Game Shooting - Documentory

45 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

In truth I will never make a good clay shot, just can't read them like the dedicated guys but I can more than hold my own in the field.

Just like my father. He was an excellent game shot but he never shot clays to "get his eye in" as he felt it was not the same thing.

A clay comes out of the trap at high speed and then slows down, but a partridge takes off out of the sugar beet and then accelerates rapidly!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

THERE IS NOW A STATE OF WAR.

The unmentionable when afloat, that are furry, fluffy tailed and big eared have dug up my lawn.

I shall be on night patrol prior to bed and again before light in the morning. With my trusty single •410. If they show in the day it will have to be my BSA gas ram Lightening as I have walkers on my foot path, hardy see one normally but with everyone home! But I doubt they will come out in daylight as they normally do because so many dogs are being walked.

20200408_143006.thumb.jpg.4471ffde50bb48bce0e7b32c59e6bcb3.jpg

The above, a Turkish Yildiz weighs only 1.5KG or about 3lb 4oz which makes it easy to shoot with one hand whilst holding my Maglite D4 LED torch in the other.

I normally put a garden rabbit over the hedge for the fox but given our present state if I get one clean of myxomatosis It will be headed for the pot.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

You sure it's not a badger, digging up the lawn?

Are you after the furry thing, or the walkers?

No I get Badgers but this digging is accompanied by rabbit pellets. 

I had a stump left from a tree I felled some years back, it was starting to rot and had ants and other insects in it. The badger ripped it to bits to get at them. Some powerful claws they have. 

• Like 1

No they are OK. I just hope that families are making something of this enforced time together. It is a once in a lifetime chance to make someting from a pretty grim situation. As I say nobody used this stretch much but it peoples only chance of daily fresh air.

• Like 1

Just taken a walk with my gun outside to see if I can spot any early ones.

Turned really cold here on the coast and a typical Norfolk Haar or Fret is rolling in.

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Oops, said the Bu#ny word.

Many years ago the Felixstowe - Zeebrugge ferries were unable to sail for 24 hours when a suit thought it would be good to have huge Duracell battery display in Duty Free complete with a 5' high cut out furry chicken. Cue walk off by most of the crew. As the Customs boarding Officer I was tasked with removing said item and certifying it destroyed before sailings could start again! Somewhere there's a snap of me striding down the quay with it under my arm. Oh how we laughed, luckily our management were mostly ex RN and 'got' it

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I I I am leaving it to Purdey my garden gnome this evening. But if I am up early I will be out ( which I always am )

I started reading that and thought to my self. Most people won't take a Purdey into a slightly cool room.

• Like 1

Yes, you are correct along with a Boss or Holland and Holland. Way beyond my means.

Before I was born my father worked in Kenya after the war as a Civil Engineer. He had a •450 Nitro Express Holland & Holland double rifle, a •350 Rigby bolt action and a Charles Lancaster 12 Bore. All were sold prior to returning to the UK in early 1949. I was born some months later and have often thought what would have been my destiny had I been born in Kenya. Nearest I have ever been to owning something from a top London Gunmaker.

What is certain is that was then, and now is now so the •450 Nitro Express would see little use as it really only has one purpose, the taking of the Big Five. No longer encouraged, a Hasselblad would be more use, but then why spend tens of thousands when your smart phone does the same job.

10 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Yes, you are correct along with a Boss or Holland and Holland. Way beyond my means.

Before I was born my father worked in Kenya after the war as a Civil Engineer. He had a •450 Nitro Express Holland & Holland double rifle, a •350 Rigby bolt action and a Charles Lancaster 12 Bore. All were sold prior to returning to the UK in early 1949. I was born some months later and have often thought what would have been my destiny had I been born in Kenya. Nearest I have ever been to owning something from a top London Gunmaker.

What is certain is that was then, and now is now so the •450 Nitro Express would see little use as it really only has one purpose, the taking of the Big Five. No longer encouraged, a Hasselblad would be more use, but then why spend tens of thousands when your smart phone does the same job.

Wow

What a collection! that would have been some legacy to have.

The Hasselblad phone argument no sorry don't agree. Hass's are high end large frame, great cameras.

Try blowing up a phone photo to 10 feet x 10 feet and then do the same with a Hass.

You would then see the difference

• Like 1

Perhaps I should explain what is mean't by the Big 5. It does not refer to the five biggest animals but the five that are the most difficult and most dangerous to stalk on foot.

Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Leopard and The Cape Buffalo. It was a term used by the Big Game Hunters between the World Wars but is still used today by the Safari Organisers who's clients do not step out of the 4x4 and shoot only with a camera.

3 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Wow

What a collection! that would have been some legacy to have.

The Hasselblad phone argument no sorry don't agree. Hass's are high end large frame, great cameras.

Try blowing up a phone photo to 10 feet x 10 feet and then do the same with a Hass.

You would then see the difference

Oh so that is what they use to do photographic murals and the like. I stand corrected.

Yes learnt all about Hass's and Rolliflex when I was young. In the outskirts of the village was the holiday cottage of the late great Aubrey Buxton (Think Survival from Anglia TV ). An old family friend getting aged I used to sometimes bike down to hers, with some shopping and help her out doing small jobs, lived on the opposite end of the row of cottages to the Buxtons. 

Visitors during the summer used to be all sorts of wildlife celebs I even got to meet Peter Scott on many occasions. There were always lots of cameras and scopes outside simply just waiting for wildlife to appear. The shots often appearing on Scotts TV programme.

• Like 1

I used to love "Survival" I think it was the Buxton's daughter who was on South Georgia when the Falklands kicked off she was there with a friend doing a Penguin thing.

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I used to love "Survival" I think it was the Buxton's daughter who was on South Georgia when the Falklands kicked off she was there with a friend doing a Penguin thing.

That was Cindy Buxton whose father Lord Buxton, of Kimberley Hall, was the owner of Anglia Television.

She and her friend were in South Georgia when the Argentinians captured it and they went and hid up in the mountains, where they survived for several weeks until the Task Force got there and took the island back.

They had no idea what was going on, but she told the story of how they looked out to sea one morning and there, to the south, was a ship with a red hull, a long way away, coming towards them.  They knew very well that there was only one ship in the South Atlantic with a red hull and that was the Royal Navy's ice patrol ship, HMS Endurance.

So if she was coming back, in broad daylight, they knew they must now be safe.  One of the many touching stories of the Falklands War.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thursday 21st last week and I am cock a hoop.  I got word that 'My' local clay shooting ground was to open at last.  First time since the lockdown back in March.  The owner had been proper busy sorting out social distancing, taping off areas, putting down markers and the like.  The shooting ground was to be open to members only to keep the numbers sensible

Friday - less than 24 x Hrs later and he rang me to say Sunday has to be cancelled. - Gutted or what?

The reason? The peat moors around Thorne are on fire, the fire has got hold of the peat underground.  The fire brigade have commandeered the shooting grounds car park.  Command vehicle (Lorry) satellite link ups, Tenders, Helicopters the whole shebang :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

Griff

BA NBN 797.jpg

• Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again.  This Sunday coming our local clay shooting ground is to be open (Members only).  Finger crossed nowt stops it this time round.  First time since March.  I was gonna really spoil mysen and go on the Mighty Tiger, therefore gettin in two hobbies in one go.  Unfortunately the wx forecast for Sunday is not so good.  It'll be Trevor Transit then.  Bring it on  :default_2gunsfiring_v1:  Can't wait, I normally have four rounds  -  Sporting,  Double Rise,  DTL and *****.  Might have to double up, that'll be 250 cartridges expended then

Griff

• Like 4