Enamel Pin Badges

• 2 years later...

Going off subject a bit. Can anyone recognise this badge that was in a tin of old buttons.

It is silver with dark blue background and has the cross with two Sweeps through it. I have a feeling it could be a rowing club or Watermans association. Never been able to find anything.

sorry about photo quality.20180419_042253.thumb.jpg.2c685846277cdd429b6fcce9369a2578.jpg

• 4 months later...
On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 04:29, ChrisB said:

Going off subject a bit. Can anyone recognise this badge that was in a tin of old buttons.

It is silver with dark blue background and has the cross with two Sweeps through it. I have a feeling it could be a rowing club or Watermans association. Never been able to find anything.

sorry about photo quality.20180419_042253.thumb.jpg.2c685846277cdd429b6fcce9369a2578.jpg

Oars or paddles? Canoe club perhaps?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

This one

scc.png

I recon you have done it FTM. Many Many thanks. Though how it came to be in the family button box that goes back to Victorian times wiil, I fear, forever remain a mystery. Brill detective work by all concerned. Many many thanks.

Been digging around this is their history

The Scottish Canoe Association (Comann Curach na h-Alba in Scots Gaelic) is the governing body for canoeing and kayaking in Scotland.

It covers all branches of the sport from recreational activities to whitewater racing, slalom racing and wildwater racing; flatwater sprint racing and marathon racing; canoe sailing; canoe polo; surf kayaking and canoeing; and extreme racing (including the international event on the Glen Nevis in Lochaber).

It was founded in 1939 by four canoe clubs, the Canoe Section of the Camping Club, Clyde Canoe Club, Forth Canoe Club (1934) and Scottish Youth hostels Canoe Club. The body now has approximately 3,000 individual members, and 90 affiliated clubs and associate organisations.

• Like 2

swap a bees boats for my broken Moores?

I can't buy them these days as people have gone a bit  stupid but always happy for swaps, problem is everyone has the same ones!

I also like builders plaques obviously some are worth more than others 

thumbnail_IMG_1496.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Maybe it is sought after because of Alan Darby who was a leading driver/designer/ builder of Hydroplanes after the war and in the early 50s.

There again it may be rarity value.

I noticed that one too! Someone has also listed a Powles badge this week with a £150 buy it now price. Seriously?

A few of the less common ones have been fetching silly money in the last couple of years, £100 plus, but you only need two completist collectors bidding to do that. In my experience, wait until another comes up for auction. Once those completists have their badges the auction price comes down to a sensible level .... there will always be some chancers who have seen the odd few sell for daft money and think theirs must be worth the same mind you!

I've built up quite a nice little collection via eBay and never paid more than £8 - £12 each. Powles ones are extremely common so I'd be very surprised if that one sells. There is a slightly later Powles badge on there too at the moment for about £10 or £12. It is also worth searching online as I've seen dealers with their own websites selling them at fairly reasonable prices. 

Carol

• Like 1