Norfolk Broads family holiday 1962 film

AdnamsGirl

Liz, that location has been puzzling me too. I'm not even sure which mill is seen just prior to that. It must be River Ant. My guess on the location would have been perhaps moored at Barton Turf and then possibly Neatishead before coming back past Irstead but I'm really not sure. Could be Wayford Bridge I suppose?

I'll have a search through some old photos and see if I can find anything that looks right.

Carol

• Like 1

Looking at the film again, that mill can surely only be Hunsett. It's such a dark section of film but there looks to be a house behind it and the bend in the river would be right. As they are heading upstream from it then maybe the next section of the film was at Wayford Bridge.

Carol

I think this is such a gem – because it is so honest in its portrayal of the holiday and the experiences that were had.

For me there are three things that really stood out – and let us not forget 1962 is certainly not some far away long forgotten time but look how things have changed!

Firstly whenever I have read about Herbert Woods, in my mind I imagine it as a time I would find a perfectly presented yard with perfect boats with their glorious white hulls and varnished timber decks, inside would be cosy and warm with proper china, cotton linen and have a real air of comfort – like that feeling you get of the impossibly perfect image on Christmas cards by an open fire in a small cottage with a cat sleeping on an armchair.

But here we see the reality – a blustery day, with few people about and tears in some of the clear plastic canopy ‘windows’ made me see that life onboard would not be all snug and perfect but drafty and perhaps a little damp feeling at times too. I like how we see the genuine mistakes we can all make – this is real life, not staged or made to look better for the camera. 

Secondly, the entire area looks special – uncluttered, natural and ‘wild’.  It looks like you have come away to a very special area of the Country that is largely unspoilt and has not been messed about with The rivers seems to meander more, have softer banks and frankly like at Turf Fen pump on the River Ant, seem far wider than today.  Notice how they got to Hickling as if it was no big deal too.

Finally, I spotted the lady use something that is very rare these days – yes a bin!  But generally it looked like back then the Norfolk Broads was truly for the boater and wildlife whereas now it is about riverside holiday lets, shopping, private marinas and brokerages with increasingly few moorings for both hire boats and private.  I think the fact is while change is inevitable, perhaps we have gone too far and somehow lost our way with what the area really is about – enjoyable, peaceful holidays.  

• Like 3

When father bought B77 in December 1965, he paid the princely sum of £650!!! And spent the same again+ getting her to a condition where she could be used.  Back in 1965, there was simply a tap off the front water tank, and no hot water on board (nor is there now).  There was a two burner hob and grill and the burner took 30 minutes to boil a kettle.  The leaks in the roof never went away - they have now because she has had a new skin over the roof.

You will see in the footage on their arrival a 'Janet Anne' and that was one of Herbert Woods future  boats, the old boats were on there way out and being discarded.  These holidays especially during the Easter holidays were brutal to be honest but we still kept coming back!

When father bought B77 she had had several seasons of neglect and it was felt she was one of the better ones available.  I can't remember if it was only B77 and B78 in that batch or whether it included the next two........  When my mother died, we found the sale list for all the boats in that session and I haven't found it since.  Boy have I looked in the house at Horning; turned over every bit of paper but strangely it was probably the only thing that has got thrown out :(

Anyway here is a picture of Water Rail taken in the Easter holidays of 1966

Two were retained in the hirefleet and then went to Wards as Sea Shell I & II - does Vaughan remember them at  Thorpe?

Liz

B77 Delight VII 1966 GFT.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I think the fact is while change is inevitable, perhaps we have gone too far and somehow lost our way with what the area really is about – enjoyable, peaceful holidays.  

That's the quote of the year.....  so far!

• Like 3