I think we have moored on a tip!

Wussername

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/waterside_rubbish_collections_on_broads_set_for_further_cutback_1_4372959

What do you do.

Ask the audience. Phone a friend. 50/50 tip and do runner or keep it on deck.

I have been to a number of holiday destinations in the UK and abroad. I do not think I have ever been to a holiday area which demonstrates so much indifference to the holiday industry  as something so basic as hygiene.

• Like 5

A tourist area that the local authorities and Broads Authority have turned their backs on with regards to basic facilities such as waste disposal and pubic toilets, they all should be ashamed of themselves.

Most of the private owners can save up their rubbish if they are only going out on day trips from their moorings assuming their home mooring provide these facilities.  

We tend to leave the marina and stop out all week unless we have guests or are training people. The people hiring the hire-boats go out for all their week or fortnight, will not be best pleased after spending all of their hard earned money to be in an area with fly tipped litter all over the place. 

Litter is a problem that effect us all and overfull or none existent bins costs more in the long run with heavy bills for clearing up operations by the councils. 

The Broads is a place of beauty everyone needs to help keep it that way.

Regards

Alan  

• Like 5

I wrote this about 4 weeks ago on a Broads related FB group, my opinions have not changed so have simply copied and pasted!!!

"I just find the whole situation ludicrous. In one breath councils and the BA are trying to promote tourism and then in another breath they are trying to turn or allowing the Broads to turn into a giant rubbish dump. It doesn't add up no one on holiday wants to take their rubbish home (what if they came by train?). It's going to be put in the first convenient place ...... And to close all the public conveniences....."

• Like 3

This toxic mixture of Lefties, Liberals and Greens are the idiots who classify paint as a "hazardous waste" and only allow you to dispose of it on special "amnesty days" when the whole of North Norfolk queues for hours to dispose of a part can of brilliant white emulsion at a designated waste disposal site.

More seriously, I have written to North Norfolk District Council  to ask how I, as a private boater with a "home" mooring which has no waste disposal facilities and nowhere to even store rubbish, is supposed to have a week's holiday on my boat. I  eagerly await their response, but suspect that I may be waiting for a very long time.

Grrrrrrrrr

Steve

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

A tourist area that the local authorities and Broads Authority have turned their backs on with regards to basic facilities such as waste disposal and pubic toilets, they all should be ashamed of themselves.

Most of the private owners can save up their rubbish if they are only going out on day trips from their moorings assuming their home mooring provide these facilities.  

We tend to leave the marina and stop out all week unless we have guests or are training people. The people hiring the hire-boats go out for all their week or fortnight, will not be best pleased after spending all of their hard earned money to be in an area with fly tipped litter all over the place. 

Litter is a problem that effect us all and overfull or none existent bins costs more in the long run with heavy bills for clearing up operations by the councils. 

The Broads is a place of beauty everyone needs to help keep it that way.

Regards

Alan  

I don't think that we can in anyway blame the Authority, however we can blame the lack of thought behind the situation. The concept of the BA was to bring relevant local Authorities together for the benefit of the Broads but it hasn't happened as it should. Effectively we have two or more bodies responsible for the Broads and it looks like the county councils are trying to force the BA into taking over their refuse disposal duties.

But where is the money to come from? Perhaps from the tourist industry? Perhaps the hireboat multiplier should be increased? There is an argument that yards etc pay a business rate so why should they pay twice? No easy answer.

43 minutes ago, Dajen said:

Simple, the waste from hire boats is commercial waste, it is the legal responsibility of the hire company to ensure that the waste from their boats is disposed of in a legal way, the hire companies should pay for waste disposal bins to ensure that they meet their legal obligation. 

As for other National Parks, Derbyshire County Council has closed down the majority of their household waste recycling centres, they have removed  waste bins from any number of sites including parks and have even in some places removed dog waste bins. All types of services are being cut by councils to save money due to budget cuts, don't blame the council, blame the Government or even the public who vote in the party that promises to cut taxes, maybe one day we will understand that everything in life has to be paid for.

Dave

It may sound simple to you Dave, but folks do not come on holiday to spend all day searching for bins, a BASIC COMMODITY or should be, for gods are it's now 2016 not the dark ages, or is it?

Three disposal areas is despicable and anti holidaymakers, boatyard waste or not!  Aye and anti privateers too!

cheersIain

• Like 7

The public seem to have accepted and quickly adjusted their shopping habits in regards to plastic carrier bags. We shall have to do the same in regards to OUR litter when on holiday or out boating. Provided suitable bins are provided on board it really can't be that hard to adjust our ways. 

Sorry chaps but this time I strongly feel that the BA should be providing some sort of facility. The BA want control of our tolls, registration, the moorings, planning, development, Thorpe Island, dredging, Breydon water and every other possible facet of our Broads based boating experience. But not rubbish?!!

Now come on here. This rubbish is generated from our usage of the system for which we pay the Broads Authority a substantial fee, each and every one of us. And they cant provide something as simple as refuse management?

I ask because I feel I am seeing less and less in the way of service from BA for my pound of flesh yet the costs of the license are more and more each year.

With her excellent sea keeping qualitles perhaps SOB could be used to transport our rubbish and dump it at sea? Its probably the only job its actually capable of doing well :naughty:

• Like 4

When the BA came along we were in the grip of the great recession of the early 80's. About the first thing they did was to start handing out section 52 agreements like get-out-of-jail cards. As long as you were closing down a boatyard you could build what you liked. But 10 years later, oh dear! No more boatyards and no more service. These yards were the engine room of Broads commerce. 

If you wanted to empty your bins, you went to a boatyard, where you also got free overnight moorings, free water, free toilets and often showers, ice bottles and a repair service. You could even post your mail. And we DID pay commercial rates to the council.

What hire companies that are left are the big ones, with a lot of boats centred on just one yard. That is not the same service structure.

Sorry, but it was the BA's policy to get rid of this infrastructure so now they must make up for it.

• Like 3

Dave

You are correct it is not The Broads Authorities responsibility to deal with waste but it is the responsibility of the Local Authorities to deal with it.

Most of the waste generated from Boats on the Broads is from goods purchased from buisness and shops in the broads area therefore the local authority in that area should deal with it

Most hire yards have waste bins in there yard for which they pay for disposal why then should they pay more also remember they pay additional licensing fees for there craft anyway

Ray

• Like 3

May I try and put another slant on this from a purely hirer's perspective, especially IF I were a rookie hirer. Not a clue WHERE to dispose of boat rubbish. What would any self respective person do? Correct go to where you would expect bins to be. Take for example at Stokesby, there is a compound now bereft of bins, the hirer started said holiday at Acle the day before. There is NO boatyard there, but for over 40 years, I personally used that compound. The facility has been removed, but Dave says the boatyards should pay for the service,  at Stokesby too? I think not!

Heads require being knocked  together across ALL Broadland councils etc, and get this mess sorted PDQ!

All bins should be reinstated, so we can holiday in a clean and pleasant land. Well a bloke can dream.:rolleyes:

cheersIain

• Like 5

The cost of waste removal from these sites is a tiny amount from the council's budgets in real terms.

It has already been proven (i am told) that the cost of clearing up fly-tipped rubbish at Potter heigham is greater than emptying the bins. A moron could have predicted this to start with, but our elected officials didn't want to see the obvious. 

So much of the local economy relies on tourism and these councils are making it less and less attractive for tourists. 

I know there are pressures on money; we all have to deal with that (so Westminster tells us (unless you're Vodaphone, Apple, Amazon, Starbucks et al)), but kicking an industry that is so dependent on disposable income is counter-productive. 

• Like 9

Question

Great Yarmouth must be awash with rubbish on the sea front if "all" rubbish bins have gone! 

Well its not that bad, so what is the difference to people on holiday taking the rubbish they produce back to the guest house/ caravan for disposal. I think not it would create one hell of a backlash.

So why are they picking on boaters (an easy target?)

• Like 1

At Potter heigham they have a huge barge that goes up and down the river several times a week collecting bags of rubbish and emptying toilet tanks.  The Boat is called Louise (loo ease).     

I can see our boats all looking similar to Louise with mountains of rubbish sacks on the back of each hire , and private boat.  I cannot see that publicity of this kind is going to attract many holiday makers.

I would like to hear on here from the likes of Clive at Richardsons.    I am sure they provide facilities for the disposal of boat rubbish and Herbert Woods for example, however, who is going to be next to a large organisation every day and rubbish needs to be disposed of every day , especially in hot weather.    We have gone completely backwards this is 2016 not 1816.

When our population starts to get diseases that were common in the 17 hundreds then may be the people in charge will realise what a nonsense all this cutting back of bins is.       Rats and the plague come to mind.

• Like 4

No wonder anything is never completed on time, on budget and free from defaults, we are governed by red tape, elf & Safety  to an extent that it is almost impossible to work.

With regards to bins be they trade or domestic there is no national conformity regarding the colour which is used for the type of rubbish, also in some areas bins have been withdrawn even though the the authorities have not met their quota on recycling.

When we have been on holiday in areas of the country a number of the holiday lets leave exempt bags which any rubbish can be placed, this saves holiday makers the effort and confusion regarding the various bins in operation.

When we were young we were taught to put your litter in a bin or put it in your pocket till you got home, sadly that is not the case these days, there is rubbish everywhere. There are more dog waste bins than litter bins on our estates or parks.

When will the government and local authorities get it into their heads that the majority want and need services. 

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

I am sorry Dave I totally disagree with you.

the Hire companies have a responsibility as trade waste to deal with waste from there yard and by inference left on craft vacated by hirer's waste generated by individuals on craft is not trade waste are you saying people are now trade

Hirer's any way only for a percentage of people who use waste bins what about private boaters fisherman tourists and local,s out for the day 

These sites provide a service to the Public in general not just hirer's of craft they are therefore the local authorities responsibility and as Andy states given the small cost they are extremely good value for money the alternative is waste will be dumped at sites with no bins and the local authority will face even greater cost ib clearing fly tipping

I bet no local authority or BA are brave enough to try a prosecution for disposal of so called trade waste from hire craft in court.

Having run a waste disposal buisness in a previous life I am well aware of the rules

Ray

Ray

• Like 5