• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

vaughans posts of memories of thorpe and the broads.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's worth having a look at the history section, now that we have some time on our hands.  There are all sorts of good things hidden away in here! I said yesterday that I would tell some stories

This is an EDP article of July 1968.  The Jenner Group was in its 2nd year of operation at that time. The main photo is taken in the Yard of A.G. Ward & Son, whose premises along with Thorpe

If I may, I would like to thank my mother. It was pretty rare to make colour cine film in those days but she always knew that one day, these would be cherished memories. How she got that final shot of

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

There was a massive  'CB Antenna' on one of the sheds Stalham, i wonder was that part of the Jenners  system or an independent system?

I think that was later and a different system.

The Jenners one was a very early system which required a GPO licence and was the same as that in Police cars. The radio in the office was a simple landline that went to the old Post Office on Prince of Wales Rd, which is now the Anglia TV complex. The signal itself was sent from one of the old Wartime radar masts at Stoke Holy Cross. This meant you got good reception on the southern rivers, but not a great deal if you were north of Wroxham! Exactly the same as the local police radios, which wouldn't work in north Norfolk unless you were on top of a hill. The Vans had a Pye radio in them and they could hear and talk to the controller but could not hear or talk to each other.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...