The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

Is the northern route, Just checked with Tomtom on line and it's 1st time it's give me this option. Normally it's into Acle then Stalham. Still saying 3h 40mins 185mile which is about 5 miles less.

Tomtom did well 2 week ago returning back to Leeds after the cafe's there had been a crash and it sent me right to avoid it and also south bound traffic were using the same route. All well and good but it was inbetween fields the roads where you meet a tractor you lose.

We were driving in the edge passing others and passed 2 large wagons where there front wheel had dropped into the fields. madness.

Don't think I could live away from the motorways i'm five mins from M1/A1 north south and M62 east west.

Tomtom 1.jpg

No that's not the route. I've marked it in red. The missing link to the west is a short detour via Weston Longville.

Google Maps will show you the route, but failing that the orange route will probably be a faster one to Ricko's than the one TomTom has shown you - assuming you're travelling at the weekend.

I'm not a fan of TomTom these days, mine has been in a drawer for about two years.

1789211279_Tomtom1.jpg.a7692eaabe2f7d13e45a0e320e5be328.jpg

There is a piece on |Radio Norfolk about the NDR  and problems with roundabouts  on Now (07:30 30/05/18) .

Also on the Wroxham road  NDR roundabout, one set of signs that had been partly demolished from the Norwich direction, have been finished off from the A47 direction overnight..

Yes it was still there at around 16:00 when I went past on the way home from the big orange shed.

Just before then I nearly got hit myself just before  roundabout the Norwich side of the NDR, a silver car was exiting the roundabout towards Norwich just as a Black range rover exited trying to overtake. Of course with very short merge exits on these roundabouts, 2 into one didn't fit with much blaring of horns the rangie scraped it's expensive alloys on the centre triangle kerbs  then leapt onto it  heading towards me... by me moving over and the rangie brakeing and pulling in behind the silver car we didn't meet but it was close..

A friend suggested why these roundabouts are so poor, he thinks as the road is a distributer road not bypass, they've been designed for low speed 30 mph traffic. Pity they built them like that on a 70mph NDR with normally 50 to 60mph roads crossing it...

It will all sort it's self out in the fullness of time, you will see!

Get those 11000 houses built along it's length and the ave speed down to 12mph as everyone from them commutes and it will be as grid locked as the old orbital. I think your friend may be correct Q.

• Like 1

Waited so long for this and certainly useful for us in North Norfolk ,driven it dozens of times but not comfortable with the roundabouts ? Garmin sat nav shows fields, despite two map updates ? How long do they take to update ?  Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Another set of signposts knocked down on the NDR, the signs in the triangle of the NDR  / Wroxham round about on the city side have been down for some time, now the ones on the Wroxham side have been demolished, large piles of sand absorbing oil on the Triangle where the sump must have been smashed

• 3 weeks later...

It's on Radio Norfolk  again this morning,

In the 7 Months since it has been opened:

The police have been notified of 30 crashes (there were probably more)

20 road signs are currently Down hit by cars,  (some have replaced before)

3 kerbs have been demolished at Junctions (more no doubt have been hit)

As an every day user of the road it works very well for me but for some it would be better with flyovers than roundabouts, this was a new one last week.

It obviously a speed issue leaving it too late to stop 

it seems to be mainly on the main Island near the airport so now named Kamakazi island 

AE9D99FA-63B0-4680-9735-6F917571042C.thumb.jpeg.9c0577de361fe169561fdca4fe34000f.jpeg

I too drive it several times a day. One thing I have noticed is the roundabouts with the greatest number of 'runovers' ( as above ) have a potentially straight approach path to the impact. The roundabout at Rackheath / Sole and Heel has distinct curves on the approach, and no sign of anyone having gone straight on.

As to the inability of people to stay in lane -  if they do, and indicate it works - just, but I must have to take avoiding action at least a couple of times a week to prevent an accident

In norfolk that depends on the council, there was an idiot from the council proudly anouncing more cycling Zebra crossings for Norwich.

Pity the highway code states Zebra crossings are for pedestrians only. Therefore the council is encouraging illegal cycling.

• Like 1

He was probably referring to "Toucan" crossings and reckoned that too few people will have read the later editions of the highway code to know what they were!
Unfortunately they have been fitting zebra crossings for cycling i drive over one every day. If some child comes down the cycle path that leads to it and cycles straight out the motorist has no chance of stopping in time as the cycle path comes out behind a high hedge..

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Unfortunately they have been fitting zebra crossings for cycling i drive over one every day. If some child comes down the cycle path that leads to it and cycles straight out the motorist has no chance of stopping in time as the cycle path comes out behind a high hedge..

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I had that once except it was 3 police cyclists, they cycled straight out in front of me and I stopped with inches to spare as I had already slowed, had I been anywhere near the 30mph linit they would all have been flattened, they did all look a bit sheepish though.