The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

Took a drive from the Penultimate roundabout at the east end and drove all the way west on my way to ringland. Saw a couple of cars which had left the navigation and ploughed into the bank, seemed to be soft aground.

The soke dykes although shallow are a little bit unnerving in the current inclement conditions with snow and ice making the bounds of the lanes extremely murky.

Love the view of the planes especially at the museum. Struggle to see how cyclists will cross at the nearby roundabout once it’s up to expected traffic volumes, I’d be worried about getting stuck in the central reservation without water or a jam sandwich.

The surface is noticeably smoother toward Thorpe Marriott but the roundabouts all seem to have had their share of the off roaders! Nice view of the fir plantation at felthorpe.

My how Norwich has been and continues to be growing.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the A1270 Northern Distributer Route "Broadland Northway". Yep our exalted councilors have decided on a new name for the road " Broadland Northway" this has meant them getting their faces on the EDP and no doubt local television tonight. Along with new signs all along the route declaring its new name, at more expence to us.

It's sickening, it even made a tractor sick yesterday, there are carrots all over the NDR oops "Broadland  Northway" roundabout on the Coltishall road.

• Haha 2

On the Wroxham side of the NDR Wroxham road roundabout, the lane is narrowed as a digger is at work, possibly attempting to return soil back to were it was before the rain.

3 days to go to full opening of what they've built , unless there is more rain caused disruption on the last section.

There are more tracks across the grass / mud at the blocked off Rackheath turning.

There is Temporary metal fencing stopping people doing the same at the closed of Rackheath /  Spixworth rd.

The Coltishall road is still Closed, on the Norwich side of the Rugby ground, but it looks like it should be finished shortly.

and as a minor aside there are workmen busy in the Cremated Swan, some days you get to the traffic lights and they sense you and let you through, other days, you get there and they run through  each way in turn, but not always in the same order...

• Like 1

Well the opening didn't happen on the appointed day, I guess slowed down by rain, Snow, the Beast from the East,  and getting all the councillors photographed for the big We Did..

At The road works at the Wroxham side of the NDR/Wroxham road roundabout they've rebuilt the first few feet of the very minor road to the left and filled in the increasingly deep hollow that was forming in the Wroxham road. So that is clear now.

The Coltishall road appears to be open all the way through, but the white lines are not yet marked, so there will be further disruption.

Someone needs to throw a few ton of grass seed on the Somme like landscape at the A140 junction - the verges at the bottom by the new road itself are sprouting nicely and were obviously done, but as you come off at the airport slip it's still a scene of desolation in the cleared areas.

I have seen teams going along the embankments planting trees and other such horticultural stuff, so I expect grass or other vegetation will happen soon. Although as they seem to have a green agenda, so they may well just leave nature to take it's course rather than plant grass...

As for the title I think the various names could be overtaken by something more appropriate, but probably rude, So I don't think it's worth changing it.

It won't be long before it's fully open, unless they get the western end approved, I think that will be many years before that happens...  Anyway when the current opening happens , at that point it becomes like any other road.

So I was then thinking of starting a new thread probably called "Roadworks 2018" where people can advise others if there is problem accessing the broads by road.

I noticed a team of men removing cones and signs on the way home tonight, although the through road itself is still shut off.  

In actual fact the full opening, will make my journey home worse as the extra traffic will make the bit I need busier. However I welcome it opening, as when I need the A47,  which is fairly often, it will save around 8 miles driving each way. It will reduce traffic through Repps, Billockby and the Acle A47 roundabout. Also reducing traffic on the boundary road round to Trowse.

I guess the traffic will gradually build along the NDR as people find a use for it.

They are going on about the cost at the moment on TV,  but a lot of the extra costs are the hidden extras such as the diversions to Rackheath rd and various cycleways being put in.

Tuesday morning and evenings trip to and from work will be interesting.

All the plants and trees are opening, flowers are appearing everywhere. Tonight the NDR should join them, signs have appeared just before the Wroxham Road roundabout saying "Caution New Road Open", shortly followed by a closed road sign. The numbers of cones have  reduced again...

Thats It folk's the NDR is open I saw several vehicles heading towards Postwick and one coming the other way, as I arrived at the Norwich road roundabout.

One extra hazard is deer, there was a very flattened deer on the NDR between the Wroxham and Coltishall road roundabouts.

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

Thats It folk's the NDR is open I saw several vehicles heading towards Postwick and one coming the other way, as I arrived at the Norwich road roundabout.

One extra hazard is deer, there was a very flattened deer on the NDR between the Wroxham and Coltishall road roundabouts.

Someone needs to inform Google and Bing maps!! :default_norty: It doesn't exist in their world yet!

24 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Someone needs to inform Google and Bing maps!! :default_norty: It doesn't exist in their world yet!

This is what worries me! It sounds as though the Norfolk that I knew will be a whole new place to navigate from now on and we will need up to date maps.

If you use Waze satnav you can report new roads, errors etc. Volunteer map editors then update the map. You can even edit the map yourself if you so desire.
Waze is owned by Google so changes to Waze are soon reflected in Google (and probably sold to other digital map companies).
As a big Apple fan it pains me to say I think Waze is excellent.