow one is Lundy, which was mine. Pat's next dog was going to be an Alsatian, called German Bight. They were both from the same litter. Next one up is H for hound, and third one up was taken a year or so later. This depicts H and Lundy in the process of making a litter of puppies.

It is great to see these and thanks very much. Best wishes to you all.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hi Vaughan. This is clare lincoln from Thorpe st Andrew. I used to live opposite you. On the river. And I seem to remember swimming across to you on the boat. Or you would come over with a  row boat and one oar! I remember many jovial times on your parents boat. I’m now living in  Australia …But currently visiting  the UK . Be good to hear from you. Email me to contact? 

14 hours ago, ClareVictoria said:

Hi Vaughan. This is clare lincoln from Thorpe st Andrew.

Wow! Hello Clare.  How great to hear from you after all these years.  So you are in Australia.  Last I heard, I thought you were in Africa?

We grew up together in Thorpe and you lived on the Yarmouth Rd, right opposite the old gunboat.  So you really were "the girl next door".  Except we had a river that came between us.  Yes we did cross it many times and by no means always in a boat!  We also grew up together at the NBYC on Wroxham Broad, where there was quite a lot of swimming as well . . . 

Very fond and very happy memories of our teenage years.  I will send a message with my e-mail address.

Don't pay any attention to Old Wussername - he comes from up the Norwich end. Thorpe Narrows . . . 

• Like 6