New Year challenge - famous boatyards and their boats

LizG

This really is a great thread.  I love the pictures of the old woodies, some of them i remember were still in  hire fleets in the 80s. Back then, i always wanted to hire the biggest most modern boat we could afford, and never gave these woodies a second glance. That said, i hired Maffett cruisers Kingfisher for the first time in September 79, and hired it most years till 88.. Now however, to see one on the river looking as immaculate as they can, i look at them and wish i had the money to own one. It makes me appreciate the people who own them and lovingly maintain them.  Well done to you all :clap:clap.

• Like 1

Though not of the same "vintage" style of most woodies, the Ripplecraft "Broadland" boats were all wood. Several still around, but they haven't lasted as long as the design would merit, in my opinion. Very quirky design, and very cramped inside, due to being designed to get under Potter while completely enclosed. If you got rain for two weeks, you came off walking around like an orang-utan!

Falcon2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Regulo said:

Though not of the same "vintage" style of most woodies, the Ripplecraft "Broadland" boats were all wood. Several still around, but they haven't lasted as long as the design would merit, in my opinion. Very quirky design, and very cramped inside, due to being designed to get under Potter while completely enclosed. If you got rain for two weeks, you came off walking around like an orang-utan!

Falcon2.jpg

I remember reading the dimensions and i`m sure they always quoted headroom of well over 6ft?.  I did wonder if it was a misprint

2 hours ago, chameleon said:

thats what happened to you we did wonder

Har Har Har! Yes, I put my round shouldered physique down to the Broadland boats during my formative years. The grazed knuckles came later, when I moved to Basildon!

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I remember reading the dimensions and i`m sure they always quoted headroom of well over 6ft?.  I did wonder if it was a misprint

Yes, 6ft in the main walk-through, and cabins, but the saloon area was a raised floor. If the roof was shut, you either sat down, or bent double. But everyone seated still had a good view out, which was an advantage. In the photo, my mum (in the blue cardi) is standing on the saloon main floor. She was 5'2" tall, so you can get an idea of the headroom available.

You are right about build quality being instrumental in survival rates. Leo Robinsons built two of these, known as a Robinson 33. The first went to Jimmy Toplis and was named Blue Kestrel (a name he resurected for the last boat he built just a few years ago). The second Robinson 33 "Kristi Lou" was somewhat more hurridly put together and, due to shortages of either materials, money, screws or whatever else was the cause, poor old Kristi Lou came with a planked hull above the waterline one side and plywood the other!!

I had always thought Blue Kestrel was Kristi Lou in a later life and now replanked accordingly but Jimmy always said they were two different boats and Kristi Lou didnt last that long!

Never an easy boat to handle but styled very much 'of the time', I believe Blue Kestrel went to the Ouse when she was sold out of fleet.

568b21aac9542_BlueKestrel.jpg.ac6322b3c7

• Like 1

I will see your three Barry and raise you this little lot.

This is 'Crested Crane' the first of possibly as many as 8 aft cockpit cruisers built by Fred Newson. I'm sure Peter will remember them being launched if his bedroom looked out over Newsons slipway!

Crested Crane was just a few days old when these pictures were taken and was being used for a feature in Motor Boat and Yachting magazine. A copy of the pictures were put into an album and went with the boat to Worsley Craft when she was delivered. I have that album here.

So, in 1957 this is what you would have got in a brand new broads cruiser. 1064.thumb.jpg.b8ac758331bc0de8d03520f401065.thumb.jpg.205ea7c6bafb5ddd841e14ac21068.thumb.jpg.b7c94f0256baf21831eb417a81070.thumb.jpg.2bf327d207017231c189f3a061071.thumb.jpg.648736ffd02f334e5bc5b594c1072.thumb.jpg.58e0c15f6d34cd745bb7667e21073.thumb.jpg.36c7c5976c63b470d48bd809f1062.thumb.jpg.3bbc9b295b5898bf95590f0c31063.thumb.jpg.39d04a2e6d72618ed3eb83a10

Anybody want a time machine?

• Like 6

While there have always been some lovely looking boats built for the Broads, I think that from the mid 50s to the mid 60s boatbuiilders had really fine tuned their art; building more modern, lighter looking boats but still keeping the strength of the older models.

The hand bilge pump in JanetAnne's post brings back fond memories, as does the pic with the cabin roof showing just trusses and the roof itself with no insulation; you could really hear the rain hitting the roof at night, something I found very relaxing and sleep inducing.

Roy

• Like 2

The thread has turned into a delightful page of wonderful holiday photos so I thought I would add some of mine.

Some South Rivers photos that one of my brother's took in the early 60s or perhaps earlier scanned from slides? We have in no particular order plus some boats plus some nice hots of holiday makers (my mother, father and brother) in one case it was probably freezing cold as all the early holidays were taken in the Spring :(

Checkmate from Collins of Oulton Broad at Hardley Dyke I think

A Challenger from AD Truman, we hired 34 but I think this one is the bigger one?

Broadland Kittiwake from Ripplecraft one at Langley the others Acle

The Empress as mentioned earlier - photo taken much later

There are not many of Water Rail in the early days after purchase but plenty of our renovation.

Liz

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

13.jpg

challenger34.jpg

S842 1963.jpg

• Like 7

I vividly remember seeing Broadland Kittiwake under construction at Somerleyton. My uncle booked her for the next year, her first season. The smell of the wood in the boatshed stays with me to this day, it almost knocked me backwards! Kittiwake is being restored above Potter at present, and I had the very great pleasure of visiting her a few years ago. Brought good memories of simpler times. 

• Like 2

There are some fabulous old photos being posted on this thread - stop it! You're distracting me from getting any work done on the computer! :naughty:

Many thanks to everyone for sharing them on here. I'm sure that I have a fair few photos on BM of old woodies which are still around. The photos below show the Collins Pleasure Craft cruiser "Patricia" c1963. The first was taken at her home yard in Oulton Broad whilst the second is an interior shot taken during the same holiday. (Both come from a lovely set of photos from the Andrew Day Collection) I was contacted by her current owner a few years ago as she was undergoing a full restoration. I'm not sure if that has now been completed?

Carol

daya63_oulton01.jpg.e00feba4cedd1b35e7a1

daya63_boatinterior.jpg.4e79d9600e6d5791

• Like 5

20 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I will see your three Barry and raise you this little lot.

This is 'Crested Crane' the first of possibly as many as 8 aft cockpit cruisers built by Fred Newson. I'm sure Peter will remember them being launched if his bedroom looked out over Newsons slipway!

Crested Crane was just a few days old when these pictures were taken and was being used for a feature in Motor Boat and Yachting magazine. A copy of the pictures were put into an album and went with the boat to Worsley Craft when she was delivered. I have that album here.

So, in 1957 this is what you would have got in a brand new broads cruiser. 1064.thumb.jpg.b8ac758331bc0de8d03520f401065.thumb.jpg.205ea7c6bafb5ddd841e14ac21068.thumb.jpg.b7c94f0256baf21831eb417a81070.thumb.jpg.2bf327d207017231c189f3a061071.thumb.jpg.648736ffd02f334e5bc5b594c1072.thumb.jpg.58e0c15f6d34cd745bb7667e21073.thumb.jpg.36c7c5976c63b470d48bd809f1062.thumb.jpg.3bbc9b295b5898bf95590f0c31063.thumb.jpg.39d04a2e6d72618ed3eb83a10

Anybody want a time machine?

No chocies in those pics? Must be a fad developed later!:naughty:

cheersIain

21 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

No chocies in those pics? Must be a fad developed later!:naughty:

cheersIain

Shouldn't you be out trapping haggis or something? :taunt:

Sadly I was just a drawing on old Herbys desk when Crested Crane was being photographed Iain or there wouldn't have been flowers on the table. Was chocolate invented back then?

• Like 1

Hi Barry

Thanks that brings back memories she was a great boat you needed three hands when coming into moor, motor bike style throttle and direct gear

Those days toilets discharged into river and ice box not fridge

collected freezer blocks  on exchange from riverside stores

Ray