Where to leave waste on The Broads?

Boaters

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Robin,

in a bizzare way, i think that`s what is needed, as if EVERYONE was to put rubbish beside bins so that the place becomes an eyesore, local authorities will HAVE to do something to stop it, and the cheapest thing is to provide a regular reliable refuse service.

Finny,

i would disagree with your comment re budget cuts being a reason to stop refuse collection. My ex girlfriend (before Karen and i got together) worked for the Kent education department as a data bod of some sort. Several times a year, she would be off work on so called "team building" excersise. These team building excersises could be anything from an all expenses payed coach trip to the theatre with dinner thrown in, all expenses payed day trips to france, again with food thrown in, she even had a family weekend at Alton towers, though she did have to pay for the food on that one. When i quized her about why they had these "team building excersises", she said it was because they did`nt spend all their annual budget, and had to use the money somehow, or next years budget would be cut by the amount saved on this years budget.  She was`nt very happy when i said it`s immoral wasting public money like that when they should be doing their best to cut unnessecary expenditure.

The simple facts are that a huge amount of tax payers money is being diverted to such things as "team building excersises", rather than being saved, which could pay for the now non existant refuse collection bins and service by many local authorities, such as Norfolk, and now as i`ve recently found out, down here in nearby Christchurch.

Tax is OUR money, and WE the tax paying public should have the last word on what OUR tax money is being spent on.

Calm down Neil, it's bad for the blood pressure!

cheersIain

• Like 1

We are not talking about education we are talking about front line services and there is a big difference when it comes down to budgets .education budgets in the whole are ring fenced and have not seen savage cuts I also have to point out that in the few years of working for local authorities I haven't seen any of what you said above in fact over the last few years of budget cuts its been the good will of many a front line worker to go above and beyond .fear of losing your job is a powerful tool.many Authorities are at the point where man and machine are flat out and my guess is that's why waste facilities of the broads are being taken away .........is it madness ....well yes it is but money is money ..............but only if you have some 

finny

• Like 3

Agree Finny, the cuts have very much changed the culture of local government.

While education has a protection even that that is against a background of cuts to the central services; the DFE is much smaller and many local education authorities have dwindled to almost vanishing point. The good part of this is that the money goes more directly into schools, for the pupils.

My problem with the whole waste issue is that it is a cynical, I think, attempt to make boatyards and private mooring owners pick up the whole tab and doesn't reflect on the need to provide services at popular moorings that are not boatyard linked; nor does it reflect on the travelling nature of a blooming boat ; we do actually move from place to place!

• Like 2

I agree Pauline .although boatyards will have a waste cost factor built into mooring fees , free public standing containers or bulk bins can be a real pain I have had to remove a few myself - it doesn't take long before they get abused for the purpose they are intended.an example I can give was of a paint and decorating chap who abused this public facility with waste that  was trade and needed to disposed of correctly hiding half empty tins of paint under general waste - the clean up cost to the vehicle and the public highway was enormous that had to be picked up out of " our taxes " not to mention the loss of operational cost that also had to come out of " our taxes " 

the money isn't there anymore 

finny

On 19/02/2016 at 11:15 PM, BroadScot said:

Calm down Neil, it's bad for the blood pressure!

cheersIain

Sorry Ian, i obviously did`nt phrase that very well. I was`nt getting uptight when i posted it, it`s just a distant memory now.

Finny, the scenario is exactly the same, education or frontline services. A lot of us complain (and rightly so) when the BA divert monies from the navigation fund to cover various forms of beaurocracy etc, so why can`t other authorities divert SAVINGS obtained from civil service luxuries (and YES, team building excersises, TWINNING representation visits etc etc, ARE luxuries)  into the very frontline services they admit we need, but are only too keen to cut when budgets are squeezed.  The public are always being told to "live withing their means". something i entirely agree with, so why can`t authority act on behalf of US taxpayers and bring to an end these publically funded back door luxuries.

And some people wonder why i have little respect and faith in publically funded authority?.

PS, i`m not getting stressed writing that either cheersbar.

• Like 1

Are these the only rubbish disposal sites available to private boaters:

Southern Broads:

Beccles Yacht Station

Somerleyton

Loddon Staithe

Bramerton (Broads Authority moorings)

Rockland Staithe

Oulton Yacht Station

Northern Broads:

Irstead Staithe

Neatishead

Hoveton (Wroxham) (Broads Authority moorings between road and railway bridges)

Roy

Neil that would be what I call common sense......unfortunately councils don't seem to have it . Any thing and every thing has to to be put before board which is usually top management and the elected officials  who give all the orders and commands as to how and where the budgets are applied. Complaining to the council department is not really much use in cases like this ( hands tied ) my advice is to give to the Elected official who ordered the cuts in the first place 

just my thoughts 

finny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

Are these the only rubbish disposal sites available to private boaters:

Southern Broads:

Beccles Yacht Station

Somerleyton

Loddon Staithe

Bramerton (Broads Authority moorings)

Rockland Staithe

Oulton Yacht Station

Northern Broads:

Irstead Staithe

Neatishead

Hoveton (Wroxham) (Broads Authority moorings between road and railway bridges)

Roy

I would add Norwich Yacht Station , Roy, I think to the South Broads.

cheersIain

Thanks Iain. The Broads Authority website does mention Norwich Yacht Station, Yarmouth Yacht Station and Reedham Quay.

I was wondering if this was up to date as last autumn the large bin at Reedham Quay was missing. I suppose it may have been taken away for emptying.

Roy

There is are two sites I am confused about.

Broadland.gov.uk website states from April 15 they will be supplying facilities at Reedham Quay and Coltishall Common but neither of these are mentioned on the Broads Authorities' Navigation Commitee's report of December 10th 2015, Agenda Item number 11, which only shows those that Broadland Council are removing.

Roy

N

• 2 weeks later...

If the rubbish has been building up whilst we have been on the broads we just moor up at a pub have lunch and a few drinks and then speak to the landlord who 95% of the times we have done this has let us use the kitchen bins usually at the rear of the chosen inn 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Horning, where it seems there might have been an outbreak of common sense. I hope this is not a false dawn, but I heard that there has been a reprieve for the bins, there at least, until October "in order to give time for consideration of alternative arrangements". 

Information is sketchy, but this sounds hopeful. Keeping fingers crossed that something can be worked out.

cheers

Steve

Neatishead has a good collection point. Rubbish and recycling. 

What annoys me and will impact on future collections is it clearly states do not bag recycling and some idiot has put a bag of normal rubbish in the recycling. 

I have heard this contaminates the recycling and the whole lot has to go to landfill! Bloody mad and when will these idiots learn. 

Just heard on the radio  ,tourist report expecting a good Easter ,Saying come to Norfok ! Ranworth Saturday many people ,walkers,visitors and a Staithe full of boats.One domestic size wheely bin ,full mid afternoon ! Surely a trade size bin at least,would help .Ranworth must be up there as a sightseeing destination for boaters ,visitors to the Nature reserve,etc surely we can do better than that to provide the most basic disposal facility ? From Skip to domestic bin ,where is the logic  in that ?two guns

• Like 4

Last weekend on the A11 I noticed one layby that ELEVEN wheelie bins , ah I thought common sense has prevailed......... except for the fact that they were all overflowing with mounds of rubbish scattered around them obviously paying homage to the waste gods.........I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

I have just witnessed the most blatant abuse of rubbish bins I have ever seen. Was on the car park near the Swan when a lady came down the road with a barrow full of bricks, tiles and wood. Where did she dump it, in the boat refuse bins. I know the local council pay for these bins but they are supposed to be for boat waste. This really is fly tipping. Obviously a local. I hope someone who reads this knows the person concerned as obviously having some work done.

The abuse of the boat waste disposal facility is probably a by-product of North Norfolk District Council's draconian waste disposal policy which  restricts the amount of DIY waste that a householder is allowed to dispose of via the local recycling centres to one 80 litre sack per household per week. 

Ultimately, you get what you vote for.

two guns

Steve

• Like 2