The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

In the US they call merging lanes the zipper merge, in Germany most autobahn "on" ramps have such a system, they also always have crossing at the off which doesnt happen on UK motorways.

By crossing I mean on and off the road via the same set of two lanes which means cars on, and cars off, have to cross each others paths.

Bearing in mind you could be merging with a de-restricted autobahn where the car coming down the road could be doing 140 mph or even more. You're supposed to not pass merging lanes in the right lane at such speed but some do.

I used to use the A81 near Bonn every day for years and every day spent at least 70 or 80 km of the 91 km journey well above 160 kph. Was quite fun passing the fuzz as they stuck to the recommended 130kph. I have spent many hours cruising through Germany very safely at well over 160 kph (100mph). It's not until you stop you realise how hard you were concentrating (I hope), looking ahead and not driving off the front edge of the bonnet is an essential skill I unfortunately don't see that much of especially on the A12 in Essex. Serious question, do they have rear view mirrors in cars on the A12?

OK off for another lie down now....

Cow smell has gone as I can't smell it anymore, or I have turned into a cow. 

• Like 1

I hope it wasn't you on the A47 acle straight this morning which was closed for eleven hours, two separate accidents an the A47 Acle straight and one on the diversionary route.

One of the accidents on the Acle straight was caused by a cow...  it didn't survive...

Noooo currently in Thöreshaus, Canton of Bern, Switzerland looking at the mountains and smelling like cow poo. 

Oh the mountains. Did I mention, the Eiger, the Jungfrau, Finsteraarhorn (down which all our water flows) via the Aare.  

Glacial melt water is blue by the way, it doesn't look green at all. Most peculiar first time you see it. 

I will get Fiona to post a picture for you. You have the broads I have the Alps.

Now if we put Malanka's text with TheQ's picture we get:

1 hour ago, Malanka said:

We have to put up with this everyday when the sun shines, just can't get away from the damn things, they're everywhere.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

About sums up my feelings in the summer! (Only joking - really!!!).

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 09:24, TheQ said:

I much prefer this... 6 weeks till the 3 Rivers Race3-rivers-race.gif

This is what amazes me about sail boat club, whether singular or out there as a gang, they still take up the whole river.:default_blink:

yandy114486.jpg&key=f0be41bbde82ce96d1bb1f877efe8e14f1ecbffc393eeb3e8213928401b6cb1b
Ah that's better river properly filled...

Looks like Hickling on Sunday.
As long as you ignore the “boats under sail have the right of way” rule it’s no problem at all
I have to say, watching the Hunters boats go past is lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the problems with the road layout at the roundabouts, the left hand lanes are marked left and straight on, you never know what the driver is going to do if you approach from the right.

If there is no problem with the roundabouts, then how come Most of them have tracks across them and damage to the entry  / departure areas. You don't see anywhere near the amount of damage on other roundabouts in the area. 

48 minutes ago, TheQ said:

If there is no problem with the roundabouts, then how come Most of them have tracks across them and damage to the entry  / departure areas. You don't see anywhere near the amount of damage on other roundabouts in the area. 

If the road markings were followed they would quite well as they allow joining traffic to slip into the left hand lane if taking the first exit. The issue is some people follow the markings and expect a direct entry to the first exit, others joining the same exit from the roundabout cross into the same lane.

58 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

If the road markings were followed they would quite well as they allow joining traffic to slip into the left hand lane if taking the first exit. The issue is some people follow the markings and expect a direct entry to the first exit, others joining the same exit from the roundabout cross into the same lane.

I wonder if some of the problem might be the lack of road signage? As ‘foreigners’, we have used the new road a few times now and the first time we just had no idea if we were heading in the right direction. It’s ok if you know you want Norwich east, north or whatever but if you want to head for Salhouse or Wroxham, there don’t seem to be any signs as you come off the A47. There are further on but you’ve probably gone round in circles before then!