The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

The NDR will be useful for me, especially if the section to the western end is ever completed. Those of us who live north of the 47 and out to the coast, have to drive down to Acle then join the 47 which is a long way round if you're  Heading for Edinburgh..

The main reason for the NDR though is to reduce traffic on the Boundary road  / Mile cross lane / Mousehold lane round to Trowse. This is an increasingly congested route.

I'm already using the Coltishall road to Wroxham road section every day and the section round to the A140 occasionally

Once the Wroham to 47 Section is complete, then traffic to Wroxham will no longer go through the city or  go out to Acle then wind their way through to Repps / Bastwick or wind their way cross country though the Plumsteads.

I do wish it had been built without the roundabouts, you just know at some time in the future, they'll remove more of them at vast expence and disruption.

I knew my post would upset some people but that was not the intention. 

I must just make one thing clear. I AM NOT RACIST. I  mentioned people from other countries merely because of the facts. I have no ingrained opinions about any race and take everyone as I  find them. My beef is with local and central government who make society changing decisions without proper consultation. 

I posted because I believe that the ndr is nothing to do with traffic flow or bypasses.

And yes, I am getting old. That doesn't necessarily mean that I am wrong.

Please do disagree with me if you want to but insults just degrade your argument.

Trolling 

Trolling constitutes one or a series of posts from a user with the deliberate intention of inciting controversy or to cause annoyance or offence to other users.

Racism, Sexism, Ageism, Political and Religious Intolerance 

The NBN's public discussion forum is open-access and is read and used by many thousands of visitors of all ages, nationalities and backgrounds. As such, intolerance of other people's politicsreligious beliefs, culture, IQ, gender, physical or sensory impairments or age is unacceptable. As is knowingly posting false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

• Thanks 2

Labrador, please remember, xenophobia starts at home !!!  (sorry, couldn't resist that)

However, back on topic and given that Vaughan's post was talking about how he saw the end effects of the distributer road I have to admit to agreeing to some of it.

Part of the problem is perhaps the actual title given to this road. A bypass is a very different animal from a distribution road, in fact they are pretty much opposites. A bypass enables people to avoid going through a place where a distribution road is to facilitate greater and easier access to that place.

Yes the development of this road might lead to more housing, but will this housing not help those who are currently priced out of the area by the number of London commuters moving in. The broadland area is now accepted as being within range of London. This is the case whether the roads are improved or not, but it is a vicious circle More people requires better roads. Better roads invites more people. Nowhere in the country is immune to this, it's a sad fact.

There can be no control as to who moves from where to where within the country, and to discuss immigration to this country is contrary to the terms (and spirit) of this forum. We have been asked to not "go there" so I shall not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My apologies to anyone who got the impression that my post was in any way racist. My ancestors were French huguenots who fled persecution and were welcomed in London. I think that I have made it clear that racism doesn't have any influence on my thinking. If anyone felt that it did please accept that they misinterpreted my words.

Having read the post regarding trolling I am happy that I have posted nothing that could be construed as that.

Having made my point I shall retire from this discussion before some individual members go into attack mode.

As far as I am aware the not very hidden agenda of the NDR was for it to allow access to housing developments yet to be built.  Since the upgrade of the A11 Norfolk has had a house building boom and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.  It is now very attractive for Londoners.  I work in construction and although it helps my business I do not like seeing the pace of the countryside being eaten up by huge developments.   I use the NDR regularly and I don't like those 3 lane roundabouts either.

1 hour ago, Minifer said:

I do not like seeing the pace of the countryside being eaten up by huge developments. 

Your obvious typing error is apposite since I am sure you meant the peace of the countryside. But its "pace" over the centuries, is also very important. To quote Gray's Elegy :

"Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife, their sober wishes never sought to stray.

Along the cool sequester'd vale of life, they kept the noiseless tenor of their way".

45 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Your obvious typing error is apposite since I am sure you meant the peace of the countryside. But its "pace" over the centuries, is also very important. To quote Gray's Elegy :

"Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife, their sober wishes never sought to stray.

Along the cool sequester'd vale of life, they kept the noiseless tenor of their way".

No, I did mean pace - the pace of new developments cropping up, not the countryside itself.

But I do live in a rural community where the pace is as you quote.  Sadly looking at the speed of urban creep, I have about 20-30 years before it becomes a suburb of Norwich.

• Like 2

I notice on the roundabout on the corner of the airport runway  several muddy tacks on the roundabout, unusually not straight across, but the tracks indicate that in the bad weather the drivers had the rear end of the car break away and so they drove onto the roundabout...

This morning a black car (polo?) is parked on the Coltishall road NDR round about, the demolished sign indicates that it came from the Norwich direction as did the previous accidents. There must be something about arriving from that direction that is causing problems..

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

I notice on the roundabout on the corner of the airport runway  several muddy tacks on the roundabout, unusually not straight across, but the tracks indicate that in the bad weather the drivers had the rear end of the car break away and so they drove onto the roundabout...

This morning a black car (polo?) is parked on the Coltishall road NDR round about, the demolished sign indicates that it came from the Norwich direction as did the previous accidents. There must be something about arriving from that direction that is causing problems..

Maybe the navigator in the Polo said "go straight at the roundabout"?

I noticed on my way after work it had gone over kerbs of  the raised triangle splitting the entry and exit of the Norwich road. I guess once it did that the driver was a passenger as to what the car was going to do.

My assumption is that   he arrived too fast, hit the kerb and lost it at that point. The car had gone by the time I went home.

On 3/8/2018 at 11:12, Vaughan said:

So I see this as a cynical exercise in property development which is set to destroy the beauty of central Norfolk as I have always known it.

My argument is borne out by an EDP article 2 days ago, about the planning for a vast tract of farmland to be turned into housing, on the Wroxham Rd at Rackheath. Judging by the map, this will be more than 4 times the size of the village of Rackheath its-self. Apparently the builders have now said that they can now only afford for 10% of this housing to be "affordable" against the 30% that they promised in their original application. So I suppose that means they won't be able to afford a village hall, some shops, perhaps even a church, which might turn this huge estate into a human community instead of just a commuter dormitory.

I just keep thinking of that poor little bloke over in Ormesby who can't put up a gazebo in his back garden because "it used to be farmland". They must be joking!

The day will not be long in coming, when a journey from Norwich to Wroxham, by road or by rail, will go the whole way there through an endless vista of little boxes. I wonder how that will fit in with the vision of a National Park??

• Like 1

The day will not be long in coming, when a journey from Norwich to Wroxham, by road or by rail, will go the whole way there through an endless vista of little boxes. I wonder how that will fit in with the vision of a National Park??

It probably wouldn’t be allowed in a National Park
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1