Game Shooting - Documentory

As some of you will know as well as clay shooting I also game shoot during the season.

I am of course very aware that there are those, some within these hallowed walls that are against the ethos of game shooting, this is only to be expected, however some folk have never been educated in the ethos of the sport.

The attached is a documentary film that one of our 'guns' sons did recently for his university degree,during the month of November 2015.  There was a team of four of them.  They took over ten hours footage and have edited it down to 20 odd minutes.  the title of the film is 'Aim of the Game' it was filmed on location at our local game shoot 'Bancroft Farm' of which we are members. You will see amongst others, me and my lad Dale (I had the whiskers for the 'Movember' cancer thing) and of course our Macie dog doing her thing.  For those that have not seen Macie, in the film she is the light coloured Retriever, there is a particular good shot of her carrying a partridge.

Anyroadup, I ask you to sit back and watch the short film with an open mind, you might enjoy it and might learn something too, feedback is welcome

Herewith:-

Also herewith 3 x generations (And our Macie dog) taken today at the same shoot location, (Dale was not shooting today)

Griff

BA_NBN_168.JPG

• Like 7

• 10 months later...

Sigh :-|  Game shooting day today, been looking forward to today for an age, so has Macie dog.  Only thing is it is proper hammering it down here and not forecast to stop til 1100 at the earliest.  That means no doubt we will meet at the hotel for the usual v. expensive breakfast, cancel the day then go home :summertime:

Still on the upside, Macie Dog will remain clean / mud free so no need to rinse and dry her off.  I won't have to clean my gun.  I can grout a floor today that I finished yesterday and start another kitchen wall tiling job.  Also get into Donny for an haircut jobby.  We have just installed a new TV at home, one of the quantom dot ultra hd things (Got to learn how to use the bloomin thing) so will have film night this evening - Independence Resurgence.   Tomorrow will be clay shooting and out for Sunday dinner somewhere with my beloved  :kiss   Bring it on

Griff

• Like 1

'All good things come to those that wait' as the saying goes

This afternoon (Having spent the forenoon clay shooting) I drove to a village to do a tiling estimate (Another floor with HUGE porcelain tiles yet again) the village by coincidence is the same village where my 'Local' gunsmiths is that I regularly purchase cartridges from.  So on completion of said estimate I thought I'd pop into gunsmiths for some cartridges and see if any 2nd hand s k e e t  guns have come in.  YES :party: A 'Rottweil' 12g s k e e t  gun, 26 & 3/4" barrels O/U single trigger auto eject dedicated fixed chokes, stock length/reach is spot on for me  -  Perfect.  The gun is immaculate and has been sat in a cabinet for the last 30 odd years unused.  Deposit paid, it should be mine in a fortnight ready for our next clay shoot - a 'Happy Griff'  And what's even better is that our Saturday game shoot we missed yesterday due to it being rained off is now on for this Tuesday.  My Tuesday customer has been very kind allowing me to not be there on said Tuesday as long as I finish the job on time.  I have informed Macie Dog and she is well chuffed too.  Bring it on

Griff

• Like 3

Lucky S*d! 

I have had to sell all my days, onwards, this year due to wife's illness which has now entered the advance palliative stage.

I have not seen our boat at Stalham for about five weeks all be it just twenty minutes away at most.  

How fortunes can change in just a few months.

ChrisB - don't know what to say really. Don't think I'm lucky but think you and your good lady are very unlucky.  I send you both my best wishes all the same.

Today's game shooting went very well. 8 x guns in attendance, bag was 57, we had to calm it down otherwise it would have been well over a hundred.  My personal score was 6 x pheasant and 2 x partridge.  Only 6 dedicated retrieving dogs with us today so Macie dog was somewhat busy all day.  Since getting her home, rinsed, brushed and tea, she is now of course sleeping for Yorkshire as per the norm

Griff

BA NBN 292.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yes. Tomorrow beckons with another full day out in the field game shooting with ones Macie dog at ones heel and good friends as company.  I should have been Clay shooting on Sunday with my new s k e e t gun but got talked into tiling a floor.  Well that is to say the client was pleading with me to do the job this Sunday.  I hit him with a Sunday surcharge hoping to put him off but he went for it so now I am duty bound to go and tile his office floor - Not chuffed :cry:

Griff

That was a great day out.  After the usual 4 star breakfast in a local hotel, off to the farm.  By the time we sat down for dinner and counting up, my tally was  17 x cartridges for 9 birds and I had two blank drives, That is my best day to date.  Macie dog and my boys terrier Lexie are now sleeping for Britain as per the norm

Griff

BA NBN 294.JPG

• Like 2

Because the birds were so immature two days were lost in October. Therefore our shoot is shooting every Saturday in January.

My best friend for 50 years and wife of 45+ lost her battle with cancer on the 23rd November, very kindly two friends have given up their days in January to allow me to shoot. But firstly I need to get myself fit, having spent 97 days in the NNUH sat on my backside with Judith my fitness level has gone right down and shooting on the Chiltern Escarpment takes no prisoners.

Today I pulled on the Chameau boots and walked across wet fields from our home in Knapton to Bacton via Edingthorpe. I was tied with a big "K" but I will get there. As for the boat! Think that it is now a case of getting the yard to refurb in spring, We have always done the jobs ourselves but after 16 months of neglect the job is a bit beyond me, I think I shall throw some money at the problem and hope it goes away.

• Like 7

On 12/10/2016 at 3:56 PM, TheQ said:

Someone's been out shooting all day at the shoot half a mile away, I wonder why so many pheasants are hiding in my garden...

Corn soaked in gin tends to slow them down to a point of not being able to achieve lift-off from out of your garden. You won't need to chew the meat to avoid swallowing shot either ;).

I know it's awkward for people not knowing what to say and I don't mean to intrude on your grief ChrisB, I would just like to say how very sorry I am for your loss, I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through

I can only hope that your Christmas will be filled with memories of the happy times you had together in all those years, please accept my heartfelt condolences

All the very best to you and your family

Grace

• Like 12

What a lovely thing to say, JM, thank you :kiss

Nothing wrong with a kind word much nicer than a harsh one. I think that no words can ease the grief but nice to know that although 'only' on line there are people that care, friends we haven't met yet

My family and me have been through the mill a bit lately and some of the kindest words I received were from people on this very forum, we have one hell of a community going here and some smashing people (friends) as members, I feel honoured to be a member

Grace

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Great video very well put together. Iam also in a small walk one stand one syndicate shooting, like you say it's the whole day experience. I also do some beating and picking up at other places, my sons been coming with me since he was 5 and loves it, especially if he wins the sweep stake.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3