The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

Whilst not directly on the broads this road will effect everyone who lives on the broads or who comes to the broads. So I started this topic, so that we can let people know where the traffic jams and road works are, while they build it. They claim it will be finished in 2 years!!?

One road I know of is already closed to through traffic is the small lane that passes the eastern end of Norwich airport ( it's actually the northern end of St Faiths road) which joins Quakers lane.

Also on the Norwich to Horstead /Coltishall Rd near the Garden Centre are 30MPH signs and there are markers in the verges showing where the works will be for the Junction / Roundabout there. 

Anyone for 3 or 4 years of chaos?

It will also provide a wonderful opportunity for infill of all the green bits in between. Lots more lovely housing estates that all look exactly the same. Wroxham, and all the villages on the south bank of the Bure will become effectively suburbs of Norwich. Of course every cloud has a silver lining and as long as no more bridges are built over the Bure it will protect the villages up here in the NE corner as the only decent crossing is Acle. The road works will be a right pain though for trips into Norwich as the new road cuts across the main roads that radiate from the inner ring road. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

If/when they finish the 'missing section from Taverham to

the A47, it will knock almost 25/30 minutes off our journey

down every 2 weeks 

By the time they finally link up with the A47, you will probably have had several telegrams from the queen/king. :shocked

The NDR will concentrate all the cross country rat runs on to what is a string of roundabouts connected by dual carriageway, and when all the infill land is built on (which the services infrastructure is already at it's limit) the road will be overloaded with traffic.

It is already £30 million over budget, £10 million of which is coming out of the road repair fund.

Sorry, rant over.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Oi,  this was meant for letting people know about the road works that are now beginning to take place, not the much Discussed Cus'd  rights or wrongs of having it built!!!

Sorry, but this is a VERY emotive subject for those of us directly affected. When you find your rural views will disappear under massive housing development your tend to bite at every opportunity. This housing will only happen as a result of the NDR, all the land that will be built on was purchased by speculators nearly as long ago as some sort of northern bypass was first muted.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Still, it will keep all the sat nav companies busy:naughty:

cheers Iain

You talk of Sat Navs , last Saturday we drove to. Horning, the SN took us to the new Postwick section , after going round in a complete circle following the road signs , the poor S N went into what looked like 'lost in the desert' mode. It just couldn't cope. Our SN is a very good one and we had only updated Maps the day before.

Anything that improves the movement of the traffic is good.

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

You talk of Sat Navs , last Saturday we drove to. Horning, the SN took us to the new Postwick section , after going round in a complete circle following the road signs , the poor S N went into what looked like 'lost in the desert' mode. It just couldn't cope. Our SN is a very good one and we had only updated Maps the day before.

Anything that improves the movement of the traffic is good.

Agreed - but this one hasn't, has it ?

• Like 1

Actually, I'm overall in favour of the NDR, for two main reasons:

1. Because it will route lots of traffic around the outside of the city rather than around the notoriously congested ring road, although it would have been much better to have completed the loop, as the gap will be a horrible chore for users and residents alike.

2. Because experience/observation tells me that a lot of the inevitable housing developments will happen INSIDE the new NDR loop and thereby help to protect the green land outside the loop.  Of course it won't stop it altogether and the new housing south of Wroxham is horrible sprawl and I don't like it one bit, but I believe the NDR will act as a slow-down on some of it for a while.

We all complain about all the new housing developments but they all seem to sell quite quickly so there's obviously a demand.  If we old farts don't like it, why do we coo and gurgle over each new grandchild? If we all slowed down the breeding a bit, we wouldn't have such a lot of pressure to build ever more structures.

Side-thought: Anybody else getting fed up with all new developments looking like each other (rather like in-town shopping malls - which town am I in? they all look the same) and despite most buyers of these new houses having one or two cars there is serious under-provision of anywhere to keep them resulting in most new estates being jam-packed slums of the future with vehicles abandoned across footpaths and poor access for emergency vehicles and prams/wheelchairs/mobility scooters, not to mention just plain ugly - not somewhere I'd want to live, thanks.  

What's the difference between urban sprawl and global warming?  We COULD do something about the first (but don't want to), while the second will happen anyway (we MIGHT just be making it fractionally worse for a while).

Either way it's gonna happen, just like the NDR.

Final thought - if we don't want all these new roads, why don't 1 in 3 of us volunteer to give up our cars????  Nah, didn't think you would.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Saily said:

2. Because experience/observation tells me that a lot of the inevitable housing developments will happen INSIDE the new NDR loop and thereby help to protect the green land outside the loop.  Of course it won't stop it altogether and the new housing south of Wroxham is horrible sprawl and I don't like it one bit, but I believe the NDR will act as a slow-down on some of it for a while.

Final thought - if we don't want all these new roads, why don't 1 in 3 of us volunteer to give up our cars????  Nah, didn't think you would.

Around Rackheath there are large areas of land with outline planning OUTSIDE the NDR.

Don't have a car, don't want the road!

• Like 1