The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

1 minute ago, vanessan said:

I wonder if some of the problem might be the lack of road signage? As ‘foreigners’, we have used the new road a few times now and the first time we just had no idea if we were heading in the right direction. It’s ok if you know you want Norwich east, north or whatever but if you want to head for Salhouse or Wroxham, there don’t seem to be any signs as you come off the A47. There are further on but you’ve probably gone round in circles before then!

Plus I doubt the NDR has been updated onto GPS systems that most people rely on when travelling on unfamiliar roads.

Plus I doubt the NDR has been updated onto GPS systems that most people rely on when travelling on unfamiliar roads.

They do? - What's wrong wi the good old MK1  Port and Stbd Lookouts?  Gordon Bennet -  just how did we manage before satnavs became the norm?

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

They do? - What's wrong wi the good old MK1  Port and Stbd Lookouts?  Gordon Bennet -  just how did we manage before satnavs became the norm?

Griff

How did we indeed??

Well I had a thick road atlas to get me to within 20  miles or so, then I'd pull into a petrol station and buy a local street map, after a few years "on the road" I had quite an impressive collection of local street maps.

If that failed I'd use the MkII Gob (in polite mode) and ask directions.

Just now, Philosophical said:

How did we indeed??

Well I had a thick road atlas to get me to within 20  miles or so, then I'd pull into a petrol station and buy a local street map, after a few years "on the road" I had quite an impressive collection of local street maps.

If that failed I'd use the MkII Gob (in polite mode) and ask directions.

this is what I still do, I do have an ancient tom tom satnav, 99% of the time its turned off, I look at the map (either paper or google) memorise the major route - eg M2 - M25- M11- A11- A46, then the last section is either from memory (if I have been before) or I  turn the satnav on to get me to the desired address - though at times I will just print the street map from google. that is not an uncommon accident on roundabouts where people get into the wrong lane and try and continue round in the outside lane, I have had a close shave where I was in exactly the same situation, turning right on a roundabout indicating to turn left onto the outer of a two lane exit, when I noticed the car outside me had started indicating right and was trying to cut across me. fortunately I was alert and always assume every other road user is out to get me and just hit the anchors and let him go.

Unfortunately there are people who will religiously do what the satnav tells them some of whom have driven their cars into a river because it told them to, common sense seems to be lacking there.

• Like 1

As an ex field service Engineer I don't generally need maps at all. I've worked everywhere from Salisbury to the Outer Hebridies travelling the roads many times.

But I do have a navigator on for long journeys, mostly for when there is an accident and you get sent off into the wilds, with no further directions to get you back on route.

Using the NDR at least twice daily, one thing becoming obvious is that a large number of people using it seem to think they automatically have right of way - they are entering roundabouts though and usual rules apply. Frankly fed up with people not stopping as I go to take 3rd exists and have them cut me up. The recent accident on the EDP - IMHO a car going straight over T bones a car already on the roundabout and indicating correctly.

8 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Since arriving in Norfolk 10 days ago I have been searching shops for a map of Norfolk which shows not only the NDR but the other roads which have been closed off in the building of it. Haven't found one yet!

Thas in case we get invaded they wont no where there a goen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Since arriving in Norfolk 10 days ago I have been searching shops for a map of Norfolk which shows not only the NDR but the other roads which have been closed off in the building of it. Haven't found one yet!

Good luck with that one before 2020

Today I drove a section of the NDR outside "my known navigational waters" and I have to agree with an earlier comment: unless;: Norwich, Yarmouth or the Airport are your destination or part of your route, the road signing is appallingly lacking 

34 minutes ago, TheQ said:

It is pretty in places though, they have not seeded the banks, but allowed natural plants to invade, so there are a lot of poppies and other flowers along there at the moment..

A particularly nasty plant has already invaded the NDR, the Trafficus Koni, as is well documented, unlike most plants the preferred habitat of this this particular species is the hard carriageway where it has already managed to block off one lane to traffic for a few miles.

As we know from other roads a prime example being the M25 that once this species has a hold it cannot be eradicated and all too often lead to speed restrictions being put in place. Speed restrictions have be avoided at all costs as they are the perfect environment for another nasty plant the Trafficus Kameris, which has a particularly nasty flash indicating that the contents of your wallet are about to become devoured.    

Depends where you are getting on. If you are coming from the Kings Lynn end, It's a bit of a rat run leaving to go through Costessy and Drayton, You are better coming off the 47 at the B1535 Honningham if you wish to go the Almost whole length of the NDR,  to turn off for the Wroxham junction.

Providing there is not much traffic through Roy's town then the quickest is to stay on the 47 till the Postwick Junction and then just do a short stretch of the NDR till the Wroxham Junction.

If it is Rush hour, I'd go the old route via Acle 47 roundabout.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

A particularly nasty plant has already invaded the NDR, the Trafficus Koni, as is well documented, unlike most plants the preferred habitat of this this particular species is the hard carriageway where it has already managed to block off one lane to traffic for a few miles.

As we know from other roads a prime example being the M25 that once this species has a hold it cannot be eradicated and all too often lead to speed restrictions being put in place. Speed restrictions have be avoided at all costs as they are the perfect environment for another nasty plant the Trafficus Kameris, which has a particularly nasty flash indicating that the contents of your wallet are about to become devoured.    

Flashes are getting rarer, Trafficus Kameris Digitalis does not always require one..

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Flashes are getting rarer, Trafficus Kameris Digitalis does not always require one..

OMG a mutant species!!!

One more mutation and we'll be into "Directus Debitas"

Just talking about dreaded GPS Nav - coming back from Norfolk after the meet I gave the free navigation  App 'Waze' a go.

I has to be one the best sat nav's out there - not only because the directions given seem that but more clean, that they are given well before the turn off for example but it is crowd sourced real time data coming in from other users.

So it is able to work out thing like average speeds from others who use the the App and are in the area, and since it can interact with users someone might have reported the fact there is a police speed trap ahead - so as you approach it warns you and you as well. This began to show is strenghts with road works being reported to be ahead well before the traffic began to slow and any signs were seen.

The only issue I can see with it, is in order to use a lot of the feature like reporting issues along the route, or giving them a thumbs up (confirming they are indeed there) means you'd have to physically tap at the screen though in the general scheme of things this is little different to taking your hand to adjust the heating, or change the radio station

21 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Just talking about dreaded GPS Nav - coming back from Norfolk after the meet I gave the free navigation  App 'Waze' a go.

I has to be one the best sat nav's out there - not only because the directions given seem that but more clean, that they are given well before the turn off for example but it is crowd sourced real time data coming in from other users.

So it is able to work out thing like average speeds from others who use the the App and are in the area, and since it can interact with users someone might have reported the fact there is a police speed trap ahead - so as you approach it warns you and you as well. This began to show is strenghts with road works being reported to be ahead well before the traffic began to slow and any signs were seen.

The only issue I can see with it, is in order to use a lot of the feature like reporting issues along the route, or giving them a thumbs up (confirming they are indeed there) means you'd have to physically tap at the screen though in the general scheme of things this is little different to taking your hand to adjust the heating, or change the radio station

Or using your phone?

We used the NDR from Postwick to the Wroxham exit on our journey to and from the Broads this last week.  My observations are as follows:

1) Going North, the journey seemed straightforward  and quick  compared to our usual trek from the A47 via Blofeld Heath and Salhouse.

2) No sooner is the road built, but bits of it are already coned off - why??????

3) The roundabouts were easy to navigate despite the insertion of additional lanes in them.

4) Drivers in Norfolk need to be re-educated with regard to the use of indicators on roundabouts. We twice observed drivers go 3/4 of the way around roundabouts without troubling their indicator stalks once in the entire manoeuvre. Discourteous and potentially dangerous!

5) Going South, there was a long queue of traffic coming out of Wroxham all the way to the NDR roundabout -  so no time-saving there!

6) The route seemed straightforward and easy to use until we hit the Postwick interchange, at which point we were presented with traffic lights. Although traffic was fairly light at our times of travelling, I can imagine these causing queues and delays when the predicted  housing developments are built and populated.

7) The wild flowers which are already springing up on the verges and embankments looked wonderful this morning.

4 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Google Maps have now added the rest of the A1270 so that should improve things.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Good!!! It's been quite funny the past two weekends...Madam google just couldn't work out why we were driving across some fields.

Tell you something though, if heading south on the new road, that junction where it joins the A47, if you're heading west.(right)

There are 3 lanes going west, (right) only the 2 left hand lanes of the three join the A47, dunno where the extreme right hand lane goes to, damn confusing, expect some tooting and middle finger salutes.

42 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Did not get to try it out last night as we were late leaving home. Nor did I visit Taverham either.  Next time maybe 

Griff

Coming from your direction, it makes getting to the Broads quicker. You just have to take a daft detour via Weston Longville, but Google Maps will sort you out.

It's more of a hassle going back up North.