The Northern Distributer Road AKA Norwich Northern Bypass

TheQ

Google or FOI if you can’t find it, foreign drivers prosecuted for speeding in Norfolk and Suffolk. Four years ago for cars it was zero. Lorries were different as they got magistrates by the roadside to make it happen but cars , naaa they can’t be bothered. Reason is it costs more than they raise. Road safety my bottom. Head of the RTSL years ago stood up against fixed cameras ( he said awareness worked not prosecutions) and his report was suppressed and he was replaced. Father in law to my friend of 55 years. Go figure huh 

• 1 month later...

When I went to Thetford this morning to pick up a couple of "Slabs" for Summer clay shoots there was a motorcycle in a mess on one of the roundabouts, I think it must have been the Salthouse road one. I hope the rider walked away OK. When I returned it had tape attached. I drove a little slower there and back.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

And at the same roundabout yesterday afternoon, a new set of skid marks from Norwich direction, up over the approach triangle across the bout, and into the curb of the roundabout itself, but not onto the mud or into the signs. they'll now have very square wheels..

2 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

Looks like a car had rolled on the stretch between Wroxham road and Salhouse road this morning. Lots of skid marks and a very bent roof. 

I think the only realistic answer for the NDR is average speed cameras, particularly around the eastern section.

I really have no idea how people get it so wrong, but they do, regularly.

Not sure that average speed cameras would work as you would have to set the limit quite low given that (most) people slow down for the roundabouts - think you would be hard pushed to average 50??

They could take the ones down on the A149 as I don't think they were ever switched on!

4 minutes ago, marshman said:

Not sure that average speed cameras would work as you would have to set the limit quite low given that (most) people slow down for the roundabouts - think you would be hard pushed to average 50??

I would think there's a formula, and actually just the presence of them would be a deterrent, surely? The car I personally saw lose it at one of the roundabouts was going way over the speed limit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I think the only realistic answer for the NDR is average speed cameras, particularly around the eastern section.

I really have no idea how people get it so wrong, but they do, regularly.

The car in question was a small hatchback Peugeot.... Laying alongside it was great big deer ...sadly the deer ran across the NDR and was clipped by the car hence the smashed front end / bonnet and roof as the deer ended up on top of it.

8 hours ago, sidestand said:

The car in question was a small hatchback Peugeot.... Laying alongside it was great big deer ...sadly the deer ran across the NDR and was clipped by the car hence the smashed front end / bonnet and roof as the deer ended up on top of it.

Wasn’t Richard Hammond by any chance ? 

I don't understand all the constant clamour or  call for cameras etc every time there is an accident on this particular road, there are probably far more accidents per mile on the A47 and A149 etc without all the fuss, those on the NDR are purely bad driving I havn`t heard of any HGVs or large commercial vehicles involved but I do see far to much sub standard driving in Norfolk considering the size of the population, but then people go to Norfolk for their test when they can`t pass elsewhere.

Fred

you ought to try the M25, accidents are a daily occurrence, usually several a day somewhere around the M25.

I believe the general standard of driving has dropped, its either that or some drivers just have a dont care attitude towards other drivers and assume that everyone will get out of their way while they do what they want, then are surprised when someone doesnt - or cant, or road conditions dictate that they should slow down, but rules dont apply to them.

of course some laws always apply- the laws of physics and the law of gravity.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sidestand said:

Wasn’t Richard Hammond by any chance ? 

• Haha 1

Ref turning off cameras A149 the average speed cameras between Potter and Wayford are definitely active. I got 3pts a number of years ago. In the 60 limit doing 56. Yep in my van before I became aware the limits for vans was changed oh so quietly. That one rankled for an age

Griff

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Ref turning off cameras A149 the average speed cameras between Potter and Wayford are definitely active. I got 3pts a number of years ago. In the 60 limit doing 56. Yep in my van before I became aware the limits for vans was changed oh so quietly. That one rankled for an age

Griff

How could they punish you for doing 56 in a 60 limit.      I know the world has gone nuts but this is silly.   What difference does it make what vehicle you are driving ,  providing you dont do above the speed limit.   Lost me....

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I believe the general standard of driving has dropped, its either that or some drivers just have a dont care attitude towards other drivers and assume that everyone will get out of their way while they do what they want, then are surprised when someone doesnt - or cant, or road conditions dictate that they should slow down, but rules dont apply to them.

Yup. Also the number of people that buy cars which don't appear to be fitted with indicators.

Self-driving tech is getting better and you can see realistically that at some point in the future (I'm not talking just yet) people will be banned from driving cars because while machines can and will get it wrong, humans are much worse.

11 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

If only there was some sort of UK Government website instead....

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

That is all well and good but when it uses the word "may" as in may qualify and many people wrongly believe that their van is car derived because schedule 6 say`s a lot without helping at all it is there in black and white on the logbook.

21 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

Having been cut up once too often at the weekend on the NDR ( it was also the V sign out the window when I leant on the horn ) I now have a dash cam.

The next one who does it will have their details forwarded to the Police

Some forces have a webpage where you can send the footage to them, then they view it and send a letter to the vehicle owner if they deem the incident warrants it.

• Like 1