Historically Broads - Griffin Family

I remember thinking in the late 60s: how did Powles turn out so many 40ft all wood cruisers (Magna's, Supremes, Victors) so quickly, plus the 30 and 35 footers they were building at the same time.

I didn't know most of them had grp hulls until I first read about Broad Ambition all these years later.

• Like 1

Yesterday I was ordered up into the depth of our loft to source some of our flag collection so we could decorate the outside of our place for todays VE celebrations.  On up-ending the huge sack out came these three!  The 'A' flags are quite large 1400 x 800 and 1400 x 900.  Again, no idea how I came to own them but suspect my late Dad and John Lane MBE.

The Fairey flag - I would have got hold of that one when Fairey Marine presented us with HMS Attacker in about 83

Griff

BA NBN 772.jpg

BA NBN 773.jpg

BA NBN 774.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Ah, Blakes holidays, I remember them. I believe Sandersons were the last hire operator to have the Blakes flag on their boats but no longer since they dropped out of Hoseasons. Those flags are an important reminder of Broads history. 

• Like 1

I could but now I've re-found them I kinda like having them.  Besides they are a bit too big for the Museum to put on display and would no doubt just be stored out of view.  When I get my riverside property with a flagpole in the garden they will come in handy

Griff

• Like 4

I got round to clearing out the admin box I unearthed in the garage.  A lot of tat in there that shouldn't have been in there, some into the recycle bin, some into the shredder, but some nice surprises that need saving or giving away.

VWBA Logs:-   37/2001(x 2),    42/2002,   43/2003,   45/2003,  46/2003,   47/2004,   48/2004,   49/2004,   50/2004,   53/2005,   54/2006,  - Lots more up the loft including the full catalogue listing every boat on the books

Broadcaster 2003 - More up the loft

NBD Catalogue 2007

Martham Boats catalogue 2003 - I'll send this one to Grendel if he doesn't currently have a copy

Broadsheet:-  Feb 2004,  Feb 2005,   Feb 2006,    Nov 2006 - again more up the loft

BroadsBeat  Summer 2005

Anglia Afloat  May / June 2007 (I have all the copies)

Norfolk Afloat  Sept / Oct 2006,  Nov / Dec 2006 (I have all the copies)

Various receipts including an invoice from SOS247 for £5'264:00 - New Beta Marine diesel with extra add on 100amp alternator, gearbox overhaul and discount for the Perkins 4108 - Sounds cheap but that was Dec 06

Documents concerning the commissioning ceremony Sept 2007

All good stuff

Griff

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of hours ago

Meet 'Harry' our third grandson, he is nearing two months old.  He is with his Dad, our Dale, both of them with my Mighty Tiger.  Dale is going off exercising himself and the Mighty Tiger today.  One day down the road Harry will be astride the Mighty Tiger like his Dad and Grandad before him

Griff

BA NBN 800.JPG

• Like 7