Historically Broads - Griffin Family

Looking back at the Wedding Album. I notice they were married at Netherhall Road Methodists Chapel

That brings back many memories of Boys Brigade, in that very chapel on Wednesday nights, during the 60's

Griffin where do you get all these memory stirrers of old Donny from. Please don't stop.

Also my SIL worked at Crompton Parkinson's 62/64 before they started a family.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2019 at 15:47, NorfolkNog said:

Using a projector and photographing the screen works surprisingly well. The camera attachment looks good too. 

I also use one of these, a Nikon Coolscan. It's an old model which can be picked up cheaply but gives very good results. 

You do need some sort of magnification otherwise the pictures will be very grainy. The ones to avoid IMHO are the small box type scanners which scan the slide direct.  

DSC_1513.JPG

You've just had me look my model up and found one on Ebay £49 (add a zero to that in the late 90's to what I paid) SCSI connection. I've a base station and laptop still on win 98 just to use this scanner.

I've looked round for a modern unit/scanner as my boss wants one but it's a minefield choosing one these days. We want speed but scanning photo's isn't a rush job.

Griff didn't pick a scanner up last year? any reviews?

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if you can see the attached photo, I can't seem to on my own P/C, I seem to have scanned in word doc format when it should have been jpeg.

Anyuroadup for those that can, the photo was taken on Breydon Water, probably in the early eighties.  It would have been our annual week afloat.  Three craft from Brooms.  The photo was taken from Admiral V and shows Admiral V11 then Supreme Commander 1

Griff

Great thread and pics Griff.

Like you I hired Admiral 7 in 1982. Funny thing is we were going to hire Shining Light in 1983 but another couple wanted to come with us so we ended up on a big plastic thing.

Shining Light was 35ft. Can your remember if she was all wood or was she built on a Bourne hull.

Bit of a tale to this one which I remember very well (For a change)

Same boats / year but on Barton Broad.  For all the world it looks like we were rafted up, we weren't :default_icon_e_surprised:

The story started back at Wroxham on the previous day.  We had taken a 'Gin Pennant' along with us (Well, I had. 'Borrowed it off HMS Glasgow - I still have it) We had hoisted it whilst alongside at Wroxham.  Gin pennants can only be hoisted when along side obviously.  Our 'Admiral' (Dad) on his flagship Admiral VII borrowed it to return the favour at some point during the week, knowing full well the rules concerning said pennant.

We sailed for the upper Ant in formation 1 - Line astern.  Passing Irstead Admiral VII hoisted the Gin Pennant whilst underway - Totally against the rules and well he knew it. You can see it in the photo below.   All three craft in those days had huge unwieldy battery powered hand held C.B's we had taken with us so we had comms between us. The broadcast from VII was that it was only staying 'Close up' until the north end of Barton Broad when it would be hauled down.  No doubt the skipper and crew of VII thought that this was great fun - V and SC 1 far from so, despite our protests they 'Had Us' or so they thought

Plan hatched - Switch channel on our two C.B's between V and SC1, we got ready

The clue in the Photo is the look of concentration on Dads face as he was at that very moment helming all three craft at the same time together - Oh yes he was :default_icon_bowdown:

Because - on entering Barton Broad, V and SC1 had crew lounging on deck, we closed in slowly abreast either side of VII.  The command was given.  Fenders down, four crew jumped the small gap, tied up alongside, helms central, engines off and we all boarded VII to enjoy their oh so kind offer of the Gin Pennant being flown close up.  Underway or not, they weren't going to  'See us off' The majority of VII's crew were down below aft and were most surprised to see the rest of us suddenly onboard1254563194_BANBN732.thumb.jpg.52566295e2e640a947f9d20a565a6658.jpg

Once Dad had got the craft nicely settled, Alistair took the helm of VII (He is still with us today on our annual Lads Week) Ten minutes later he shouted below 'I'm running out of Broad' - 'Come about then'  was the reply and he proceeded very slowly to do about three circuits of Barton Broad with all three craft under his command.

We eventually got all crews back on their respective craft, slipped and proceeded to wherever for the night.  Happy days they were back then

Griff

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Bit of a tale to this one which I remember very well (For a change)

Same boats / year but on Barton Broad.  For all the world it looks like we were rafted up, we weren't :default_icon_e_surprised:

The story started back at Wroxham on the previous day.  We had taken a 'Gin Pennant' along with us (Well, I had. 'Borrowed it off HMS Glasgow - I still have it) We had hoisted it whilst alongside at Wroxham.  Gin pennants can only be hoisted when along side obviously.  Our 'Admiral' (Dad) on his flagship Admiral VII borrowed it to return the favour at some point during the week, knowing full well the rules concerning said pennant.

We sailed for the upper Ant in formation 1 - Line astern.  Passing Irstead Admiral VII hoisted the Gin Pennant whilst underway - Totally against the rules and well he knew it. You can see it in the photo below.   All three craft in those days had huge unwieldy battery powered hand held C.B's we had taken with us so we had comms between us. The broadcast from VII was that it was only staying 'Close up' until the north end of Barton Broad when it would be hauled down.  No doubt the skipper and crew of VII thought that this was great fun - V and SC 1 far from so, despite our protests they 'Had Us' or so they thought

Plan hatched - Switch channel on our two C.B's between V and SC1, we got ready

The clue in the Photo is the look of concentration on Dads face as he was at that very moment helming all three craft at the same time together - Oh yes he was :default_icon_bowdown:

Because - on entering Barton Broad, V and SC1 had crew lounging on deck, we closed in slowly abreast either side of VII.  The command was given.  Fenders down, four crew jumped the small gap, tied up alongside, helms central, engines off and we all boarded VII to enjoy their oh so kind offer of the Gin Pennant being flown close up.  Underway or not, they weren't going to  'See us off' The majority of VII's crew were down below aft and were most surprised to see the rest of us suddenly onboard1254563194_BANBN732.thumb.jpg.52566295e2e640a947f9d20a565a6658.jpg

Once Dad had got the craft nicely settled, Alistair took the helm of VII (He is still with us today on our annual Lads Week) Ten minutes later he shouted below 'I'm running out of Broad' - 'Come about then'  was the reply and he proceeded very slowly to do about three circuits of Barton Broad with all three craft under his command.

We eventually got all crews back on their respective craft, slipped and proceeded to wherever for the night.  Happy days they were back then

Griff

Now this is a far better use of your time than all that patio cleaning and gutter maintenance. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Another story behind this one.

Second day out, coming up river from GYA.  All the boats had a dinghy towed astern, one row, one sail, one with an outboard as per the norm every year.  Formation one, line astern.  The Admiral that I was skipper of got too close to the dinghy in front and turtled it.  Fortunately not the one with the outboard.   This resulted in all sorts of paraphernalia floating off down river, it was all recovered with no loss or damage.  However we had to rescue the turtled dinghy, it was merrily drifting off down river now right way up but toppers with river water. 

Our 'Dolly' (Dave) can be seen bailing out,

(We were 'Best Men' for each other. Godparents etc and still see each other today, he used to be one of the owners of 'B.A' before Robin got involved)

Dolly volunteered to jump into scuttled dinghy with large pan in hand.  I was on the helm going astern to catch up with said dinghy.  I got in position, burst ahead on the throttle to steady her up / slow down at the very precise moment Dolly jumped off the Admirals stern.  This resulted in him jumping into the river and missing the dinghy completely.  Oh how we laughed.  He still swears to this day that I did that on purpose - I didn't of course, it was just one of those coincidental hilarious moments

Griff 

BA NBN 735.jpg

• Like 8

Some amazing tales - nothing exciting ever happened to me but it was usually just me and parents.  Older brothers rarely joined us in the Water Rail days although my avatar is looking out of a Brooms Admiral porthole!  I think it was III and varnished.

• Like 2

Back in those days with three craft the crew were around 24 of us as it is today, but it was traditionally in September every year.  With that many of us in attendance year in year out the law of averages would state some memorable situations arising. Only difference then was we sometimes but rarely allowed 'Girlfriends' and the like to attend.  Thankfully put a stop to that nonsense nowadays.  Besides MrsG would be non too chuffed if I started taking girlfriends afloat for a week.

One year our brilliant Admiral (Dad) got an Admiral stuck fast at Salhouse in the days when it was normal practise to run the bow onto the sandy bank with a mudweight aft.  Come the morning we couldn't get her off.  All crew aft, me in the dinghy with outboard flat out, full astern - Nope she wasn't moving.  So all crew off trousers and the like round the the bow, rock / shove / lift with berthing ropes under her.  That did it, off she came.  Thing was he refused to come back in close for us to board so the lot of us had to swim out to her. Now the Rivers back then weren't exactly as hygienic as they are nowadays, never seemed to do us any harm though.

More memories

Griff

• Like 6