The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I understood that if they are  parked on private property (without the landowners permission) they are illegal and any speeding tickets can be overturned.

I see from research that they are now allowed (from 2015) to hide the van out of sight and can still catch people.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I spotted that one as we were coming home from the boat.

It was easy to spot from a good distance though, so anyone

caught on it wasn't paying attention....... 

If you have spotted him, he has spotted you. His equipment will have recorded your speed before you were able to register his intent. His on board camera will then capture up your number plate and relate that to the laser reading as you pass within the speed limit.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I understood that if they are  parked on private property (without the landowners permission) they are illegal and any speeding tickets can be overturned.

I see from research that they are now allowed (from 2015) to hide the van out of sight and can still catch people.

Yes, tell me about it!   On the way home from the boat at Beccles a few years ago.  I thought it was a 40mph limit and was doing 36mph.   Apparently it had changed without me being aware.  (Did not get up to the boat often enough, thats why we sold it.)

He was hidden behind some trees and could not be seen until 'on top of him' .   Took a speed awareness course and saved the points but still cost me £86, a dear cup of coffee!

One of the features I have come to really enjoy about my car is the speed limiter - of course it is manual and you need to know what the limit is to dial in, but by so doing it will keep the car at that limit (unless on a down hill where it will loudly protest and remind you that you've exceeded the limit).

I have come to discover that 'stand alone' Sat Nav (be it from the manufacture or a separate unit) really are not as good as they may claim to be. Now, granted the BMW Professional System is very good especially in the way it will guide you with voice 'prepare to bear right' and not 'in 200 yards turn right' and when you arrive you find their is no turn off to the right it is just a sharp right hand bend. But the Garmin unit which is as close as makes no odds to £200.00 has shown itself to be unreliable.

It won't have the latest speed limit database, speed cameras (fixed) and route choice all leave it struggling at times. Google Maps on the phone does well - but won't tell you all the information you might need such as what the current speed limit is and how fast you are going, Apple Maps (which i cannot stand usually) actually does a great job as a driving Sat Nav. It seems to pick the most logical route, Garmin will pick the one if thinks will save you 19 seconds and send you off on some wild goose chase down narrow lanes to save 5 seconds instead.

I have tried several other App based Sat Navs too, but I tend to use Waze which seems to be a fair all rounder with routing and unlike a stand alone Sat Nav will be able to navigate to a business, location or name - no postcode needed, no street name etc - tap in Homebase and it will just find the one you are thinking about that is closet.

But the best thing is the other Wazer's which none of the other systems can compete on. I have now become very active and submit Map updates and edits too, but what it enables you to do is alert others to things - a pothole, a car stopped on the hard shoulder or an accident and then even add comments so when you are sat in traffic at a stand still at least you can see if someone ahead has updated the situation with what is actually going on.

The feature however that most Wazer's are keen to share is Police activity. Now of course, all the above is not foolproof and rely on someone a) having Waze on and running b) having been ahead of you on that road and c) bothering to report the presence of the Police to the App. I did this on my recent trip to Yorkshire as a mobile speed camera van 5 cars ahead pulled over into a lay-by with some nice cover - I duly did my thing and any Waze users approaching would be alerted to 'Police Hidden Ahead'.

It has become perhaps a game of Cat and Mouse but I usually get an alert every time I am on the A11 and as a combined bundle it all goes to keeping you in check, both to what the speed limit is, what speed you are really doing and what may be ahead that you don't know.  The NDR really comes to life I have found on Saturday nights when annoying little 1.2L Corsa's and Fiesta's filled with youngun's try to see how quickly they can get between two roundabouts - very different to the North Circular where it is the son's of wealthy Turks in high powered Mercedes and BMW's doing the same just far faster and quieter...

Voice command, once enabled you simple say "OK Waze" and then it wakes up to listen to your commands, be it reporting issues, or searching for a destination. One thing however, Waze uses data all the time it is running - even if it is not in navigation mode and you have it on for road reports etc, it is not a lot but over days and weeks of being used can add up.

6 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Voice command, once enabled you simple say "OK Waze" and then it wakes up to listen to your commands, be it reporting issues, or searching for a destination. One thing however, Waze uses data all the time it is running - even if it is not in navigation mode and you have it on for road reports etc, it is not a lot but over days and weeks of being used can add up.

It even tells you 'Road Kill' as a hazard..... Personally use the shout at it /voice control method and run the app through Sync3 cars 9 inch  inbuilt media screen for clarity of the maps.

In my day it was Triumph Bonnevilles and Norton Commandos that were king of the North Circular.

That is until the best of both worlds....Triton

Norton featherbed frame fitted with a Bonneville power unit mated to a close ratio Norton Manx gearbox.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChrisB said:

In my day it was Triumph Bonnevilles and Norton Commandos that were king of the North Circular.

That is until the best of both worlds....Triton

Norton featherbed frame fitted with a Bonneville power unit mated to a close ratio Norton Manx gearbox.

On that note anybody dropped into the Ace cafe recently? Still pulls a full carpark over the weekends.