Game Shooting - Documentory

It sounds like it was a really good day. Actually your costs that you mentioned are very reasonable for a good Partridge day. The more so as Partridge shooting is being snapped up due to there being no driven Grouse this season as a consequence of the " Beast from the East " and the dry summer bringing a plague of "Ticks". The loss of a Grouse Season must be devastating some moorland economies.

• Like 1

We did our first duck flight this week with the land owner and a couple of his very good friends, one a lord. We had rebuilt the hides earlier in the summer and been feeding rolled oats for a few weeks. A furious twenty minutes of shooting as the Teal flicked in, but a small bag as having money doesn't mean you can shoot....... Still plenty for next time.

Plenty of bellows from the local stags so the rut must have started, time for some stalking me thinks!

• Like 3

I had a Retriever called Benson, he would "Peg" a bird as soon as look if you were not on his case and he sensed you were not looking. Unusual for the breed he liked a scrap as well. My late wife, Judith used to say she thought he had a bit of Collie in him. In fact she used to say " where's that Golden Collie of yours". He was a shoot dog with no papers so she could have been right. (His paws were a tad dainty as well).

• 5 weeks later...

A memorable day for me yesterday as well.

For a number of reasons I decided to cancel my order for the camo version of the new Winchester SX4 that I placed at the Game Fair and run with a standard composite. It was delivered to my chosen RFD yesterday.

Can't wait for the 17th. Doing the Canadas before changing guns for the normal driven day. It has a 3.5 inch chamber so a lot of bang for your buck.

20181109_080630.thumb.jpg.0f65e554ae4504d20afa3b5cbcafb329.jpg

• Like 2

A memorable day for me yesterday as well.
For a number of reasons I decided to cancel my order for the camo version of the new Winchester SX4 that I placed at the Game Fair and run with a standard composite. It was delivered to my chosen RFD yesterday.
Can't wait for the 17th. Doing the Canadas before changing guns for the normal driven day. It has a 3.5 inch chamber so a lot of bang for your buck.

20181109_080630.thumb.jpg.0f65e554ae4504d20afa3b5cbcafb329.jpg

I have a beretta 3.5 inch for geese you also spend a lot of bucks per bang with 3.5 inch shells.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At LAST or FINALLY.

The first Wednesday of every calender month our group attends a clay shoot just outside Bawtry, followed by a dinner in a local pub on t way home.  It should have been last Wednesday but due to the rain it was postponed till this evening.  At this time of year we are shooting painted clays under big floodlights. There are somewhere between 5 - 10 guns in 'Our' group on these gatherings, it's a 50 bird clay shoot, all sporting birds layout changed slightly so never the same month to month.  To date I have never achieved the much sought after allocade of  'Top Gun'  been 2nd or third on plenty of times.  Tonight for the first time ever however I won outright, 'Top Gun' at last - All good things come to those that wait.  Well chuffed.  You watch, next time out will bring me crashing back to earth.  As the saying goes ' After the Lord Mayors show - Follows the sh1t cart'

Griff

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Sh1t cart did indeed arrive albeit somewhat belatedly.

I had a game shoot day on the 27th and was acknowledged with the highest bird of the day - Pigeon.  Next outing was the morning of the 29th to a rather posh clay shooting venue close to home Park Lodge, E Cowick.  This was the gathering of our 'Game Guns. as was to be a 100 bird sporting discipline by four man teams.  Two rounds per team,  six teams entered.  'Griffs Growlers' only went and won the team event! - Oh yes we did, 153 out of a possible 200 - Proper Chuffed.

Then the morning of the 31st and our regular once a month clay shoot at Bawtry, this was a one off job, 75 clays each, out of our team of six where did I come? - Fifth! - Yah Boo Sucks.

Sigh, Roll on my local clay shoot at Wroot this coming Sunday then.

Prior to that however tomorrow I am out all day on a 150 bird game shoot.  Way way above my pay scale is a 150 bird day.   I dread to think of the cost of this one, probably around the £1'200 mark for the day.  For me however other than the beaters fee, keepers tip and cartridges it's a freebie organised by my Lad, proper grateful again

Griff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today was my last game shoot of the season, and on a school day too.  Our local shoot of which I am one of the syndicate guns so this one affordable.  Not a huge bag but the day was really good.  Expensive Breakfast at the Mount Pleasant hotel.  Then out for the day.  It was proper cold with ice crunching underfoot.  Macie did her thing as she does.  I bagged three pheasant and four french partridge (We like shooting the french!) we never shoot English partridge.  A great day out with mates.  Now to concentrate on the clay shooting with some big fun team events coming up throughout the year

Griff

BA NBN 495.JPG

BA NBN 496.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Crazy, NE - All the gear and no idea

Ban pigeon control = no longer worth growing Rape = The Bee population suffers

You couldn’t make it up. I take it NE have taken this into account?  Or are they just using this exercise to cash in on issuing pest control licenses? Increasing production costs - Great move NE - Richard Craniums

Griff

• Like 2

I want to know where and who this legal challenge has come from.

Maybe Wildfuzz could throw some light on this? It is the Wildlife Officers who will have to Police it. Good luck to them.

one presumes that in the absence of general licences, that for each case a specific licence would need to be enacted, I guess the question is do NE have the staff to issue these licences in a timely fashion to avoid problems