The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

The council are meeting today to discuss opening the A140 Cromer road to Taverham A1067 section of the NDR next Month.

Meanwhile they have announced rebuilding the Sweet Briar Road, Dereham Road , Roundabout  to start shortly.

As mentioned elsewhere the Road outside the Swan Ingham has a closure order until the 2nd of October, I suspect that will be extended and may be replaced by some sort of temporary lights for the next couple of years..

On 19/01/2016 at 09:45, BuffaloBill said:

If/when they finish the 'missing section from Taverham to

the A47, it will knock almost 25/30 minutes off our journey

down every 2 weeks so will save us on fuel costs too.

Get the whip out and hurry them up :default_wink:

They have no plans for this to happen I was told. The clue is in the name "Distributor Road" Not ByPass. It is being built to distribute the commuters to and from the 22000 homes planned along it's route not to provide a Northern Bypass alternative to the Southern A47 Bypass.

5 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

They have no plans for this to happen I was told. The clue is in the name "Distributor Road" Not ByPass. It is being built to distribute the commuters to and from the 22000 homes planned along it's route not to provide a Northern Bypass alternative to the Southern A47 Bypass.

err not quite...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/push-to-complete-missing-link-on-norwich-northern-distributor-road-and-join-it-to-a47-to-west-of-city-1-4600824

Just now, TheQ said:

That was not the original idea at all, personally I hope not as it will only add to the Urbanisation of Norfolk and you will see Wroxham, Salhouse, Woodbastwick and many other small towns, villages and hamlets, Coltishall for instance become suburbs of an ever expanding Norwich. I can see there then being a call to resurect the old Bure Crossing between Wroxham and Horning opening up vast development in northern Broadland.

I can see the NDR being completed around Norwich,  as when the current section opens there will be many who drive to the Taverham end and then turn the small local roads  to the A47 into rat runs.

Also much of the traffic that comes from the north may choose to go round to the A140 Cromer road and then enter the city. Drive down to the old Sweet Briar / A47 Dereham road and head for the A47 that way. I think the council are anticipating this with their redevelopment of the Sweet Briar / Dereham road roundabout.

Being stuck in the traffic jams that occur at the Wroxham / Hoveton Bridge/ Roys Traffic lights, many times a year, I have always wanted a bypass. I doubt bypassing the Bridge will make that much difference to the pressure already on North Norfolk Development.

I really can't see why the NDR shouldn't be completed.

Every county in England seems to luxuriate with Motorways providing reasonable access across the Uk.

I dream of being able to drive on a dual carriageway, even if I am only going round in circles, before I'm too old to drive.

17 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

I really can't see why the NDR shouldn't be completed.

Every county in England seems to luxuriate with Motorways providing reasonable access across the Uk.

I dream of being able to drive on a dual carriageway, even if I am only going round in circles, before I'm too old to drive.

try the M25 sometime - sorry you said drive, not park

• Like 1

As usual I do not wish to cause some heated debate but let me say this: I was brought up in Chorley Wood that straddles Bucks and Herts. In the 50s 60s and 70s it was a wonderful rural area all be it connected to london by the Metropolitan line. In the 80s the M25 cut through between Chorley Wood and Rickmandworth and changed the area to what is really a Greater London Suburb. For most of my married life I lived high on top of The Chilterns at Bledlow Ridge. Again it was wonderfully rural until the M40 was pushed through from High Wycome to Birmingham. With it came development, Thame to name one small town change completely.

I am not saying that we did not need these roads but Nothing and I mean Nothing changes an area like high speed conecting roads and the danger with an area like Norfolk is you change forever what visitors come to the area to enjoy.

• Like 1

I love the wildness of the Pennine moors, the timeless certainty of the moorland farm/ homestead. Except for the wind, the call of the Red Grouse and in summer the haunting call of the Curlew, to walk free through the purple heather in approaching Autumn.

But M62!35191AA400000578-3633580-image-a-1_1465495565771.jpg.af5a626eb839b8bd82b9c76e872be4a1.jpg

thats ten miles from where I lived for twenty years. That motorway cost three times the standard cost per mile. The farmer in the picture refused to sell up and has been provided with access under the roads for his sheep. My dad helped on the project and they used rafts for the plant vehicles cos if they didnt they disappeard out of site into the peat. Gets closed regularly in the winter time due to winds snow ice etc. Its incredibly exposed although the wallabies there seemed to do quite well until a very cold winter decimated them a while back. You wlk half a mile either side off that road and in the winter with fog and snnow and very low temperatures you could easily get lost walk round in circles and die. Spent my childhood there.

Saddleworth mooor which is also very close is famous for other things from my childhood.

36 minutes ago, Malanka said:

The farmer in the picture refused to sell up and has been provided with access under the roads for his sheep.

this appears to be a myth/legend martin ,a documentary produced in 1983 states " A geological fault beneath the farmhouse meant it was more practical for engineers to leave it rather than blast through and destroy it "

compulsory purchase would have bought it if neccessary

Hi Tim,

The reason was landslips they couldn't build the eastbound carriageway as high as the westbound carriageway and it was famous at the time, they did originally want to buy it but it was easier just to separate the roads due to the landslips and go round. Economics and geology. 

This of course was all discovered when they actually got to the point of building it, so the idea that it was planned due to geology kind of falls over at that point. The original plan was straight down the middle and all houses / farms were subject to compulsory purchase (very controversial at the time). The farm is a tennanted farm and the resistance was real however unnecessary at the end of the day. Consider how would it look if they bought it knocked it down and still had to deviate. Far easier to say ha we planned that all along we knew all about it and didn't try and buy it. Of course they did ....LOL

If they knew about it they wouldn't have aimed there in the first place. 

BTW Calderdale is beautiful. One of my favourite places in the whole world. I used to spend every moment up there when I could.

We used to use the old road for many years before the motorway was built to go see my nana who lived at the time in Wetherby. Avoiding the inevitable black faced sheep was an extra hazard. We hit one once in fog as it walked down the road and it wrecked the car. 

If you look at the Dam on the route you will see some very stained concrete sections of the dam. This is because the releasing agent used by the manufacturers of the concrete sections was changed to a cheaper one which allowed staining to form. The good ones (at the bottom) used a releasing agent provided by ...... Wait for it. yes you guessed it my Dad. He got me a ride in the huge earth moving machines and the crane that was used to put the sections in place. Was so much fun for a little boy. I was in heaven.

M

• Like 3

Further developments http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/options-for-missing-link-of-norwich-northern-distributor-road-to-be-revealed-1-5207896

I Also note, the Wroxham road roundabout is starting to be formed, it has an interesting slope on it, so you would arrive from the Postwick end going down hill on the roundabout. Could be interesting in the frost and snow....

Just to confirm the closure of Wroxham road in the dip where the NDR is being built is going ahead from 20:00 Friday

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/council-bosses-confirm-closure-of-a1151-wroxham-road-because-of-norwich-northern-distributor-road-work-1-5219259

If you go that way before or after part of the roundabout has been built, so you will be driving in semi-circles...

I also note the road By The Swan at Ingham (near Stalham) is still closed, there was a lorry parked nearby with a big load of road signs this morning, so there may be some changes.

As I suspected at the Swan in Ingham, there have been changes, the road is now open but single lane in any direction with 4 way traffic lights. There is a huge skip outside the sad remains of the pub and accompanying houses. The end house on the corner has has it's chimney and end wall reduced the eaves height instead of chimney height. There are some metal fencing panels protecting the site.

Having now driven round part of the new roundabout on the Wroxham road a couple of times, I am more convinced it's going to be a accident blackspot. It's got sorts of strange slopes on it which will catch people out.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been announced on the radio the A1151 Wroxham road is now open.

Just for added fun at the Cremated Swan pub, In Ingham, the road heading south past the church, will be closed just beyond the church , from the 24th OCT to the 30th OCT inclusive... electricity works?

It was actually open yesterday afternoon - got through just after 3.  All the signs were up, everyone was still turning off down Green Lane and then we saw cars coming along, up the hill, so turned round in Green Lane and went through.........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...